The Dark Blues

League Reconstruction

Rate this topic

League reconstruction poll  

100 members have voted

1. 1. How many teams?

Although it might seem like the Netherlands FA have set an example by making a sensible & pragmatic decision, their circumstances (in the top league) lend themselves to that decision....both Ajax & Alkmaar are level on points, close on goal diff, and they will both get into the Champions League.

Not exactly in the same 'league' as Auchinlek Talbot being awarded the SJFA West title on average points/game, despite being 12 points (9 games) behind Kilwinning Rangers....another Rangers very upset!

However, the Netherlands 2nd tier leaders, in a situation similar to the Arabs, 11 points clear, have called it "the biggest disgrace in the history of Dutch sport", but they're a wee club, so who cares?

Leadership from the top of UEFA, and clear instruction for consistency across the FAs, is surely what ought to have been expected. Anything other than that leaves FAs and clubs to be driven by local parochial self-interest.

Liverpool & Celtic were not going to be caught, but who's going to take the decision to say 'we're going dutch, sorry guys'......??? 

• Like 4
  • Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Four leagues in Scotland is ludicrous, we only need 2 or 3. Try and en d the monotony of playing each other four times then getting the same teams in the league cup and Scottish cup etc. You could end

How about 3 leagues. Premier consisting of two teams Celtic/Rangers (let the [email protected] play each other 40 times for all I care). That leaves two proper leagues for proper fans to enjoy.

Folks, reconstruction won't happen. Not for the good of the fans, not for the good of the clubs, not for the good of the national squad, not for the good of entertainment and certainly not for the goo

23 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

Would like to see both to be honest, I've wanted to see an expanded Sportscene for a long time, even if it does just cover the SPL, at least they could do the games justice. An extra half hour shouldn't be a massive stretch. I'd be chuffed if there was similar coverage of the Championship and lower, even if we were back in the top league. I accept that it would be more of a highlights thing but it would be a start, I used to enjoy the English lower leagues with Manish, thought he was a really good host.

I should probably give the 'A view from the terrace' another go, I watched the first one and for me it was trying too hard and a bit 'young' for me. Yup, I'll give it another go I reckon, as and when. While I watch Si Ferry & co, it sometimes grates, but that's probably me, I think they're looking at a younger audience. 

Agree with all of that Chomp.

I'm also with you with the Si Ferry thing. I'm a bit too much of a grump to listen to stories of grown men being big children and think it's funny. I want to know more about the inner working of that game but that stuff's only ever really hinted at. It's more of a 'lad-in'.

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, WoodStein said:

PS...."A View From The Terrace" is utter mince  :rolleyes:  

I'm not actually a massive fan of it, but it's intention is good, if that makes sense? (I usually don't make sense to be fair...) 

20 minutes ago, barkblue said:

Agree with all of that Chomp.

I'm also with you with the Si Ferry thing. I'm a bit too much of a grump to listen to stories of grown men being big children and think it's funny. I want to know more about the inner working of that game but that stuff's only ever really hinted at. It's more of a 'lad-in'.

I find the idea that only footballers act like it a bit grating, can't speak for any other work environment but I've had my share of times being a big man child at work over the years. I get that they're having a good old reminiscence and I don't blame them but I dunno, its just a bit 'w4nky' for me. I enjoy a good get together with old mates reliving the 'good old, bad old days' and our exploits but apart from very much NOT wanting to air them publicly, they're only really relevant to 'us'. 

Probably just getting old and grumpy.... like you, I prefer the insight into the clubs, changed days, I was always one of the worst for the daft shenanigans. 🤣

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

I find the idea that only footballers act like it a bit grating, can't speak for any other work environment but I've had my share of times being a big man child at work over the years. I get that they're having a good old reminiscence and I don't blame them but I dunno, its just a bit 'w4nky' for me. I enjoy a good get together with old mates reliving the 'good old, bad old days' and our exploits but apart from very much NOT wanting to air them publicly, they're only really relevant to 'us'. 

Probably just getting old and grumpy.... like you, I prefer the insight into the clubs, changed days, I was always one of the worst for the daft shenanigans. 🤣

I also appreciate that some guys thrive off this stuff but it just makes me switch off.

I'm as daft as the next guy but it's more fun to be part of than watch. It's like being the only sober guy when everyone else is plastered.

• Like 3
Just now, barkblue said:

I also appreciate that some guys thrive off this stuff but it just makes me switch off.

I'm as daft as the next guy but it's more fun to be part of than watch. It's like being the only sober guy when everyone else is plastered.

Good analogy, I was a noted hypocrite for thinking I was like Oscar Wilde when pished but just couldn't see it in others. 🙄

• Funny 1
20 hours ago, barkblue said:

I'm not actually a massive fan of it, but it's intention is good, if that makes sense? (I usually don't make sense to be fair...) 

Yes, re 'good intention'....but it's Scottish football, bound to promise much & deliver little. 

I haven't watched since the first few weeks of it, so I can accept that my opinion is slightly prejudiced!

• Like 2
On 23/04/2020 at 15:43, Ricky Spanish said:

Exactly this. If the OF games were to go down to 2 per season, it makes them that little bit more exclusive, that bit rarer, which would have fans and tv audiences craving them that bit more. What's the old saying? Familiarity breeds contempt.

Also less drunken violence on the street, domestic violence at home , unnecessary and pointless attendance at A &E in Scotland. Never a bad thing.

On 24/04/2020 at 10:03, BCram said:

I think the results in European competitions by Scottish teams, and the state of our national team has absolutely proved that these assertions by Murray and McCann have not delivered anything for the OF or for Scottish football. Is this a fact? I may be letting my enthusiasm for change ignore some positive outcome for the status quo but if the facts are that the current system has not worked why not use this unprecedented situation to try a 16 league top division?

I would agree with you there, and that is what clubs ought to be pushing for, but it takes courage to stand up against the big guns, and I am afraid that resolve is lacking in Scottish football. You would be also standing up against the media as barkblue points out. We all know what is needed, but the fans keep getting ignored while most clubs, as the present crisis reveals, are very much dependent on gate receipts. However, the very people who keep the clubs afloat are being ignored in the present reconstruction debate. SPFL are only interested in growing the TV revenue.

1 hour ago, TheDensRoadStairs said:

League 2 clubs wanting 14 - 14 - 14 

Aye, just as with the SPFL vote, some just can't wait to get their choice out in the media first....but in this case, they appear (if reported accurately) to be saying this is the only option they intend to vote for, when the study group makes their recommendations.

I think the Div1+2 clubs have 2 representatives in the group of 15, so they may have a tough job convincing the other 13 to recommend the 14-14-14 option, if most of them are (allegedly, in some reports) keen on the 14-10-10-10 option.

Once whatever the group recommends is put to the full 42-club vote, the Div1+2 clubs will be able to kill it, if they wish to.  

Another bunfight ahead. It's not even entertaining, though.

1 hour ago, TheDensRoadStairs said:

League 2 clubs wanting 14 - 14 - 14 

Not really a surprise I suppose, Kelty and Brora coming up would be a couple of strong teams with decent finance who would likely do well for themselves like Cove have done.

Scottish football could look very different 10 years from now. Cove and Brora in the top flight... Rangers and Celtic playing in an Atlantic super league... Dundee United liquidated.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, WoodStein said:

Aye, just as with the SPFL vote, some just can't wait to get their choice out in the media first....but in this case, they appear (if reported accurately) to be saying this is the only option they intend to vote for, when the study group makes their recommendations.

I think the Div1+2 clubs have 2 representatives in the group of 15, so they may have a tough job convincing the other 13 to recommend the 14-14-14 option, if most of them are (allegedly, in some reports) keen on the 14-10-10-10 option.

Once whatever the group recommends is put to the full 42-club vote, the Div1+2 clubs will be able to kill it, if they wish to.  

Another bunfight ahead. It's not even entertaining, though.

Last time round, I think it was on course to be 12-12-18 but then the bottom clubs were happier with two of 10 and the top flight clubs didn't really give a sh*t to force it through after the 8-8-8 plan failed.

I think this is just them trying to get in that they don't want any enlargement of the 42 right now, by any means, and setting their position early. If the second tier stays at 10, it gives an awkward size to work to so they really need expansion there as well. Anything that gives them 18 left is dropped income of a home game so they would also like to be avoided and it messes up their decent play-off structure.

Hard to tell the circumstances a vote will actually be held in though, making a lot of assumptions.