The Dark Blues

Netflix/Box Sets

Rate this topic

The better half is a key worker so is putting in loads of hours and I have a lot of hours on my hand so any suggestions what I could watch ?

I do not like any space or futuristic stuff. Like crime, especially British. Watched and enjoyed the Stranger. 

Cheers 

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just finished watching "The English Game" on Netflix, quite amazing to think football was played like that, on those pitches, not long before our club was formed. I know a lot of people (not here) hav

On Netflix.... Other than the 'biggies' like Breaking Bad, these are good quality.... Ozarks, US series, a city-based family get drawn into drug deals, move to the country but still get deep

The Stranger is worth a watch on Netflix, produced by the BBC, 8 episodes.

On Netflix....

Other than the 'biggies' like Breaking Bad, these are good quality....

Ozarks, US series, a city-based family get drawn into drug deals, move to the country but still get deeper into the drug lord circle. Even features Peter Mullen, in season 2. 2 seasons, 3rd 'on the way'

Nobel, a recent Norwegian series, subtitled, set in Afghanistan/Oslo, military/political drama, good plot. 1 season

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
45 minutes ago, WoodStein said:

On Netflix....

Other than the 'biggies' like Breaking Bad, these are good quality....

Ozarks, US series, a city-based family get drawn into drug deals, move to the country but still get deeper into the drug lord circle. Even features Peter Mullen, in season 2. 2 seasons, 3rd 'on the way'

Nobel, a recent Norwegian series, subtitled, set in Afghanistan/Oslo, military/political drama, good plot. 1 season

I will give Ozarks a watch, cheers

• Like 1

Good few mentioned above. Just finished the stranger which was good. Watching line of duty now which is so so. 

Loved ozark and can’t wait for another season

You is good, as was bodyguard and bad blood.

Couple of left field shouts game changer and cowspiracy 👍🏻

Edited by dblair

I accidentally came across the police comedy Reno 911. The first half a dozen episodes are absolutely brilliant. America always milk a good idea and make too many episodes but you have to watch the first series on Amazon if you have Prime. It might not be your type of humour but I loved it.

Another outstanding comedy is This Country which you can watch on BBC iPlayer. It's maybe the best British comedy since I'm Alan Partridge and The Office.

Lilyhammer was better than I expected with Jan being a fascinating character. Been told Hunters on Amazon is brilliant, I'll be giving that a go next.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, chomp my root said:

Been told Hunters on Amazon is brilliant, I'll be giving that a go next.

Hope you can last longer than I did. I thought it was absolutely rubbish and binned it after two. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, WeighorstsWang said:

Hope you can last longer than I did. I thought it was absolutely rubbish and binned it after two. 

And that's as far as I got as well WW ... No' for me either. But knowing there must be stuff I enjoy that others wouldn't ... I guess it's each to their:chaplin:

• Like 2
8 hours ago, chomp my root said:

Lilyhammer was better than I expected with Jan being a fascinating character. 

Have you watched all 3 seasons?....I'm 'biased' due to my length of time in Norway, but they do some great black humour dramas....Jan was superb, and the way the bar manager's character developed over the 3 seasons was interesting. A lot of the cast ended up in Norsemen, when Netflix pulled the plug on Lillyhammer 4.

You'll probably like the film 'Jackpot' ("Lotto" in norsk), "Jan" features in a very different style of character, as does the young cop who did the Elvis tribute. Very black humour, as with Stellan Skarsgaard's "In Order of Disappearance".

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, WoodStein said:

Have you watched all 3 seasons?....I'm 'biased' due to my length of time in Norway, but they do some great black humour dramas....Jan was superb, and the way the bar manager's character developed over the 3 seasons was interesting. A lot of the cast ended up in Norsemen, when Netflix pulled the plug on Lillyhammer 4.

You'll probably like the film 'Jackpot' ("Lotto" in norsk), "Jan" features in a very different style of character, as does the young cop who did the Elvis tribute. Very black humour, as with Stellan Skarsgaard's "In Order of Disappearance".

I binge watched it mate, a solid 8 out of 10 from this Barry Norman, some bits were quite silly but the 'local' characters upped it with Jan being a great character brilliantly portrayed. Only found out that Steven Van Zandt was one of the E Street Band while having a nose on IMBD while watching it. Every day's a school day and all that. Will try and keep an eye out for those other ones, have you seen Max Manus ? I need to watch it again but I loved it at the time, bought it for a couple quid as a risky purchase but loved it.

1 hour ago, chomp my root said:

I binge watched it mate, a solid 8 out of 10 from this Barry Norman, some bits were quite silly but the 'local' characters upped it with Jan being a great character brilliantly portrayed. Only found out that Steven Van Zandt was one of the E Street Band while having a nose on IMBD while watching it. Every day's a school day and all that. Will try and keep an eye out for those other ones, have you seen Max Manus ? I need to watch it again but I loved it at the time, bought it for a couple quid as a risky purchase but loved it.

Unsurprisingly, I suspect your style of humour will help you enjoy "Norsemen", two seasons on Netflix....you'll recognise quite a few faces ('Jan' is a slave, but short-lived!, ), and I'm sure you'll like the chief's wife Freya :spock:. There's a fair bit of pillaging & the other things that went with it. One of my pals stopped watching, due to unnecessarily frequent gratuitous killing of 'gentle saxons'.....just a bit of 'historical accuracy'. :rolleyes:  

It's in english, they filmed 2 versions, one in Norwegian, then in english, to avoid having to use subtitles. Too big a challenge in the US, it seems. :o 

I've been looking for Season 3, and just noticed it's been on NRK in Norway, 21st Feb.....English release imminent. It seems it's maybe on Youtube, not Netflix, and appears to be a 'prequel'....and a Season 4 has already begun filming.

Re 'Little Steven' van Zandt, his performance in the Sopranos, and his liking for Norway, prompted the writers of Lillyhammer to write it around the concept of his character turning 'states evidence' & he loved the script. He's Springsteen's closest pal from their youth in Asbury Park, went solo for a number of years, then rejoined. Look for 'Little Steven & The Disciples of Soul' albums....older & recent.

• Like 2