Jump to content
The Dark Blues

Me Too

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Couldn't agree More. I wrote about this in one of my books about following Dundee when i said that you can always tell a "neutral" as he is one of those people who don't continually look at their watc

My old man has always said "Do not trust a man that doesn't like football" .    

I've enjoyed going to games as a neutral in the past, its a totally different vibe, I get to look at all the dafties screaming "PENALTY !!!!!!!" when as a neutral its never a penalty. You actually get

Its crap eh ? I ended up having to help the missus up the allotment yesterday instead of tinning up watching football and having a wee flutter. 😒

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

Its crap eh ? I ended up having to help the missus up the allotment yesterday instead of tinning up watching football and having a wee flutter. 😒

I've worked with some guys who couldn't care less about football which must be pretty sh*t in Britain given that it is the fall-back for small talk here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cobra said:

I've worked with some guys who couldn't care less about football which must be pretty sh*t in Britain given that it is the fall-back for small talk here.

My old man has always said "Do not trust a man that doesn't like football" .

 

 

  • Funny 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chomp my root said:

Its crap eh ? I ended up having to help the missus up the allotment yesterday instead of tinning up watching football and having a wee flutter. 😒

My missus wants me to clean the bathroom today 🙈 

With her being a key worker and working loads of hours I feel obliged. The last 2 days all Ive done is drink and watch tv.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

There are people like us who love football, there are people who hate it and there are also a lot of people who pretend to like football. Someone will say they are an Arsenal fan and within 30 seconds you realise you know more than they do about their team so they are clearly just trying to fit in with national culture.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cobra said:

There are people like us who love football, there are people who hate it and there are also a lot of people who pretend to like football. Someone will say they are an Arsenal fan and within 30 seconds you realise you know more than they do about their team so they are clearly just trying to fit in with national culture.

Totally agree.

It is the people who say they love football and that they support Man Utd, Chelsea, Barcelona, Celtic etc...

They have never been to a game in their lifes. 

They might love football but are not supporters. Total plastic fans. I find it hilarious.

I know a guy that claims to love Liverpool (he might 🤔) but has never been to see them. When Liverpool won the champions league one of his mates recorded him at the end of the game crying with joy( it is so pathetic) and posted it on social media. What a stick he got from everyone, fully deserved imo.

People like that truly do not understand what real joy is. Being at Fermer park just about greeting at HT on the phone to my missus, then the joy of coming back and winning.Another game with the Letheren safe, that whole day was amazing from hearing in shock what was happening elsewhere to the final whistle. There is so many games I could mention. These moments do deserve tears of joy, watching a team you have never seen win a trophy on tv doesn't. There is no comparison.These plastic fans will never ever feel the real joy of a fan that goes to games and doesn't follow a club that wins 90% of the time. Not for me.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DeeMo said:

Totally agree.

It is the people who say they love football and that they support Man Utd, Chelsea, Barcelona, Celtic etc...

They have never been to a game in their lifes. 

They might love football but are not supporters. Total plastic fans. I find it hilarious.

I know a guy that claims to love Liverpool (he might 🤔) but has never been to see them. When Liverpool won the champions league one of his mates recorded him at the end of the game crying with joy( it is so pathetic) and posted it on social media. What a stick he got from everyone, fully deserved imo.

People like that truly do not understand what real joy is. Being at Fermer park just about greeting at HT on the phone to my missus, then the joy of coming back and winning.Another game with the Letheren safe, that whole day was amazing from hearing in shock what was happening elsewhere to the final whistle. There is so many games I could mention. These moments do deserve tears of joy, watching a team you have never seen win a trophy on tv doesn't. There is no comparison.These plastic fans will never ever feel the real joy of a fan that goes to games and doesn't follow a club that wins 90% of the time. Not for me.

I used to live with this Londoner in Walthamstow. He's a good guy who calls himself a West Ham fan but I couldn't have a football conversation with him because he didn't have anything to say. I think it was a superficial thing to fit in. We had a party one day at the house and West Ham were playing Liverpool in the FA Cup final and I was glued to the box and he wasn't watching it. Ridiculous. I think if I had no interest in football I wouldn't pick a team to support. It just makes you look a bit daft when you don't even know you their players are.

My ex's brother used to have a season ticket for Ibrox bought by his uncle and he'd go to games when they were winning titles. As soon as they stopped winning trophies he never went near the ground. He just liked the image of being Rangers fan and liked the success. He's another one you couldn't talk to about football because there was no knowledge there.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Cobra said:

I used to live with this Londoner in Walthamstow. He's a good guy who calls himself a West Ham fan but I couldn't have a football conversation with him because he didn't have anything to say. I think it was a superficial thing to fit in. We had a party one day at the house and West Ham were playing Liverpool in the FA Cup final and I was glued to the box and he wasn't watching it. Ridiculous. I think if I had no interest in football I wouldn't pick a team to support. It just makes you look a bit daft when you don't even know you their players are.

My ex's brother used to have a season ticket for Ibrox bought by his uncle and he'd go to games when they were winning titles. As soon as they stopped winning trophies he never went near the ground. He just liked the image of being Rangers fan and liked the success. He's another one you couldn't talk to about football because there was no knowledge there.

I work (worked, hopefully will work with again) with a guy that claims to support Chelsea and Celtic. He has never been to see either of them in his life. He does know all the players etc and wears all the gear. What I can't get my head around is the way he is when either get beat. How can someone get so emotional when you haven't set foot in Stamford Bridge or the begging bowl. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DeeMo said:

Totally agree.

It is the people who say they love football and that they support Man Utd, Chelsea, Barcelona, Celtic etc...

They have never been to a game in their lifes. 

They might love football but are not supporters. Total plastic fans. I find it hilarious.

I know a guy that claims to love Liverpool (he might 🤔) but has never been to see them. When Liverpool won the champions league one of his mates recorded him at the end of the game crying with joy( it is so pathetic) and posted it on social media. What a stick he got from everyone, fully deserved imo.

People like that truly do not understand what real joy is. Being at Fermer park just about greeting at HT on the phone to my missus, then the joy of coming back and winning.Another game with the Letheren safe, that whole day was amazing from hearing in shock what was happening elsewhere to the final whistle. There is so many games I could mention. These moments do deserve tears of joy, watching a team you have never seen win a trophy on tv doesn't. There is no comparison.These plastic fans will never ever feel the real joy of a fan that goes to games and doesn't follow a club that wins 90% of the time. Not for me.

Couldn't agree More. I wrote about this in one of my books about following Dundee when i said that you can always tell a "neutral" as he is one of those people who don't continually look at their watch from the start of the second half,willing the full time whistle if we are winning and willing it not to happen if we are losing.They are the people who don't hold their hand in their head in their hands uttering a profanity if we miss a sitter and are a bag of nerves the whole game. When Dundee don't have a game i become one of those people when i attend a game as a neutral and although its nice not to be constantly on edge its just not the same. And yes those guys that say they support the old firm or Man uUd just don't have a clue what following a football team is all about.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate there being not Scottish  football. I have been an Arsenal fan  (of sorts) since the seventies as well, going down to see them when possible. Don't hate Spurs, in fact quite like them because of Gillie. Been to that derby but there isn't the same needle for me personally,  as the Arsenal feelings are  nowhere near the Dundee  ones.  Miss seeing Dundee big time - that after being so p'd off with them earlier on this season.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Couldn't agree More. I wrote about this in one of my books about following Dundee when i said that you can always tell a "neutral" as he is one of those people who don't continually look at their watch from the start of the second half,willing the full time whistle if we are winning and willing it not to happen if we are losing.They are the people who don't hold their head in their hands uttering a profanity if we miss a sitter and go mental when we score and are a bag of nerves the whole game. When Dundee don't have a game i become one of those people when i attend a game as a neutral and although its nice not to be constantly on edge its just not the same. And yes those guys that say they support  one of the Old Firm clubs or Man Utd just don't have a clue what following a football team is all about.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, petercaproni said:

Couldn't agree More. I wrote about this in one of my books about following Dundee when i said that you can always tell a "neutral" as he is one of those people who don't continually look at their watch from the start of the second half,willing the full time whistle if we are winning and willing it not to happen if we are losing.They are the people who don't hold their hand in their head in their hands uttering a profanity if we miss a sitter and are a bag of nerves the whole game. When Dundee don't have a game i become one of those people when i attend a game as a neutral and although its nice not to be constantly on edge its just not the same. And yes those guys that say they support the old firm or Man uUd just don't have a clue what following a football team is all about.

I've enjoyed going to games as a neutral in the past, its a totally different vibe, I get to look at all the dafties screaming "PENALTY !!!!!!!" when as a neutral its never a penalty. You actually get to watch the football more too. When I'm watching Dundee I'm one of the dafties, that passion is what makes you a fan of a club and its what a lot of us get from being a supporter of a team as opposed to a fan of football. I'm both.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to admit that I'm not football daft anymore. I missed there not being a Dundee game at the weekend but didn't feel lost, to be honest. There's much more going on than that, even if going to Dens takes top priority when there is a game on, as does following updates when we are away from home. It's years since I watched Jeff and the boys and I couldn't really care less about what the scores are elsewhere.

That said, I'm a bag of nerves or cockahoop or utterly bereft during games but my days of the football utterly dominating everything I do are long gone.

On 23/03/2020 at 13:01, DeeMo said:

I work (worked, hopefully will work with again) with a guy that claims to support Chelsea and Celtic. He has never been to see either of them in his life. He does know all the players etc and wears all the gear. What I can't get my head around is the way he is when either get beat. How can someone get so emotional when you haven't set foot in Stamford Bridge or the begging bowl. 

 

Although interestingly I must admit to running around the living room at around 4am in October 2004 when the Boston Red Sox won the World Series for the first time since 1918. I've never even been to America, never mind Boston, but following the team's fortunes since 1996 (when my eldest was born and I found myself up in the middle of the night most nights) for those 8 years saw me develop a passion for the team that, while not matching what I feel in Dens Park, certainly was strong enough for me to seriously celebrating the game 4 win that clinched the title. Back then I could probably have told you more about baseball than football, but as with every other sport, pay per view killed my viewing and eventually my interest in the game.

So in many ways I suppose I do get that remote fanaticism that's easy to poo-poo.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.