The Dark Blues

And the Rich Get Richer

Rate this topic

This news on the BBC scotland football web page made me think

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51950991

It says the SFA is to share out £1.5m amongst football clubs to help them through the next few months. It is an advance on a paymet they would have got at the end of the season anyway. It is welcome news and will keep some afloat until the summer at least.

But it seems to me that there is already a much larger pot of money that all Scottish clubs have been indirectly contributing to over many years and which far from being redistributed is now possibly even being added to by this act.

In the year to 30 June 2019 a certain club had made a profit before tax of over £11m and had net cash in the bank of nearly £40m. They could easily double or triple the amount made available by the SFA and decline their own share and barely notice it in their own operations. (a mere Jack Hendry without the monthly salary)

There is still time for them to do the right thing, but I have a horrible feeling they may be thinking more about creating a war chest for lawyers fees if they have to take the SPFL to court to ensure they get their bloody premiership champions trophy.

How far have we come...

• Like 1
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd like to think you're right, but money talks and the football authorities have shown, consistently, just how afraid they are of both big Glasgow clubs.

Very true, but sport is meant to be entertainment, however, unfortunately we've come to a stage where most sports are just dominated by the same one or two wealthy teams and it's become utterly staid

The biggest clubs will survive this and also profit from the smaller clubs being unable to turn down miserly offers for their assets. If rumours of the DAB's debt are true I'd be surprised if they can

11 hours ago, andrak said:

This news on the BBC scotland football web page made me think

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51950991

It says the SFA is to share out £1.5m amongst football clubs to help them through the next few months. It is an advance on a paymet they would have got at the end of the season anyway. It is welcome news and will keep some afloat until the summer at least.

But it seems to me that there is already a much larger pot of money that all Scottish clubs have been indirectly contributing to over many years and which far from being redistributed is now possibly even being added to by this act.

In the year to 30 June 2019 a certain club had made a profit before tax of over £11m and had net cash in the bank of nearly £40m. They could easily double or triple the amount made available by the SFA and decline their own share and barely notice it in their own operations. (a mere Jack Hendry without the monthly salary)

There is still time for them to do the right thing, but I have a horrible feeling they may be thinking more about creating a war chest for lawyers fees if they have to take the SPFL to court to ensure they get their bloody premiership champions trophy.

How far have we come...

Hmm...I hate to say it but why should they?  And should we then consider asking the wealthier, better managed (financially) clubs to subsidise the less well-manged (possibly) clubs?  

I'm in favour of trying to do something to keep all clubs afloat, but I wouldn't expect Celtic to do more than Dundee proportionally.  

8 minutes ago, HK Blues said:

Hmm...I hate to say it but why should they?  And should we then consider asking the wealthier, better managed (financially) clubs to subsidise the less well-manged (possibly) clubs?  

I'm in favour of trying to do something to keep all clubs afloat, but I wouldn't expect Celtic to do more than Dundee proportionally.  

I wouldn't expect it either. I guess it matters where you stand on the question of how Celtic managed to get themselves so fantastically wealthy in comparison to their fellow Scottish teams.

I don't usually advocate for compassion in business. I hope for it and try to show it myself, mind. But there are circumstances here that make things different, don't you think?

2 hours ago, andrak said:

I wouldn't expect it either. I guess it matters where you stand on the question of how Celtic managed to get themselves so fantastically wealthy in comparison to their fellow Scottish teams.

I don't usually advocate for compassion in business. I hope for it and try to show it myself, mind. But there are circumstances here that make things different, don't you think?

It is an interesting point regarding Celtic getting rich off the backs of the rest of us - the same argument could probably be made all the way up the soccer food chain, albeit to a lesser extent. 

No room for compassion in business - isn't that what they say? I think that pretty much sums up the message businesses want us to get. 

11 hours ago, HK Blues said:

It is an interesting point regarding Celtic getting rich off the backs of the rest of us - the same argument could probably be made all the way up the soccer food chain, albeit to a lesser extent. 

No room for compassion in business - isn't that what they say? I think that pretty much sums up the message businesses want us to get. 

Very true, but sport is meant to be entertainment, however, unfortunately we've come to a stage where most sports are just dominated by the same one or two wealthy teams and it's become utterly staid and boring. Who cares who wins the Scottish Premier beyond Celtic fans these days? 

I've basically lost interest in football beyond DFC and sports like F1, which is totally money dominated now, are so predictable over a season that there's basically no point watching. 

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, barkblue said:

Very true, but sport is meant to be entertainment, however, unfortunately we've come to a stage where most sports are just dominated by the same one or two wealthy teams and it's become utterly staid and boring. Who cares who wins the Scottish Premier beyond Celtic fans these days? 

I've basically lost interest in football beyond DFC and sports like F1, which is totally money dominated now, are so predictable over a season that there's basically no point watching. 

I think that maybe because you and many others are so tired of it all, there is a chance that this situation provides the opportunity to change things around a bit at a fairly fundamental level.

Many things will be different on the other end of this, maybe scottish football will be one of them.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, andrak said:

I think that maybe because you and many others are so tired of it all, there is a chance that this situation provides the opportunity to change things around a bit at a fairly fundamental level.

Many things will be different on the other end of this, maybe scottish football will be one of them.

I'd like to think you're right, but money talks and the football authorities have shown, consistently, just how afraid they are of both big Glasgow clubs.

• Like 3
  • Star Post 1

The biggest clubs will survive this and also profit from the smaller clubs being unable to turn down miserly offers for their assets. If rumours of the DAB's debt are true I'd be surprised if they can turn down offers of around the £1m mark for Shankland when they were previously talking about £3m pre COVID-19. Other clubs will have no option but to release good players from their contracts which will benefit teams further up the chain.

• Like 2

I upset a couple of posters previously for talking down Shankland but I am genuinely mystified about this seven-figure chat. He was prolific for Ayr last season and available for free last summer. There was a lot of talk about scouts watching him and clubs like Forest and Rangers preparing bids but in the end nothing materialised. Fast forward 8 months or so and he's continued scoring goals in the same weak league (that's on a par with League Two down south or maybe the National League). He's playing in a stronger team so getting more chances so it was almost inevitable that he'd find the net a lot this season.

The question is... why would a club disinterested in Shankland on a free last summer part with a £1m when he's not stepped up a level? It doesn't make sense.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Cobra said:

I upset a couple of posters previously for talking down Shankland but I am genuinely mystified about this seven-figure chat. He was prolific for Ayr last season and available for free last summer. There was a lot of talk about scouts watching him and clubs like Forest and Rangers preparing bids but in the end nothing materialised. Fast forward 8 months or so and he's continued scoring goals in the same weak league (that's on a par with League Two down south or maybe the National League). He's playing in a stronger team so getting more chances so it was almost inevitable that he'd find the net a lot this season.

The question is... why would a club disinterested in Shankland on a free last summer part with a £1m when he's not stepped up a level? It doesn't make sense.

Clubs down South have the cash so they can afford to pay 7 figures. They could sign him on a free after he's scored a sh*t load of goals, give him a 3yr deal and pay him 10 grand a week or wait to see whether he's a flash in the pan or someone who improves with age. Probably better from their point of view to let him develope where he is before spending dosh, an extra million or two won't make much difference if he's a natural goalscorer.

9 hours ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

Clubs down South have the cash so they can afford to pay 7 figures. They could sign him on a free after he's scored a sh*t load of goals, give him a 3yr deal and pay him 10 grand a week or wait to see whether he's a flash in the pan or someone who improves with age. Probably better from their point of view to let him develope where he is before spending dosh, an extra million or two won't make much difference if he's a natural goalscorer.

I guess Cobra is asking why they'd  spend 1m now when they didn't want him for free a year ago?  He has just proved again that he can score in a 2nd tier league - nothing new there then.

Personally, I imagine scoring regularly for Utd will bring more interest than for Ayr - a**e for elbow as that is.  

On 22/03/2020 at 06:53, HK Blues said:

I guess Cobra is asking why they'd  spend 1m now when they didn't want him for free a year ago?  He has just proved again that he can score in a 2nd tier league - nothing new there then.

Personally, I imagine scoring regularly for Utd will bring more interest than for Ayr - a**e for elbow as that is.  

Scoring a hatful of goals at a so-so level once isn't anything all that special. Doing it for a second season - at another team - would suggest the guy has something about them.

Shankland has a lot of deficiencies, but he can score goals and ultimately every team is looking for that.

• Like 1