The Dark Blues

Dundee V Liverpool Floodlight Inauguration

Rate this topic

The 60th anniversary of this match held at Dens to mark the inauguration of our Floodlights was marked a few days ago in the Courier.It was before the great days for both sides we were average in League 1 and Liverpool languished in English second Division.The Shankly brothers were hardly known but the two brothers Bob and Bill faced each other as managers for probably the only time.I was at the match with pals and still have the Match Programme.

Dundee won 1-0.The Courier article last week reported that there was doubt surrounding the goal.Was it a Hugh 'Shug'Robertson special direct from a corner or was it an o.g. by their goalkeeper they asked?I remember only one thing from the match and that is the goal.Shuggie took a corner at the T.C.Keay end just by the players tunnel.An inswinger which went straight in despite the flailing arms of their keeper.In these days goals direct from corners happened now and again and I think Shuggie scored a few.Bert Slater was the Liverpool goalkeeper and while that was not his finest hour I never have thought it was an o.g.

Bert signed for Dundee 2 years later and then enjoyed many fine hours iparticularly in our European Cup campaign .Never forget the sight of him in Cologne away match coming on for the second half dazed and bloodied to play left wing to keep up the numbers with no subs.in these days.

In Thursdays Craigie column of the Courier they record the content of an email from Ken Abbott in Australia in which he states that the goal came from a short corner at the TCKeay end.The ball was rolled to Alan Cousin who confused the Liverpool defence with his trademark double shuffle,drove the ball into the penalty area and it ended up in the back of the net.

Ken Abbott adds the following comment which is worthy of noting ''Unfortunately these heavenly days did not last as long as we hoped but  the short ride into the history books was a  privilege

to witness.The match will remain forever in my memory until the final whistle is blown'.

The memory plays tricks,anyone else remember that goal and who scored It ?My recollection is clearly of a corner, Bert Slater  possibly getting a touch on it but not of an o.g. and Ken Abbot now introduces Alan Cousin as the scorer.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Star Post 2
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The 60th anniversary of this match held at Dens to mark the inauguration of our Floodlights was marked a few days ago in the Courier.It was before the great days for both sides we were average in Leag

The memory does play tricks with us - I could have sworn Utd were champions in the 2019/20 season yet were still DOON the following season!   

On 28/03/2020 at 11:20, dfcman said:

The 60th anniversary of this match held at Dens to mark the inauguration of our Floodlights was marked a few days ago in the Courier.It was before the great days for both sides we were average in League 1 and Liverpool languished in English second Division.The Shankly brothers were hardly known but the two brothers Bob and Bill faced each other as managers for probably the only time.I was at the match with pals and still have the Match Programme.

Dundee won 1-0.The Courier article last week reported that there was doubt surrounding the goal.Was it a Hugh 'Shug'Robertson special direct from a corner or was it an o.g. by their goalkeeper they asked?I remember only one thing from the match and that is the goal.Shuggie took a corner at the T.C.Keay end just by the players tunnel.An inswinger which went straight in despite the flailing arms of their keeper.In these days goals direct from corners happened now and again and I think Shuggie scored a few.Bert Slater was the Liverpool goalkeeper and while that was not his finest hour I never have thought it was an o.g.

Bert signed for Dundee 2 years later and then enjoyed many fine hours iparticularly in our European Cup campaign .Never forget the sight of him in Cologne away match coming on for the second half dazed and bloodied to play left wing to keep up the numbers with no subs.in these days.

In Thursdays Craigie column of the Courier they record the content of an email from Ken Abbott in Australia in which he states that the goal came from a short corner at the TCKeay end.The ball was rolled to Alan Cousin who confused the Liverpool defence with his trademark double shuffle,drove the ball into the penalty area and it ended up in the back of the net.

Ken Abbott adds the following comment which is worthy of noting ''Unfortunately these heavenly days did not last as long as we hoped but  the short ride into the history books was a  privilege

to witness.The match will remain forever in my memory until the final whistle is blown'.

The memory plays tricks,anyone else remember that goal and who scored It ?My recollection is clearly of a corner, Bert Slater  possibly getting a touch on it but not of an o.g. and Ken Abbot now introduces Alan Cousin as the scorer.

Noticed he also said Dundee played in white, but am sure I’ve seen a photo from this game with us wearing dark blue?

On 28/03/2020 at 11:20, dfcman said:

The memory plays tricks,anyone else remember that goal and who scored It ?My recollection is clearly of a corner, Bert Slater  possibly getting a touch on it but not of an o.g. and Ken Abbot now introduces Alan Cousin as the score

I was only 3 at the time so have no recollection of the game... But great post and thanks for sharing with us 👍

The memory does play tricks with us - I could have sworn Utd were champions in the 2019/20 season yet were still DOON the following season!   

• Love 1
  • Funny 2
On 29/03/2020 at 22:45, johan scott said:

Noticed he also said Dundee played in white, but am sure I’ve seen a photo from this game with us wearing dark blue?

Would have to delve into old newspaper record to see but somehow i seem to think we were in all white maybe in case the new floodlights werent that good

10 hours ago, dfcman said:

Would have to delve into old newspaper record to see but somehow i seem to think we were in all white maybe in case the new floodlights werent that good

Photo in They wore the Dark Blue confirms dark blue.

13 hours ago, johan scott said:

Photo in They wore the Dark Blue confirms dark blue.

I was standing in the TCK end and it was definitely Shugs goal direct from a corner.