Jump to content
The Dark Blues

Promised So Much, Delivered So Little

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Was I the only one excited when this guy signed? He was tremendous at Hearts. It's so disappointing when you sign a once-great player who is finished.

I think it was a lower league podcast with Sean Higgins where he was asked about Curier and fair to say that he didn't have a good thing to say about the boy.  The few things I've read about that

El Bakhtaoui - thought he was going to be a great replacement for Greg Stewart. Very wrong! Craig Wighton - apart from THAT goal never really proved he was the wonder player people said he was go

Posted Images

Was I the only one excited when this guy signed? He was tremendous at Hearts. It's so disappointing when you sign a once-great player who is finished.

image.jpeg.551bbba6356fad9ab72c3e5d63d46ffd.jpeg

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

El Bakhtaoui - thought he was going to be a great replacement for Greg Stewart. Very wrong!

Craig Wighton - apart from THAT goal never really proved he was the wonder player people said he was going to be.

Neil McCann (as a manager) - he certainly promised a lot. Whether the fans believed him I'm not so sure.

For a team as whole, I would go for Hartley's second full season in charge team. Hammered Killie away first game of the season. Tore Hearts apart for the first half in the second game. At half time in that game I thought we were going to have a brilliant season. 8th place finish was pretty poor for the players we had.

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Tommy Coyne second time round. He went from top scorer in Scotland (maybe outside the old firm) to absolutely finished in one close season.

Colin West too probably fits that bill. Arrived with a fanfare, scored on his debut and then sank without a trace.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw this guy when I worked at Parkhead. Incredible player. Nearly took my head off one day pre-match when he was practicing long shots. I was properly excited when he became a Dee but what a joke signing that turned out to be.

Craig Burley 1 vass | Willie Vass Archive

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cobra said:

I saw this guy when I worked at Parkhead. Incredible player. Nearly took my head off one day pre-match when he was practicing long shots. I was properly excited when he became a Dee but what a joke signing that turned out to be.

Craig Burley 1 vass | Willie Vass Archive

Cost more in hotel rooms than he did wages. 

9 minutes ago, ThelegendthatisBeto said:

Caulker

Cost us more in repairs for hotel rooms than he did wages. 

:lol:

  • Funny 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ThelegendthatisBeto said:

Caulker

Interesting choice. He was known as a mentally troubled character but helped the team a fair bit after he arrived.

I wasn't at Rugby Park for his debut but that was a crazy game against a Killie team that were flying. Only Dundee could come from behind to lead before getting beat with an extra man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nGlqqzaDxA

Link to post
Share on other sites

Jim Leighton was an unbelievable signing for Dundee. He was the peak age for a keeper. He lost the number one jersey at Old Trafford in the FA Cup final but he single-handedly destroyed the myth that Scotland goalkeepers were rubbish.

For him to be playing second fiddle to Paul Mathers in the second tier was bonkers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Cobra said:

I saw this guy when I worked at Parkhead. Incredible player. Nearly took my head off one day pre-match when he was practicing long shots. I was properly excited when he became a Dee but what a joke signing that turned out to be.

Craig Burley 1 vass | Willie Vass Archive

Maybe not popular but he never got a real crack of the whip with us, only had a few games. He signed for a silly wage (apparently) to play in a team with silly players and understandably grudged getting fecked over. I don't blame Burley for resenting signing for us, at his stage he made a choice to sign for us and it was a house of cards. He could have gone elsewhere for his 'final payday'. He sort of fizzled out after leaving us.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, chomp my root said:

Maybe not popular but he never got a real crack of the whip with us, only had a few games. He signed for a silly wage (apparently) to play in a team with silly players and understandably grudged getting fecked over. I don't blame Burley for resenting signing for us, at his stage he made a choice to sign for us and it was a house of cards. He could have gone elsewhere for his 'final payday'. He sort of fizzled out after leaving us.

Fair point. Maybe it's one of those where you get an opinion and it sticks. I thought he was a mercenary who didn't try a leg but like you say he didn't get much a chance and was understandably pissed off with how things ended.

I always find it odd the way a player can be devastatingly effective like Burley or Ljungberg or Jimmy Johnstone at Dens and then suddenly they reach a certain age and they're a passenger with little to offer. Conversely some guys like Dalglish, Strachan and Gary McAllister ooze class into their late 30s. I guess it must be a lot to do with how you look after yourself.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cobra said:

Fair point. Maybe it's one of those where you get an opinion and it sticks. I thought he was a mercenary who didn't try a leg but like you say he didn't get much a chance and was understandably pissed off with how things ended.

I always find it odd the way a player can be devastatingly effective like Burley or Ljungberg or Jimmy Johnstone at Dens and then suddenly they reach a certain age and they're a passenger with little to offer. Conversely some guys like Dalglish, Strachan and Gary McAllister ooze class into their late 30s. I guess it must be a lot to do with how you look after yourself.

Maybe being part of a club where you feel you have something to 'give' too, dunno, just trying to think how it goes in the real world. I've worked with people who I almost looked forward to going to work with, other times it was a bind. Maybe that mythical camararderie can push people. I'm not saying Burley would have worked out, who knows but I think that him 'selling his soul' to us and then shortly after finding out he was going to get buttons (and the club probably having a good idea) might have rankled a tad. That he was bitter about it and bad mouthed the club is understandable.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.