Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Realistically When Will We Get Live Football At Dens?

Wattie Rojas

Interesting comments today from a prominent Oxford epidemiologist who has called for a more rapid exit from Britain’s lockdown, saying the coronavirus pandemic is “on its way out” of Britain after infecting as much as half the population.

Professor Sunetra Gupta says there would be a “strong possibility” that pubs, nightclubs and restaurants in Britain could reopen without serious risk from Covid-19.

Prof Gupta said the epidemic had “largely come and is on its way out in this country” and that the rate would be “definitely less than one in 1000 and probably closer to one in 10,000”, or between 0.1% and 0.01%.

“Remaining in a state of lockdown is extremely dangerous from the point of view of the vulnerability of the entire population to new pathogens,” she said.

“Effectively we used to live in a state approximating lockdown 100 years ago, and that was what created the conditions for the Spanish Flu to come in and kill 50m people.”

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Papers saying championship clubs to meet to discuss 18 game season only starting after the end of this year. Hopefully our much vaunted insurance covers us. Can see some clubs failing if this is the case (Hearts could be a basket case by then if you believe Budge).

14 minutes ago, troodee1893 said:

Papers saying championship clubs to meet to discuss 18 game season only starting after the end of this year. Hopefully our much vaunted insurance covers us. Can see some clubs failing if this is the case (Hearts could be a basket case by then if you believe Budge).

I can't see Hearts, Dundee, Dunfermline going for this as they all have players under contract for next season. Qots would probably go for it as they don't have many signed.

On 21/05/2020 at 08:15, Attilio said:

The period between now and the start of August are going to be interesting in terms of whether the rates of cases and deaths continue to fall and the UK governments response to the upcoming summer holiday period.  

The 'success' so far in reducing the rates of cases and deaths is no doubt due primarily to the lockdown and social distancing measures and it will be interesting to see the effect on the numbers if these measures are eased bit by bit.  If the numbers continue to fall I would expect to see a relaxation in social distancing especially.

The summer holiday period is very important, as without it airlines are going to go to the wall and cancellation of holidays is going to hit insurances companies very hard.  Two economic whammies the government can afford to do without.  On the other hand how do you travel and how do the airlines stay in business when flights can only be 20% full if you maintain the current guidance.  If the numbers continue to fall then I would expect to see a reduction in the 2.0m guidance down to 1.0m but after that I have no idea.  Other countries are already opening their borders in preparation for the holiday season.  It is that important.

The bottom line to all of this is what level, or how many deaths each day, are the general public willing to accept in order to get back to some sort of normality.  Very callous-sounding I know but we generally live in a very callous world. I have no doubt that this number has been discussed and agreed in most governments.

If the metrics that these people measure by continue to look favourable I wouldn't be surprised to see the new season start by September.  

Summer holidays started weeks ago!

1 hour ago, Wattie Rojas said:

I can't see Hearts, Dundee, Dunfermline going for this as they all have players under contract for next season. Qots would probably go for it as they don't have many signed.

I agree, if the 'smaller' teams wont go for it then let the 'bigger' teams join with the Premiership to make a 16/18 team league. Its what the fans want and would solve the problem so who could possibly be against such a sensible move apart from the SPFL organisers and the closed shop of the Premier League clubs!!

23 hours ago, Cobra said:

Double Blue, I would maybe request all fans wear masks and social distance where possible. If we sort out testing and tracing, we can postpone games as soon as there is another outbreak.

Unfortunately corona is here to stay and we're going to have to return to normality at some point. If the cases and deaths continue to fall I would maybe restart in September.

I can totally understand your caution but if we don't let pubs, restaurants and stadiums go back to normal lots of businesses will go under and we're going to see a rise in poverty-related deaths as the country grapples with debt and joblessness.

Austerity was blamed for 130,000 preventable UK deaths and there is a danger that after being too slow to lock down, we're too slow to open up, and end up with tens of thousands of deaths caused by a different crisis.

Come the end of July and the start of the English school holidays, I fully expect tens or hundreds of thousands of Brits to be flying off on their summer hols.  The flights will be packed and people will be sitting shoulder to shoulder and surrounded by complete strangers.  They will have nothing but a face mask and hand gel to maintain any semblance of 'social distancing'.  If this scenario transpires and I suppose it is a big if, then there should be no reason why we can't have football back in September.  I have had two face mask made in dark blue ready for the occasion.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Attilio said:

Come the end of July and the start of the English school holidays, I fully expect tens or hundreds of thousands of Brits to be flying off on their summer hols.  The flights will be packed and people will be sitting shoulder to shoulder and surrounded by complete strangers.  They will have nothing but a face mask and hand gel to maintain any semblance of 'social distancing'.  If this scenario transpires and I suppose it is a big if, then there should be no reason why we can't have football back in September.  I have had two face mask made in dark blue ready for the occasion.

We've seen the peoples views and behaviour influencing policy so its possible that package holidays could happen (one of our basic human rights after all.... 🙄 ) and if it does, it would be hard to justify no football. England especially where we see no government intervention, they seem happy for the EPL to find a solution themselves and it would be another possible vote loser. Where England leads, we've tended to follow.

Realistically, only when we have a vaccine for covid 19, this invisible killer isn't going anywhere and until we (the world) finds a cure it will continue to kill, why anyone would be prepared to risk otherwise is only in denial of the full circumstances, however, nothing is forever and a cure will be found, eventually, hopefully we'll still have our loved ones and our football club, realistically some  clubs will not survive in their present form, but life will go on.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Campbell said:

Realistically, only when we have a vaccine for covid 19, this invisible killer isn't going anywhere and until we (the world) finds a cure it will continue to kill, why anyone would be prepared to risk otherwise is only in denial of the full circumstances, however, nothing is forever and a cure will be found, eventually, hopefully we'll still have our loved ones and our football club, realistically some  clubs will not survive in their present form, but life will go on.  

But, if we look at the data the numbers are not continuing to rise on a consistent basis so it's slowing down or herd immunity really is a thing. We may find that natural immunity kicks in before a vaccine appears. 

Or not.

4 hours ago, HK Blues said:

But, if we look at the data the numbers are not continuing to rise on a consistent basis so it's slowing down or herd immunity really is a thing. We may find that natural immunity kicks in before a vaccine appears. 

Or not.

It may be they find a better treatment for the disease. I read an article yesterday about T-cells which seemed quite hopeful that it could help the more seriously affected people. 

16 minutes ago, Wattie Rojas said:

It may be they find a better treatment for the disease. I read an article yesterday about T-cells which seemed quite hopeful that it could help the more seriously affected people. 

Resident Evil T cells 

• Funny 1

4 hours ago, HK Blues said:

Or not.

Thanks for your comments HK. My understanding is that the reason the r number is not continuing to rise is because were in lockdown and following all the rules that encompass.  Herd/natural immunity hmm, wee bit keeping fingers and everything else crossed.  Clearly these are very difficult times we all have to endure, and one day the fitba will return but I doubt it will quite be the same again, which may not be such a bad thing!

Adblock Detected