The Dark Blues

April 28th, 1962 - Dundee Are Champions

Rate this topic

Dundee became champions of Scotland 58 years ago on Tuesday.

Dees who were alive when Dundee won the league at Muirton, what do you remember about the day if anything? What was the weather like? What happened before and after the match?

Famous for ever in Dundee | SPFL

Be nice to hear some memories of the day.

• Like 2
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I could go on about this forever but I'll keep it brief. I was a young teenager had been to a few away matches during hat season,Hearts,Dunfermline,StirlingAlbion,Partick (disaster),Tannadice on

I remember the whole day well. It was the week before my tenth birthday and I had persuaded my father to swop with someone at his work so we could go to the game. We had been to a few games during the

Up Wi' The Bonnets - Dundee FC You can sing of the glories of teams you have seen, Of the Saints or the Dons up in old Aberdeen, But in all this

Pat Liney: “I remember it like it was yesterday especially as our triumph was so unexpected.  If you had said to me at the start of the season that we would be top four or five then we would have settled for that.

“We started the season not expected to win the League and we also did not do too well in the League Cup sections that opened the season.  There was no big thing that just happened, we clicked together and with Rangers two points behind, we ended up at St. Johnstone needing a point to win the League.”

“We needed a draw but we could not play for a draw.  Can you imagine if I had fumbled a shot in by accident?  We were on a crest of a wave and we went for it.  St. Johnstone were a bit heavy handed to begin with as they tried to take our playmaker Gordon Smith out of the game.

“Things settled down and Gordon crossed for Alan Gilzean to score and then Alan scored again.  Andy Penman scored the third and it is no exaggeration to say that they were three great goals.

“The fact that nothing was expected of us helped in our challenge,” said Liney before adding, “We were able to treat it like any other game but looking back, we were really in the groove by then.  We recovered after the League Cup sections and had a wee dip and then came roaring back.”

• Like 1

History in a picture.

Scottish League Champions 1961/62: St Johnstone 0-3 Dundee ...

Must have been such a great day.

Little did people know at the time.. this was the best football team the city would ever see.

• Like 1

My mum is clueless when it comes to football but she remembers the earthquake when Dundee won the league. It wasn't as significant to her as watching the Beatles at the Caird Hall but she knew what Dundee were doing was a big deal. The house was buzzing. The street was buzzing. The city was buzzing. I just wish I was there to experience it.

I was alive when it happened, but I was not even s Dundee supporter at the time. I remember the 5-1 win over Rangers with everybody being gobsmacked that a time like Dundee could hand out such a hammering to the mighty Rangers. There was a great buzz about the football this team was playing, but nobody believed they could win the league. It was a couple of seasons after I saw them play against Hibs and I was hooked. Even although some of the league winning team had departed they still played a brand of football that was a joy to watch.

• Like 1

My old man, 79 now, is a true Dee and even followed them with my uncle into Europe to Cologne. He would have been 22 when we won the league, newly married if my math is correct, so probably didn't make it to Perth for financial reasons. Strangely, he had shared many stories of THE season but nothing abour that day. I suspect he wasn't there and it's not something I'd bring up. Probably something he'll regret to the grave but hey ho.

I'll treasure the memories of 3 cup finals and countless Derby wins we enjoyed together - nothing like following the same football team to get over troubles. I remember when I was 17 I did something bad, not very, very bad but...He kicked f**k out of me (I know not acceptable now but this was 1982) yet we headed up to Dens the very next day to watch the Dees, all forgiven if not forgotten.

Wouldn't have it any other way.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, HK Blues said:

I remember when I was 17 I did something bad, not very, very bad but...He kicked f**k out of me (I know not acceptable now but this was 1982) yet we headed up to Dens the very next day to watch the Dees, all forgiven if not forgotten.

So, HK, can you remember who the Arabs were playing when you went to see them?  :o  

• Funny 5

Little did people know at the time.. this was the best football team the country would ever see. (Just thought I'd clarify that for you, Cobra !)

I wasn't there, as I wasn't even 1 year old by then, but my old man was and is still a season ticket holder at 87. I remember having a minor fall out with him in the late seventies when I was getting crabbit watching Gemmell's duds and he was telling me to settle down. I responded by asking how he could stay so calm watching the shyte we were suffering after seeing the Champions in the early sixties - his response was simple and stands true to this day : "Ach, I just watch the jerseys !"

We should always try to remember that (although it's often no' easy) - players, managers, owners, etc, all come and go but Dundee FC with the same name and colours (unlike our mongrel neighbours) will always be.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

10 years old at the time and my first ever away game. Funnily I don't remember a huge amount about the game other than the crowd seemed huge to me as a wee lad at the time. Think the occasion was probably a bit too much for me to fully take in!

• Like 1
17 hours ago, WoodStein said:

So, HK, can you remember who the Arabs were playing when you went to see them?  :o  

Hey, Woodstein - i did say not very, very bad!  

• Funny 1

Cobra the atmosphere , the noise, the feeling of anticipation, the excitement leading up to the game & to the kick-off was something I've never ever experienced before.

And  then the uncontrolled madness &  the hysterics o the Dark Blue Fans, with the realisation, we had actually Won the Championship ...

hWith a team that oozed talent & knew the real meaning, of determination & hard graft. The excitement of tat day was so palatable ,you could have ate it .... In fact, eh took a big bag of it hame wi me, which eh nibble at, in the long, sad, barren years that followed, that magical day/our season/the Euro games that followed, that day's/season success.

However great, you or other younger ones have heard about the Dundee Team of Players on that day, the season, believe me (hand on heart) Those of us, of that generation, who were fortunate to live through those days & feel part of the experience  witnessed proudly, something special .... They were even better !! :happyyes:

Thankfully some Scottish/UK, & International based commentators eventually recognised, in the Euro games that followed that season, that the DFC of that time,  had a team of super world quality, exceptionally talented professional players, that were something unique & really special ...

As Individuals & as Team of Players, who played for the pride of wearing the Dark Blue...Personal Pride & Team Pride in Abundance  :wub:

I was 20 yrs old at the time (near 60 yrs ago) And it's incredible to look back,  & realise just how much detail I've forgotten of that day :wacko:

But for the record freends ... The Sun was Shining  ... Both on the park & off the park:chaplin:

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Star Post 1

Up Wi' The Bonnets - Dundee FC

You can sing of the glories of teams you have seen,
Of the Saints or the Dons up in old Aberdeen,
But in all this fine world there's but one team for me,
Its the bold boys who wear the dark blue of Dundee,

(Chorus)
Let the proud Rangers sing of the records they hold,
Let Celtic proclaim all their heros of old,
We will follow and follow o'er land and o'er sea,
For the brave boys who wear the dark blue of Dundee,

For theres many a battle been fought on this field,
And theres many team learn that Dundee never yield,
For although on occasion defeat we must know,
We will rise up again and defeat every foe.

Chorus

Oh theres Robertson, Penman and Alan Gilzean,
With Cousin and Smith they're the finest you've seen,
A defence that is steady, heroic and sure,
Liney, Hamilton, Cox, Seith and Wishart and Ure.

Chorus

Thinking of the auld fella up in the high stand today, thanks for making sure I was brought up in the right way......

DFC more than a football club

Edited by offshoredee
  • Like 5
  • Love 3
  • Star Post 1