The Dark Blues

Supplies

Rate this topic

Just had this thought that there might be folk out there isolated and unable to order stuff because all the slots are taken. If there are any Dees, Arabs or whatever who need essentials then drop me a PM. I'm sure I or someone else can help out.

• Like 4
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just had this thought that there might be folk out there isolated and unable to order stuff because all the slots are taken. If there are any Dees, Arabs or whatever who need essentials then drop me a

..... for a selfish b'stard. 🤣

It's all very crushing freend. But I understand the situation ... Money Talks I was well warned. But she drew me in wi her false promises & her wily ways

That's quality Chomp. Haven't seen that before.

There are nurses losing their lives and I'm just sitting at home living my comfortable life watching Netflix. Don't know if anyone will respond but if I was stuck at home disabled or elderly without loo roll I think I would accept a little help to get through this nightmare.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

Maybe better to do it at a local level mate, put a chit through doors offering to help. 

You're probably right mate. I'll leave this up overnight and then move it to the general forum in the morning.

I don't want to invite praise for doing bu**er all. Just thought there might be a fellow Dee out there that one of us could help out.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Just had this thought that there might be folk out there isolated and unable to order stuff because all the slots are taken. If there are any Dees, Arabs or whatever who need essentials then drop me a PM. I'm sure I or someone else can help out.

Would be beer and snacks be out of the question?.🤔

• Funny 1

At the moment it doesn't really matter what team folk support. I live in a pretty social wee cul de sac and its quite well coordinated. There's a 'corona house' and the dug is getting walked and messages being sorted by their next door neighbour. Most of the rest of us are in touch with whatsapp etc to help each other out if required.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

Plenty in my house. You can all come over if you.... maybe not. 😷

4 minutes ago, Prince Buster said:

I get two calls a day from my mother in law. I'm doing more running about now than I ever have before.

You and me both mate. Feels like I should be driving one of those Asda vans!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
5 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

Why not? I've plenty of both.

I just saw a video of an Italian guy freaking because he couldn't feed his family. We have a similar number of deaths in the UK but that kind of desperation doesn't seem to be so evident here. Whether the UK is just a better run country I don't know. 

Like Chomp said I should maybe try and help out on a local level but I started the thread because I know what it's like to be rock bottom and a little human decency can sometimes make a wee difference. 

Generally we're quite fortunate in this country. I remember this Chinese immigrant. Really nice person. He'd come into my local in London and sell dodgy DVDs. I think he shared a room with half a dozen other people. One time he came in black and blue even though he was totally harmless. Obviously his life was horrific. Thinking back to that makes me realise how lucky most of us are. If we can do a little something to help we probably should. Not that I do much myself.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Cobra said:

I just saw a video of an Italian guy freaking because he couldn't feed his family. We have a similar number of deaths in the UK but that kind of desperation doesn't seem to be so evident here. Whether the UK is just a better run country I don't know. 

Like Chomp said I should maybe try and help out on a local level but I started the thread because I know what it's like to be rock bottom and a little human decency can sometimes make a wee difference. 

Generally we're quite fortunate in this country. I remember this Chinese immigrant. Really nice person. He'd come into my local in London and sell dodgy DVDs. I think he shared a room with half a dozen other people. One time he came in black and blue even though he was totally harmless. Obviously his life was horrific. Thinking back to that makes me realise how lucky most of us are. If we can do a little something to help we probably should. Not that I do much myself.

Casual working is much more common in Italy, so suddenly quite a proportion of people have got zero income and no way of claiming any sort of help from the government. 

Zero hours contracts is a step towards these models so we are better but we're 'getting there'.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, barkblue said:

Casual working is much more common in Italy, so suddenly quite a proportion of people have got zero income and no way of claiming any sort of help from the government. 

Zero hours contracts is a step towards these models so we are better but we're 'getting there'.

Interesting that you highlight casual working. I hadn't thought of that.

One big difference between the UK and Italy is corruption, which of course affected the city of Dundee in 1963 and 1984. I wondered if corruption might have been a factor in so many Italians being left on the brink during the covid crisis but I really don't know.

25 minutes ago, Prince Buster said:

I get two calls a day from my mother in law. I'm doing more running about now than I ever have before.

We moved my mum in last year which has made things a lot easier as I was getting her messages etc in on a weekly trip. We're getting the outlaws now though which is a bit of a pain as they can't get their act together and tell us what they want until thursdays.... We've at least pushed it to thursday morning to try and combine it with our weekly shop. 

22 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Its easy to forget how well most of us have it in the UK, if you think Italy are getting it tight, wait until it gets a grip in Africa.

10 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Interesting that you highlight casual working. I hadn't thought of that.

One big difference between the UK and Italy is corruption, which of course affected the city of Dundee in 1963 and 1984. I wondered if corruption might have been a factor in so many Italians being left on the brink during the covid crisis but I really don't know.

The casual work is a big, cultural traditional thing in Italy. Often very seasonal and, as you suggest, often linked to less than reputable sources. 

Corruption and, unfortunately, 'gang' mentality still plays a huge part in every day Italian life.

• Like 2