The Dark Blues

During This 'Nae Fitba Time' Whit Have Ye Awe Been Daein?

Rate this topic

I'm still checking over on a daily basis the Dark Blue Forum ...

And it seem to me, as unsurprisingly quiet as it is, during this scary (& non-fitba) time, it appears to me, that many of you,

have just aboot given up on the idea of living ... And maybe possibly spending too much "on erse, watching Box Sets" :chin:

This might be the time to try something new lads/lasses, Even if yir garden is no more than a window box, get oot there.

Also surprise yourself with some creative cooking/ baking in the kitchen...Ye cannae beat the home baking and cooking.

As you know I like growing tomatoes...Bet ye didnae ken that ;) Well during this quiet time decided to extend my range.

Noo as well as my much loved range of tomatoes (more than a dozen varieties) I've also sown a range of veg & flowers.

But in kitchen I've moved into new territory here, Home Baked Bread & Rolls are a given for me, but now something new;

Twiddling my way through youtube, I came across a recipe for toffee/candy....In the last three days, I've been going daft.

Caramels; wi' nuts, caramel wi chocolate, Puff Candy, which is great but simple to make (butter, sugar, bicarbonate soda)

I know above's not for everyone, but maybe worth a try? Or give me some of your creative ideas I've never been busier:chaplin:

• Like 1
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not a lot. Just counting down the days until the season is declared null and void, Shankland moves to Aberdeen and the demoralised dabs get humped at Dens in the first derby of the new season.

Home schooling 3 kids at the moment. finding it strangely enjoyable as it keeps me occupied and away from the tv. I work for an offshore service company so not needed anytime soon! Trying to stay posi

Mostly working from home, trying not to drink too much coffee. Getting some miles in on the turbo trainer in the garage instead of going out cycling...........I know how much everybody loves cycl

I'm still working but day off Wednesday went out and did a fair bit of weeding in the back garden & also made apple crumble. 

With no fitba on the telly, you realise just how bad the general TV is.

Gedee try this recipe for tablet.

Large pyrex baking bowl

1lb castor sugar, 2oz butter, 1/4 pint milk, 1 dessert syrup. Heat on high for 3-3 1/2 mins. Stir well to dissolve sugar. Heat on high for approximately 8 mins, stirring occasionally until it reaches setting point as for traditional tablet. Add a few drops vanilla essence and beat well. Pour into a well greased sponge tin. Cut into squares when cold.

• Like 2

Mostly working from home, trying not to drink too much coffee.

Getting some miles in on the turbo trainer in the garage instead of going out cycling...........I know how much everybody loves cyclists :D

I was tempted to get the mountain bike out for a bike ride through Templeton Woods and Campy but can't be bothered dodging dog walkers that think their pooch is everybody's friend......you know the people that stand there shouting their mutt's name at the top of their voice and telling you it's ok he won't touch you

All dogs should keep their owners on a lead :D

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

Trying to access DEETV content on freeview 😉

DEETalk. Good start.

Edited by Dondeh
  • Like 1
38 minutes ago, Mary said:

I'm still working but day off Wednesday went out and did a fair bit of weeding in the back garden & also made apple crumble. 

Large pyrex baking bowl

1lb castor sugar, 2oz butter, 1/4 pint milk, 1 dessert syrup. Heat on high for 3-3 1/2 mins. Stir well to dissolve sugar. Heat on high for approximately 8 mins, stirring occasionally until it reaches setting point as for traditional tablet. Add a few drops vanilla essence and beat well. Pour into a well greased sponge tin. Cut into squares when cold.

Good on ye Mary ...

Thanks for taking the time to write out the recipe (It's more than likely I''ll try that one) although the next one was to be Fudge Would it work with coconut? 

Didnae bother writing recipes myself, on the basis that it only takes few seconds to check out you-tube, & there's the benefit of a practical demonstration. 

Going back to coconut; Wee while ago I bought few tins of coconut milk. Think it wis a Lidl Special ;) Never used it, but noo see a Fudge Recipe using that.

LIKE MY LONG JOHNS, I'VE GIVEN UP ON MY EVER-INCREASING BELLY. BUT I'D LIKE TO HING ON TO MY 6 NATURAL TEETH FOR ANITHER FEW DAYS:chaplin:

14 minutes ago, Gedee said:

Good on ye Mary ...

Thanks for taking the time to write out the recipe (It's more than likely I''ll try that one) although the next one was to be Fudge Would it work with coconut? 

Didnae bother writing recipes myself, on the basis that it only takes few seconds to check out you-tube, & there's the benefit of a practical demonstration. 

Going back to coconut; Wee while ago I bought few tins of coconut milk. Think it wis a Lidl Special ;) Never used it, but noo see a Fudge Recipe using that.

LIKE MY LONG JOHNS, I'VE GIVEN UP ON MY EVER-INCREASING BELLY. BUT I'D LIKE TO HING ON TO MY 6 NATURAL TEETH FOR ANITHER FEW DAYS:chaplin:

Just wrote it out because it's an easy one to remember. I have added coconut to the tablet a couple of times and it worked well.

• Thanks 1
30 minutes ago, Harold Finch said:

Mostly working from home, trying not to drink too much coffee.

Getting some miles in on the turbo trainer in the garage instead of going out cycling...........I know how much everybody loves cyclists :D

I was tempted to get the mountain bike out for a bike ride through Templeton Woods and Campy but can't be bothered dodging dog walkers that think their pooch is everybody's friend......you know the people that stand there shouting their mutt's name at the top of their voice and telling you it's ok he won't touch you

All dogs should keep their owners on a lead :D

Having had four dogs together for over 12-15 years (all passed on over the last two years & we've now recently got a new wee pup) I understand your issues with some dog owners Harold. Fortunately we are more or less, surrounded by open country, which is ideal for walkers (with or withoot dogs)

But I've never understood dog owners who think it's fine to allow their dogs off the lead ... Whether they think they can control their dogs or not. It seems to me they have little concern for other dogs /dog owners/bilkers/ or folk enjoying a quiet walk ... Anyway freend, keep up the good work:chaplin:

Only been housebound since yesterday but so far I've been helping my younger two squeeze their Uni living stuff back into our house as they are both back home now. 

In between all of that it's been writing and editing a few music reviews for the website I scribble away for and as of today looking over a retro-blog for TDB's  that I've had sitting on my desktop for a couple of months. 

So far I haven't caught up on much telly at all, although I did watch Portraits From Afghanistan from i-player last night which was rather excellent. It is a portrait of Scottish war photographer David Pratt and his history with the country taking us through his time covering the Russian invasion, civil wars and then the more recent conflicts. 

13 minutes ago, barkblue said:

Only been housebound since yesterday but so far I've been helping my younger two squeeze their Uni living stuff back into our house as they are both back home now. 

In between all of that it's been writing and editing a few music reviews for the website I scribble away for and as of today looking over a retro-blog for TDB's  that I've had sitting on my desktop for a couple of months. 

So far I haven't caught up on much telly at all, although I did watch Portraits From Afghanistan from i-player last night which was rather excellent. It is a portrait of Scottish war photographer David Pratt and his history with the country taking us through his time covering the Russian invasion, civil wars and then the more recent conflicts. 

Get the impression barkblue, that you would have little time filling in your day.

If that is the case, I think I could say, there was a time. I was that way myself ... To my mind, both on a physical level, accompanied by a brain, that seemed to have difficulty switching off at times. But age catches up with us all I guess. And these days, I'm no as sharp or as fit as I'd like to be some (most) days ....

Mind coming on here and annoying a few fowk and driving them daft maist days, gies me a lot of pleasure.:chaplin:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
1 hour ago, Gedee said:

Get the impression barkblue, that you would have little time filling in your day.

If that is the case, I think I could say, there was a time. I was that way myself ... To my mind, both on a physical level, accompanied by a brain, that seemed to have difficulty switching off at times. But age catches up with us all I guess. And these days, I'm no as sharp or as fit as I'd like to be some (most) days ....

Mind coming on here and annoying a few fowk and driving them daft maist days, gies me a lot of pleasure.:chaplin:

Although I don't always feel that way I'm very fortunate that I'm (maybe too) comfortable with my own company and could fill my day, every day, ten times over. Admittedly most of that is trivial nonsense that only matters to me. The physical side isn't all that important to me (my body is a temple..... only it was lost in a rainforest 2000 years ago!) although I'm around 7 or 8 stone lighter than I once was. However I need to keep the grey matter churning and while I do enjoy a fair amount of TV, there are a million things I'd rather be doing instead. 

Barkblue - self isolating since before it was a thing! 

• Like 3

Home schooling 3 kids at the moment. finding it strangely enjoyable as it keeps me occupied and away from the tv. I work for an offshore service company so not needed anytime soon! Trying to stay positive in extremely challenging times.

• Like 5

Not a lot. Just counting down the days until the season is declared null and void, Shankland moves to Aberdeen and the demoralised dabs get humped at Dens in the first derby of the new season.

• Funny 5
3 hours ago, Mary said:

Large pyrex baking bowl

What..nae condensed milk🤔

• Funny 1
7 hours ago, mitch said:

What..nae condensed milk🤔

No & it works out well 👍

7 hours ago, BigG said:

Home schooling 3 kids at the moment. finding it strangely enjoyable as it keeps me occupied and away from the tv. I work for an offshore service company so not needed anytime soon! Trying to stay positive in extremely challenging times.

That's all you can do. I've a nearly 17 year old who was sent home from college the week before the lock down as there was a positive case reported. He's in his element as he's been practising social isolation for years. 🤣🤣

• Funny 2