The Dark Blues

Why No Talk of Government Support for Football Clubs?

Rate this topic

With all the talk of bailing out airlines, travel copmapnies, small businesses of every description, and even some local governments, it struck me that no one has mentioned bailing out football clubs. I imagine funding will be found for the arts and ancillary businesses, so why not football clubs.

My own feeling is that the SPFL (by which I mean Celtic and Rangers) would rather swap their religious allegiances than allow any sort of government involvement in their little pyramid scheme. If the Scottish Government were to provide funding for struggling clubs, they would surely want to see some of the blatant monopolistic practices (voting rights, funds distribution formulae, TV deals, etc etc) and inequities (home gates kept, influence over decision making, etc etc) altered as a condition.

I have long felt that successive Scottish Governments have avoided this so as not to get into a row with the big two that would almost inevitably not end well for the party concerned at the ballot box once the respective PR machines were set loose.

Another indication of this is the potential backlash against the First Minister's suggestion that even playing behind closed doors might not be permitted because of the risk. Neil McCann seems to be suggesting that imposing such a rule would harm clubs

It just shows for me how far down we have sunk that not even the national government can take on the footballing elite in this country (and others no doubt) for fear of upsetting the fans of certain clubs.

The argument that Football is private business doesn't hold here because private businesses in so many other economic and entertainment areas are boldly holding their hands out and are prepared to make whatever changes are demanded. It is not coincidence that the biggest club in the country simply doesn't need any financial support from Government or anyone else.

By the way, something else I find shameful is that Celtic could have donated £1m to lower league clubs and barely noticed it in their bank account. Instead they chose to watch the recent voting fiasco unfold safe in the knowledge that the funding crisis that precipitated it didn't affect them and that they would in any case receive the lions share of the funding available. They should have foregone their allocation and put it into an emergency funding pot for lower league clubs.

• Like 2
  • Star Post 1
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With all the talk of bailing out airlines, travel copmapnies, small businesses of every description, and even some local governments, it struck me that no one has mentioned bailing out football clubs.

Well, let's be blunt & to the point......one circle.       Re Andrak's OP, I think HMRC consider pretty much all but the OF as 'small businesses', ie Limited Companies with under 100 FT

I'd imagine that government covering 80% of players and staff wages could be seen as assistance? I'm not apologist for the government (and then some) but that outlay in itself is eye waveringly m

I get your point on Celtic being able to hand a million to the smaller clubs but wouldn't that be seen as some kind of bride, at least in some circles ?

5 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

I get your point on Celtic being able to hand a million to the smaller clubs but wouldn't that be seen as some kind of bride, at least in some circles ?

I suppose the £1m could be seen as some kind of bribe, and there are probably rules against that sort of thing. An indirect payment, perhaps by foreoing payments due to them or putting money into a more general SPFL or Government pot would still be possible. Just need to make sure there was no direct lin between funds paid and specific actions by clubs or other conditions exrtacted by Celtic in return (eg even more power in the game).

I take the point Harold, your topic is specifically about the Government's support (or lack of) in the area of Scottish Football Clubs.

And maybe also the focus on the larger Scottish Clubs (if I have it right) Rangers & Celtic ... & maybe as well, other "Big" Scottish Club who have that bit more clout & power, to more or less, decide/dictate, what should/will happen, at the expense of the smaller clubs, with their backs against the wall, whilst doing all they can to basically "hing on" & try to get through this & simply survive ... So apologies at the outset, if I am going off-topic.

Greed it seems to me, to be a terrible thing. And (imo) those that have it (some) dinnae seem that content. Not content with what they have, but always in the quest for more.

Read in the newspaper over the weekend, That many large Companies are doing all they can to exploit this present situation ...

Burberry, which have 9, 800 staff around the world (the goodies) have shunned this "furlough scheme" whereby the Government (Tax Payer) subsides their employees wage ... They are paying their employees, out of their own pocket.

To use the newspaper quote ... " It has emerged that 18 FTSE 100 COMPANIES which have taken advantage of the Governments Job Retention Scheme, have awarded their chief executives more than £300m since 2015. These include Barratts Developments, which has 5,500 staff on furlough and has handed out £20.1 m in pay to their chief executive in the last five years.....British Airways has placed 36, 00 on furlough after paying it's chief executive £19m since 2015"

There are many more examples but the following may give  further insight ... "The Government last night said 512,000 businesses had applied for £4.5bn in wage subsidies for 3,8 furloughed employees"

It just kinda looks to me, that the rich & powerful, find ways to get richer, whilst the poor (& possibly less knowledgeable) usually get left behind in the rush !!

4 hours ago, chomp my root said:

Well, let's be blunt & to the point......one circle.  :o  

Re Andrak's OP, I think HMRC consider pretty much all but the OF as 'small businesses', ie Limited Companies with under 100 FT employees. Would that not place them in the same line for assistance/support as any other similar-sized business?  

I think 'football' has a dilemma, sometimes wanting to be considered somewhere between an independent "hands off us, we'll police our own world" business & also as a community facility, and in doing so, fails to be seen as either of those....maybe moreso in difficult times. The disproportionate difference between the OF & the rest is, of course, an 'exception' to many 'rules for all'.

If, say, Celtic would be expected to give up funds to help the poorer end of this 'business', should we expect the rich businesses at the top of every tree to do the same? No easy answer....morally, competitively or financially, I think. 

• Like 2

I'd imagine that government covering 80% of players and staff wages could be seen as assistance?

I'm not apologist for the government (and then some) but that outlay in itself is eye waveringly massive.

• Like 2