The Dark Blues

Amalgamation?

Rate this topic

If there's no football for another 6 months it's going to push so many professional clubs to the brink and neither of the Dundee clubs are immune to the dangers of this financial crisis. Both American owners will be acutely aware of this so is there a real risk they could use this as a justification to say that both clubs need to merge resources in order to keep professional football in the city? I f.... g hope not but the world is going to be a different place after this and I feel football in Scotland in particular will also have to adapt to survive. 

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The6 could share umpteen things in my book, a stadium, training facilities, payroll systems, windae cleaners, caterers etc. All fine but not my team.

It was suggested, somewhere on TV, some months ago, that the wee clubs in Angus (and no....all joking apart, "they" werenae included ) should merge to form a stronger club. Completely misses the point

Stupid thread, the only people who bring it up are trolls.

37 minutes ago, Wackyjim said:

If there's no football for another 6 months it's going to push so many professional clubs to the brink and neither of the Dundee clubs are immune to the dangers of this financial crisis. Both American owners will be acutely aware of this so is there a real risk they could use this as a justification to say that both clubs need to merge resources in order to keep professional football in the city? I f.... g hope not but the world is going to be a different place after this and I feel football in Scotland in particular will also have to adapt to survive. 

Fans don't want it and won't support it. That in itself makes it a horrendously bad business solution to any kind of issue that this or any other circumstance may throw up.

• Like 1

It was suggested, somewhere on TV, some months ago, that the wee clubs in Angus (and no....all joking apart, "they" werenae included :lol2:) should merge to form a stronger club. Completely misses the point that, for them, their 'county rivalry' & frequent derbies in Forfar, Brechin, Montrose are a big part of those fans lives....and even at that lower level, you remove that & they have no identity. It's not all about history & trophies.

I know we can look back at the fraught merger of Caley & Thistle in Inverness, and point to their 'new club' relative success....just getting into the SPFL was major step....but this 'new club' hasn't yet built the 'merged' fanbase that I think was anticipated.  

However.....I guess there is far bigger threat, this time, that a continued lack of football may well see some radical changes evolve below the full-time club level.

• Like 2
  • Star Post 1

Anyone that thinks that the clubs should amalgamate and that there would be this fantastic support and a team capable of challenging at the top of Scottish football just doesn't understand football. Some neutrals would go and some others might go out of curiosity, the died in the wool fans on both sides of the street would walk away. We'd probably see some futile attempt at a resurection with a DFC 2021 playing amateur in front of a couple of hundred fans but that'd be about it. 

• Like 2

An amalgamation that kills two off the biggest seven clubs in the country and one of the big three derbies, and creates a new club that would maybe attract a few hundred not very loyal fans? It's a century too late for that idea.

The only thing that might make financial sense would be a takeover that keeps one set of fans on-side and kills off their rivals. For a takeover to happen you need one club to be desperate and that doesn't seem to be the case so I think there's next to zero chance of such discussions taking place in the near future.

Is this what it's come to ?

While I can see the logic of an amalgamation from a purely pragmatic point of view, its not going to happen, even FPS have got that message.

The only thing I can see changing is that there may be more impetus towards a ground-share idea.  That may not be 100% desirable seeing as we want our own spanking new stadium for just us but it wouldn't be the end of the world either.  

Amal Gamation? 

Was he somebody we signed under Bonetti but hardly played like Lucas Gatti? 

We've got insurance. Let them f**cking die. 

10 hours ago, rossbatchelor9 said:

Stupid thread, the only people who bring it up are trolls.

Off you pop then.... If you actually read the post rather than immediately suggest I'm a troll then you will see that I haven't said anything about a one club city I'm suggesting combined resources ie ground sharing etc... I think there will be many other clubs thinking the same thing to reduce costs but even ground sharing is hugely contentious... Would hearts be happy with Easter road as their new home and would we be happy having Tannadice.. I'm not trying to create a bun fight on here but I've no doubt in my mind that once this horrible time is over the financial implications will be a huge problem for most if not all clubs in Scotland and some difficult decisions will have to be made 

Edited by Wackyjim
1 hour ago, Wackyjim said:

Off you pop then.... If you actually read the post rather than immediately suggest I'm a troll then you will see that I haven't said anything about a one club city I'm suggesting combined resources ie ground sharing etc... I think there will be many other clubs thinking the same thing to reduce costs but even ground sharing is hugely contentious... Would hearts be happy with Easter road as their new home and would we be happy having Tannadice.. I'm not trying to create a bun fight on here but I've no doubt in my mind that once this horrible time is over the financial implications will be a huge problem for most if not all clubs in Scotland and some difficult decisions will have to be made 

To be fair titling the thread 'Amalgamation?' is going to elicit emotive responses as that is essentially suggesting two entities becoming one entity. Many will see the word and make assumptions - I did initially but as you say the body of the OP reads as sharing resources.

You shouldn't really be surprised at people kicking back on the very suggestion of amalgamation.

54 minutes ago, Prince Buster said:

To be fair titling the thread 'Amalgamation?' is going to elicit emotive responses as that is essentially suggesting two entities becoming one entity. Many will see the word and make assumptions - I did initially but as you say the body of the OP reads as sharing resources.

You shouldn't really be surprised at people kicking back on the very suggestion of amalgamation.

Perhaps PB it all depends on one's interpretion...just irked at the unnecessary comment from Ross 

• Like 1