The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
Wattie Rojas

Realistically When Will We Get Live Football At Dens?

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, Gedee said:

For reasons I've given before on here, I've not managed to attend Live DFC games in recent years ...

But that said, as any DFC game drew nearer (especially weekend games) I could physically/mentally/ emotionally, feel the tension building. And by the time match day came along I was a mix between excitement/anticipation/nervousness. And my whole focus (& activities) on match day, centred around the game ahead. When the game finally kicked off, I did every conceivable thing to follow the live game ... If the game never took place (postponed or whatever) I felt my day/weekend was ruined !!

Initially with this present situation I felt the same ... But as one week of no DFC football was followed by another one, which led us onto the present predicament, I have got to honestly say, not only am I not missing the football so much, I believe I am a happier & more all-round contented person.

I am certainly no youngster. And my age has put restrictions on what I can and cannot do. But it is in my nature to be as active in body & mind as health/age limitations will allow. And with that in mind, this period without football has driven me harder to do much more in the way of activity and push thoughts of football (dfc) right out of my mind.

I have always been into gardening, but at this present time I am working & enjoying my gardening, like a man possessed ... Into more veg/fruit/flower growing (And I am loving every minute of it) I am also taking an hour out, to play along & sing along on my my guitar every day. I had shelved it years ago, but I took the notion to get some new strings, dust down some of these old songs & let it all go ... In the conservatory at the ither end of the hoose ... I am basically sh*t at both ... But I am loud, so who cares :jawdrop:

Not so long ago, I was a regular angler & a man who loved long country walks. This was curtailed, not only because DFC was taking priority in my life, but health issues (& sometimes basic laziness) meant both were sidelined ... Easier to just sit on meh a**e in front of computer or tv, or get stuck into a book. I am still not at the fishing yet, but I have, on a regular basis, integrated at least one short walk a day into my schedules.

The point I am making is (like barkblue & maybe a few others) I am again realising there maybe is a lot more to life than fitba (dfc)..

Life's Fine. Hope you are all well. Wih or withoot the Fitba:chaplin:

That's interesting Gedee because I used to find it much harder not being at games than when I was there. Many moons ago when I used to work on a Saturday I found myself verging on panic attack if I couldn't find out the scores. I ended up timing breaks to sit in the car and listen to the scores but on days where that wasn't feasible (we're obviously going back to pre-mobile phones here) waiting for The Sporting Post was just nerve shredding.

I'm nothing like so bad now admittedly but will admit that unless something vital comes up I'm basically immovable during away games where I'm in the house. The afternoon basically consists of constantly updating this site and twitter to keep up to date with what's going on. I haven't missed that aspect of things either, to be honest, although I still spend as much time on here! 

I must admit that I've had an internal debate this last three seasons about getting a ST but decided that I get too much 'enjoyment' from it not to do it. I'm guessing the same thing will happen once things kick back in but it's not quite as automatic as it once was.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, barkblue said:

That's interesting Gedee because I used to find it much harder not being at games than when I was there. Many moons ago when I used to work on a Saturday I found myself verging on panic attack if I couldn't find out the scores. I ended up timing breaks to sit in the car and listen to the scores but on days where that wasn't feasible (we're obviously going back to pre-mobile phones here) waiting for The Sporting Post was just nerve shredding.

I'm nothing like so bad now admittedly but will admit that unless something vital comes up I'm basically immovable during away games where I'm in the house. The afternoon basically consists of constantly updating this site and twitter to keep up to date with what's going on. I haven't missed that aspect of things either, to be honest, although I still spend as much time on here! 

I must admit that I've had an internal debate this last three seasons about getting a ST but decided that I get too much 'enjoyment' from it not to do it. I'm guessing the same thing will happen once things kick back in but it's not quite as automatic as it once was.

Hi barkblue ... This may be going off-key a little (Jings, jist like meh singing & guitar playing)

In bygone days I was a heavy smoker...and I'm not sure I was even yet in my teens when I started. Alcohol came into my life later. Possibly around the age of 20 yrs. The alcohol addiction (just like the smoking) kinda sneaked up on me. But I suppose, just like the tobacco, it was part of my "daily fix" I knew it was controlling & killing me (& certainly affecting other around me) But I could never see my life in any shape or form without either tobacco or drink. Neither was easy to give up ... but I eventually did.

I see this obsession with DFC similar...That is to the extent, that without football interest (specifically dfc) my life would be pretty empty. And that is how I saw my life without either the two mentioned above. Well that proved NOT to be the case in the past few weeks. The only connection I am trying to make here, is sometimes, somethings, can be allowed to take over your life. In the case of Dundee FC (& all that means) it is not necessarily a bad thing ... And for many it is a positive part of their life that enhances their day/week in a very positive way.

But I realise again, as fine as it is to be involved wi' this Club/Team of Oors :wub:

There are maybe other things oot there, that worth looking at...And trying :chin:

• Like 3
  • Star Post 2

23 minutes ago, Gedee said:

Hi barkblue ... This may be going off-key a little (Jings, jist like meh singing & guitar playing)

In bygone days I was a heavy smoker...and I'm not sure I was even yet in my teens when I started. Alcohol came into my life later. Possibly around the age of 20 yrs. The alcohol addiction (just like the smoking) kinda sneaked up on me. But I suppose, just like the tobacco, it was part of my "daily fix" I knew it was controlling & killing me (& certainly affecting other around me) But I could never see my life in any shape or form without either tobacco or drink. Neither was easy to give up ... but I eventually did.

I see this obsession with DFC similar...That is to the extent, that without football interest (specifically dfc) my life would be pretty empty. And that is how I saw my life without either the two mentioned above. Well that proved NOT to be the case in the past few weeks. The only connection I am trying to make here, is sometimes, somethings, can be allowed to take over your life. In the case of Dundee FC (& all that means) it is not necessarily a bad thing ... And for many it is a positive part of their life that enhances their day/week in a very positive way.

But I realise again, as fine as it is to be involved wi' this Club/Team of Oors :wub:

There are maybe other things oot there, that worth looking at...And trying :chin:

There's no doubt that fitba' is a 'drug' of some sort Gedee. The emotional connection may skew things a bit (or a lot) but I think most of us on here (certainly me anyway) have lost perspective when it came to our club at some point. When I think of the miles I used to travel, the money I've spent, the things I didn't attend or help with that I should have and, being totally candid, the lies that I told, to make sure nothing came between me and DFC, I do think that I've now found perspective somewhat and maybe it's been the journey down that path that's led me to a point where I kinda feel like I could take it or leave it (he says spending hours every week on a Dundee FC forum!) 🤕

• Like 3
  • Star Post 1

19 hours ago, barkblue said:

There's no doubt that fitba' is a 'drug' of some sort Gedee. The emotional connection may skew things a bit (or a lot) but I think most of us on here (certainly me anyway) have lost perspective when it came to our club at some point. When I think of the miles I used to travel, the money I've spent, the things I didn't attend or help with that I should have and, being totally candid, the lies that I told, to make sure nothing came between me and DFC, I do think that I've now found perspective somewhat and maybe it's been the journey down that path that's led me to a point where I kinda feel like I could take it or leave it (he says spending hours every week on a Dundee FC forum!) 🤕

Was just about to post something similar. I miss the butterflies on a Saturday mornings (shouldn't really, the stronger they were the more likely we were to get beat), but between DTV and TDB life is much about the same for me.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, barkblue said:

When I think of the miles I used to travel, the money I've spent, the things I didn't attend or help with that I should have and, being totally candid, the lies that I told, to make sure nothing came between me and DFC

That is my tale as well BB,  Dundee  FC   were top of the list of priorities for me for many many years, i know exactly what you mean.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, barkblue said:

Think I've mentioned it before on here but I was talking to a mate who was big into his fishing and he was telling me that this rod cost X and he was going on holiday to go fly fishing etc etc. I asked him how much he spent on fishing in a year and after thinking about it he said it was about 3.5k that year, while I was telling him he was nuts he asked me how much I spent on football and after taking my shoes and socks off, I figured I was spending at least as much as he was on one thing and another, ST's, top, half time draw, a couple Dee lottery entries, hospo.... then you throw in the money spent on away games etc and it fair adds up. Then there's the time involved, when I was in the north of England for a few years, if I was there over the weekend I would try and arrange it to have the saturday off so I could get a train up if it was feasible (Dumfries, Glasgow etc). It take commitment as well as cash if you're going to all or most the games. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, barkblue said:

Like this post Barkblue. It is a great metaphor for the covid -19 virus. We are obsessed by it, the media spends most of its time talking about it and the reality is that nobody knows what will happen. We speculate and give our ideas, repeat stuff we have read or heard and it is exactly like being a football fan wanting his or her team to start winning games. 

The current chat about the state of Scottish football is very dispiriting. If the social distancing rules are not going to be changed then we really do need to consider some way of helping our club, and we need to do it now. The SPL being able to play behind closed doors is not an acceptable solution if all the other clubs are driven into oblivion, IMO.

• Like 2

The English Premier League restarts on June 17th.

It's curious that the EPL can get back underway in less than 3 weeks to complete 100 games of football but it's out of the question for us to play a handful of play-off games north of the border to decide promotion/relegation at some point in the summer.

• Like 2
  • Star Post 1

Sport returns on 1st June behind closed doors, with groups of 6 or 8 already allowed in general. Surely we can't be that far away from football fans at grounds.

Look at the folk packing beaches on the south coast today. Is this really all that different to fans sitting in a stadium (in terms of transmitting an infectious disease)?

People enjoying the good weather on the beach at Durdle Door, near Lulworth in Dorset, as the public are being reminded to practice social distancing following the relaxation of…

• Wowzer 1

So on the positive Poland are allowing fans to return at 25% capacity, Finland also at limit of 400 fans and I think Greece also.  These countries have much lower levels of transmission but we may just have  reason for a flicker of optimism that some of us could be in Dens in the autumn. The one problem is the studies of transmission suggest environments where there is singing and shouting transmission risk is higher, albeit these studies are only iro closed indoors environments so we may be ok.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Sport returns on 1st June behind closed doors, with groups of 6 or 8 already allowed in general. Surely we can't be that far away from football fans at grounds.

Look at the folk packing beaches on the south coast today. Is this really all that different to fans sitting in a stadium (in terms of transmitting an infectious disease)?

People enjoying the good weather on the beach at Durdle Door, near Lulworth in Dorset, as the public are being reminded to practice social distancing following the relaxation of…

Much as I'd like to see the grounds open, its a lot easier to keep a football ground closed than to keep a beach or park empty. As we're 'policed by consent' we don't (thankfully) have the men with big sticks and guns than would be required to serve the fines and enforce them. 

8 minutes ago, surreydee said:

So on the positive Poland are allowing fans to return at 25% capacity, Finland also at limit of 400 fans and I think Greece also.  These countries have much lower levels of transmission but we may just have  reason for a flicker of optimism that some of us could be in Dens in the autumn. The one problem is the studies of transmission suggest environments where there is singing and shouting transmission risk is higher, albeit these studies are only iro closed indoors environments so we may be ok.

I’ve got my season ticket so ready to go. Unless entry is restricted to members of a supporters club? 
Only kidding!

• Funny 1

46 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

Much as I'd like to see the grounds open, its a lot easier to keep a football ground closed than to keep a beach or park empty. As we're 'policed by consent' we don't (thankfully) have the men with big sticks and guns than would be required to serve the fines and enforce them. 

It is a lot easier to keep stadiums shut than to police beaches but if the government and police are not making a fuss about packed beaches then it doesn't really make sense to keep stadiums closed for the next six months.

Either social distancing is really important or it's not. If it is then why is there no outrage over packed beaches? If it's not then football stadiums should be opened in the coming months to let clubs survive.

As of today. For the lower leagues in Scotland, looking more and more likely it's 2021.

Question is. How many will still be in business?.

3 hours ago, Cobra said:

It is a lot easier to keep stadiums shut than to police beaches but if the government and police are not making a fuss about packed beaches then it doesn't really make sense to keep stadiums closed for the next six months.

Either social distancing is really important or it's not. If it is then why is there no outrage over packed beaches? If it's not then football stadiums should be opened in the coming months to let clubs survive.

Yeah I suppose if you deal in absolutes or moral high grounds but they might be fighting the fights the can win rather than just saying "Aye, there's load of feckers on the beaches so we might as well rap our hand in...".