The Dark Blues

Heartbreakers

Rate this topic

Can you remember Dundee breaking your heart by selling a player? 

This was my darkest day...

image.jpeg.bb14c272d174703a823f2fa22141ca70.jpeg

• Love 1
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Three stick out for me. When Harkins left for Killie. When Harkins left for St Mirren When Harkins left for Ayr. It never got easier 😢.

The double whammy of Fraser and Ferguson was the worst for me but Billy Dodds was also a real sickener. I could understand bigger clubs signing our best players but St Johnstone??? The only one I

The Zurab transfer was the one that got me the most in the past 20 years. It just seemed so unfair 😩

Posted Images

Weighorst. 

Adamczuk. 

Hemmings. 

The rest who have left were mainly to keep the doors open to be fair. Weighorst scunnered me, even at such a young age. Adamczuk was a crazy deal for us, too good not to take and Hemmings, in retrospect, was an absolutely stupid clause (but I understand he might have never been without it). 

Got two of my loves back. Reckon Morten could still do a job? 

• Love 1
  • Star Post 1
11 minutes ago, Dandy McLean said:

Selling George McLean to Dunfermline and a close second selling Jocky to Aberdeen.

Why did we sell George McLean to the Pars if he was delivering for the Dee? Were they in better shape than us at the time financially?

Redford 

McKimmie

Fraser 

Ferguson

Connor

Fergie was the one that hurt me the most....by the mid 80s I’d started to become immune to losing our best players for less than teams were paying for those half as good. 

The double whammy of Fraser and Ferguson was the worst for me but Billy Dodds was also a real sickener. I could understand bigger clubs signing our best players but St Johnstone???

The only one I've ever lost any sleep over was Scott Robertson; I wasn't a very happy bunny when he left.

• Like 5

Cammy Fraser and Iain Ferguson leaving for Rangers, and more recently Greg Stewart leaving for Birmingham 

8 hours ago, Cobra said:

Why did we sell George McLean to the Pars if he was delivering for the Dee? Were they in better shape than us at the time financially?

7 hours ago, jojo gunn said:

Took the cash and replaced him with Joe Gilroy  from memory also Jocky then a starting place

I’ve no idea Cobra, I wouldn’t have thought so. As jojo Gunn says we bought Joe Gilfoy from Fulham so  it was maybe to fund that. 

• Like 1

Ian Ure to Arsenal....although you'd think in the early 60's it would be every player's dream to sign for a big English club, but Yogi was very disappointed that the Dundee Board didn't try to strengthen the team after the European Cup season.

Gillie to Spurs, but this was the opposite of Yogi's departure, Dundee wanted Gillie to stay, Gillie ended up 'on strike' to force them to sell him.

It was the beginning of the end of that great side, even though we immediately spent the Gillie cash buying Aberdeen's rising star, Charlie Cooke (enraged the Sheep, still does today for the older ones!).

The Board did re-invest some of those funds in Dens, as they had done from the Bill Brown & Jimmy Gabriel fees in the late 50's.

We then moved into a 'conveyor belt' phase, it seemed......

Cooke to Chelsea, seemed way too soon to me, and not much of a profit. 

But the one that disappointed me more was my old school team-mate Iain Phillip signing for Crystal Palace....they set his career back a fair bit, especially when Malcolm Allison became manager.....we bought him back, though for about the same fee we'd sold him for.

John Duncan, Jim Steele, Stevie Murray....the conveyor belt trundled on, as we became more of a selling club. Wee Gordon Strachan, though, was maybe the saddest transfer deal of all.....peanuts for a future star we had done a great job of developing, forced on us by the bank. 

• Like 3

Losing Fraser and Ferguson was a sickener that felt like a smash n grab robbery. However, the signings of Connor, Bomber and Graham Harvey plugged the gaps that were left. 
Losing Stewart, Hemmings and Harkins was a disaster that were are still paying the price for now. I think losing one of the three would have been manageable but if rumours I heard were true, losing the other two due to personal clashes with management is a bitter pill that should’ve easily been avoided. 

• Like 1