The Dark Blues

What do You Miss?

Rate this topic

What do you miss from your time being a Dee as a kid?

For me it's the old terracing, the smell of the pipe smoke, the old clock at TC Keay end, the walk up the old Derry steps, going to the DFC shop in the Keiller Centre, guys selling fanzines at the top of the Hilltown.

• Like 3
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The simplicity of going to watch a game of football with your mates and only knowing the team as they lined up. Getting your daily DFC feed from the local press and not having to worry about politics,

What do you miss from your time being a Dee as a kid? For me it's the old terracing, the smell of the pipe smoke, the old clock at TC Keay end, the walk up the old Derry steps, going to the DFC s

The players in those days went downhill fast!

The noise in the Derry on Derby day, people used to whistle when the Utd team was read out over the tannoy. I remember it being particularly deafening in 89 when Wright scored a hatrick in the famous 4-3 victory. I also miss the open terracing at the top of the Derry steps nearest the Provy rd end.  Along with Cobra, the famous Clock at the TCKay end of the ground. (Enigma the disappearance of it).

• Like 1

Like almost everyone else, the anticipation of climbing the Derry steps and the utterly magnificent view once you got there whether on a sunny afternoon or chilly Wednesday (as midweek games used to be) night.

Every new season it slightly took the breath away when you got to the top and just took it all in. Very few views like that in British football.

Goodness knows how many times I took that journey and still found myself lingering at the crest just breathing in the sight and sounds of Dens Park. And that the sound, on the day of a big game, just louder and louder the higher you got up the steps built the anticipation in a way that I haven't experienced since.

Honestly can't say how much I miss that when I compare it to the ho-hum experience of clunking through the Coxy turnstiles and turning my back on the pitch as I climb the stairs to my current seat.

Don't know what you got, and all that.... 😭😭😭

• Like 2
  • Star Post 1

The simplicity of going to watch a game of football with your mates and only knowing the team as they lined up. Getting your daily DFC feed from the local press and not having to worry about politics, financial issues and the ins and outs of Tom, Dick and Harry's contract. 

• Like 6
  • Star Post 1

The hand operated half-time scoreboard at the T C Keay end, with the key in the programme as to which match was which. And the Hamilton fan with leather lungs who used to stand on the flat roof of the T C Keay factory and make his opinions known to us all. 

• Like 1

Standing in the queue for the kiosk and still watching the game, getting a sneaky in or a free comp, the grand national result getting played over the tannoy,  getting a programme, the atmosphere, John Brown, mongoose and cobra, wearing a scarf and just the actual love we all had for the Dees. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

Living away now I miss not going with mates for beers before and after and reading the Sporting Post on a Sat night post game

I'd have said I missed that since I started going with the wife and young lass but if truth be told my wallet and waistline have got fatter and thinner in that order. Spent some great days and nights having pre and post match beers with mates but spent an absolute fortune. Worth every penny but I'm glad I don't do it every week now.

• Funny 1

Having to be in the Derry by 2.20pm on big match days to get your normal spot on the bench.

The climb up the stairs.

Singing to Archie.

The train home after a victory

• Like 2
5 hours ago, barkblue said:

Like almost everyone else, the anticipation of climbing the Derry steps and the utterly magnificent view once you got there whether on a sunny afternoon or chilly Wednesday (as midweek games used to be) night.

Every new season it slightly took the breath away when you got to the top and just took it all in. Very few views like that in British football.

Goodness knows how many times I took that journey and still found myself lingering at the crest just breathing in the sight and sounds of Dens Park. And that the sound, on the day of a big game, just louder and louder the higher you got up the steps built the anticipation in a way that I haven't experienced since.

Honestly can't say how much I miss that when I compare it to the ho-hum experience of clunking through the Coxy turnstiles and turning my back on the pitch as I climb the stairs to my current seat.

Don't know what you got, and all that.... 😭😭😭

Brilliant post Barkblue.

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, thegen65 said:

Brilliant post Barkblue.

Thanks mate!

• Like 1

The unfounded optimism of being a youthful Dee in pre social media times.

Having a Dundee player as one of your heroes.

Players lining up numbered 1 -11 and you knew what number related to the position on the pitch.

The benches in the Provie Road.

Proper celebrations when we score a goal.

All of that said, I probably just miss the Dundee of my youth, old Dens, old Dundee strips, feeling like you knew the players, how much more it meant to me back then,  football before coloured boots and base layers, going for a beer in a Dundee player's pub.

I've just realised I'm getting old :D

• Like 3