The Dark Blues

Dundee V Leeds United

Rate this topic

Anyone remember the game played at Dens possibly late 80s early 90s. Think it was maybe an anniversary of the Fairs cup game in 1968. Jim Mclean played for Dundee and i'm sure someone broke their leg. Remember going with my Dad but can't remember who was playing for either side? Anyone got the teams from that game?

• Like 1
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Early 90,s big crowd, as stated before a lot big name players for Leeds,    the broughty  ferry branch of Dundee supporters was  not long started at the time, and if memory serves me correct

This game was played in our Centenary season, as was mentioned in a previous post, organised by the Broughty Ferry branch of the DSA

Anyone remember the game played at Dens possibly late 80s early 90s. Think it was maybe an anniversary of the Fairs cup game in 1968. Jim Mclean played for Dundee and i'm sure someone broke their leg.

Posted Images

Was it a Peter Lorimer benefit game you're thinking of in March/April 1978? 

Ray Hankin played for Leeds, big money signing. That's all I remember, and Lorimer played of course, maybe for both sides. 

Jim McLean I can't remember. 

1 minute ago, blueboy said:

Was it a Peter Lorimer benefit game you're thinking of in March/April 1978? 

Ray Hankin played for Leeds, big money signing. That's all I remember, and Lorimer played of course, maybe for both sides. 

Jim McLean I can't remember. 

No defo around the time mentioned as I was there. Sure it was something to do with the Fairs Cup. Leeds had some well known players playing

2 minutes ago, thepole said:

No defo around the time mentioned as I was there. Sure it was something to do with the Fairs Cup. Leeds had some well known players playing

The Fairs Cup was long before then mate. It had become the UEFA Cup by the 80s.

We played Leeds in the Fairs Cup in 1968. I've no memory of us playing Leeds since I've been going since the late 70s, but might be wrong.

2 minutes ago, barkblue said:

The Fairs Cup was long before then mate. It had become the UEFA Cup by the 80s.

We played Leeds in the Fairs Cup in 1968. I've no memory of us playing Leeds since I've been going since the late 70s, but might be wrong.

Sorry mate I meant the game was an anniversary type thing celebrating the 1968 semi final. Loads of Ex Pros who played that game played at Dens possibly a charity thing I can't remember. Must have been in the early 90s

3 minutes ago, thepole said:

Sorry mate I meant the game was an anniversary type thing celebrating the 1968 semi final. Loads of Ex Pros who played that game played at Dens possibly a charity thing I can't remember. Must have been in the early 90s

Hmmm... that doesn't ring any bells at all.

14 minutes ago, Hamishlebaux19 said:

Sir booby cox was on for about 5 minutes 😎

Any other info you can remember? Dates, teams? 

1 hour ago, thepole said:

I'm sure I haven't made this up 😂

You're spot on mate. It was a rematch of a game we played against Leeds in the 60's. Don't know the exact team but I'll have a stab at most of them,

Donaldson

Stewart

Wilson

Robinson

Scott

Wallace

McLean

Murray

Johnston.

1 minute ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

You're spot on mate. It was a rematch of a game we played against Leeds in the 60's. Don't know the exact team but I'll have a stab at most of them,

Donaldson

Stewart

Wilson

Robinson

Scott

Wallace

McLean

Murray

Easton.

Cheers 

Some big names in the Leeds lineup from memory 

• Like 1

Early 90,s big crowd, as stated before a lot big name players for Leeds, 

the broughty  ferry branch of Dundee supporters was  not long started at the time, and if memory serves me correctly, we had a lot of involvement in organising for the game etc, 

i would hope some of the older guys, of which I am one, who have a better memory than me, could give more details on it, 

it was a great night meeting all the older Dundee and Leeds players, big jack charlton did a talk, which was really good 

sorry can’t remember much more, but once the old brain gets going, something else might spring to mind 

😎😎😎😎😎

• Like 1
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, thepole said:

Cheers 

Some big names in the Leeds lineup from memory 

Yeah that's right. I've edited the team as I remember it. I think we played a bit of a makeshift team as apposed to the actual team that played in the 60's as I know Gordon Wallace didn't resign for Dundee until 1970. We pumped them maybe 5-2 with the players showing a fair degree of skill although the game was understandably played at a much slower pace.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, thepole said:

Anyone remember the game played at Dens possibly late 80s early 90s. Think it was maybe an anniversary of the Fairs cup game in 1968. Jim Mclean played for Dundee and i'm sure someone broke their leg. Remember going with my Dad but can't remember who was playing for either side? Anyone got the teams from that game?

I can’t remember the teams but it was big George Stewart who broke his leg. It soured the whole game.

• Like 1

This game was played in our Centenary season, as was mentioned in a previous post, organised by the Broughty Ferry branch of the DSA

FC551C1F-EA7F-4551-918B-1ECFD4C6B8E4.jpeg

14542C0E-9B50-44DD-8E70-2793300565F7.jpeg

67BE3E0F-60F6-42DF-9B62-44A3B8BC531F.jpeg

• Love 2