Shaun Byrne – 6.2
Jordan Marshall – 6.17

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think Fin is a curious one in third place. Obviously a fantastic young talent but his starts have been rare since September because he's not quite ready to be a fixture in the side. I suppose t

I am a big fan of McDaid for this reason. Like you say, there were a lot of games he bailed us out as being the only player with flair, with a team not playing well around him and little cohesion, he

Some of the ratings are all wrong.    I think obviously Berra coming in helped us a lot but playing Shaun Byrne to his strengths made us so much better. He was like a different player the last

I've missed more games than I made this season so not in a fair position to say but its subjective in any case. I thought McDaid was worth a better score than that but hey, I maybe saw him on his good days (and I'm biased as I rate him anyway 🤣 ).

Can't read too much into that considering Marshall was in with a shout for player of the season until his injury and Byrne only played a few decent games.  Also, the Tele gives six out of ten most weeks and rarely gives twos or nines like we do on here!!!

Edited by kemback1997

I think Fin is a curious one in third place. Obviously a fantastic young talent but his starts have been rare since September because he's not quite ready to be a fixture in the side.

I suppose though if you've a 16-year-old holding his own in the first team you're going to give a high rating.

McGhee is one I'd expected to be higher and he's been a real stand-out.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Cobra said:

I think Fin is a curious one in third place. Obviously a fantastic young talent but his starts have been rare since September because he's not quite ready to be a fixture in the side.

I suppose though if you've a 16-year-old holding his own in the first team you're going to give a high rating.

McGhee is one I'd expected to be higher and he's been a real stand-out.

Are they not averaging out scores across the season though? 

I've always found the scores handed out in the paper (not just DCT) to be pretty much as middle of the road as possible.

36 minutes ago, barkblue said:

I've always found the scores handed out in the paper (not just DCT) to be pretty much as middle of the road as possible.

In that regard they're probably less emotively scored as the fans do. We see lots of 1's or 2's when we've done it on here before. I guess the journos are a bit more dispassionate about their scores.

1 hour ago, barkblue said:

Yeah I think they are averaging them out over the season. Maybe not the best way to assess the top performers of the season.

14 hours ago, Cobra said:

Yeah I think they are averaging them out over the season. Maybe not the best way to assess the top performers of the season.

Arguably the most consistent performer should win POTY. However, it can mean (and I don't mean this a slight on Gowser, who was really good this season) that the guy who always plays 'OK' comes out with the highest score.

I was hard on McDaid in my blog report card but there's no denying that when he was good he won games for us. When he was bad, however, he was a passenger. All subjective I suppose. 

The thing with stuff like this is that when we lost a few goals you tend to find papers mark all defenders down but that's not always representative of what went on. Seeing McGhee, my own POTY,  in the bottom half of that list is bonkers IMO.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, barkblue said:

Arguably the most consistent performer should win POTY. However, it can mean (and I don't mean this a slight on Gowser, who was really good this season) that the guy who always plays 'OK' comes out with the highest score.

I was hard on McDaid in my blog report card but there's no denying that when he was good he won games for us. When he was bad, however, he was a passenger. All subjective I suppose. 

The thing with stuff like this is that when we lost a few goals you tend to find papers mark all defenders down but that's not always representative of what went on. Seeing McGhee, my own POTY,  in the bottom half of that list is bonkers IMO.

I am a big fan of McDaid for this reason. Like you say, there were a lot of games he bailed us out as being the only player with flair, with a team not playing well around him and little cohesion, he at least could make things happen and very often did. We have definitely changed our style of play and he's had to do a lot more defending at wing back but apart from the Ayr game where he struggled a bit in the conditions playing that role, I've never really thought there were any games where he hasn't worked hard to do what he's been set out to do and he's generally done it well. I think he gets a bit of a harder time because of his hairstyle and flashy boots (also a big game televised error like Marshall) but I've always thought he puts a shift in and I think he'll do well for himself.

I don't really think there's a huge amount between a lot of our players tbh, it's been a lot of new younger players coming in and a lot of tinkering all round to get the team to work around Byrne, Hemmings and Dorrans without conceding lot's of goals. We seemed to be getting there which made the timing of the league ending abruptly so frustrating from our perspective.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, harry94 said:

I am a big fan of McDaid for this reason. Like you say, there were a lot of games he bailed us out as being the only player with flair, with a team not playing well around him and little cohesion, he at least could make things happen and very often did. We have definitely changed our style of play and he's had to do a lot more defending at wing back but apart from the Ayr game where he struggled a bit in the conditions playing that role, I've never really thought there were any games where he hasn't worked hard to do what he's been set out to do and he's generally done it well. I think he gets a bit of a harder time because of his hairstyle and flashy boots (also a big game televised error like Marshall) but I've always thought he puts a shift in and I think he'll do well for himself.

I don't really think there's a huge amount between a lot of our players tbh, it's been a lot of new younger players coming in and a lot of tinkering all round to get the team to work around Byrne, Hemmings and Dorrans without conceding lot's of goals. We seemed to be getting there which made the timing of the league ending abruptly so frustrating from our perspective.

Completely agree regarding his attitude - I meant more of a passenger in terms of his returns some days.

After we changed the system I actually thought it did him a favour because on a day when he wasn't firing on all cylinders he still contributed massively by covering that flank and always making himself available as an out ball by either being open, or with his pace.

Prior to that, when he was being played in a more advanced position he had some days where his distribution wasn't great and when his decision making wasn't what it might have been. That doesn't make him bad but it kind of exposed him a little,  as on those days, in the role he was being asked to play, he didn't have much more to offer. Huge credit to him though that he never hid on those days either.

He's probably my favourite current player - frustrating though he can be - because I want to watch players that get me out of my seat and who give me a flicker of hope that something might happen. McDaid is the most likely to me to do that in our squad I think. There's a wee rush of excitement when he gets on the ball in space with a defender not knowing whether to close him down or back off and not many others in the team offer that. That said, he he's not always been able to do that regularly, but considering he's only something like 24 he's got a lot to offer and I hope he's at Dens for a good while to come.

• Like 1

Some of the ratings are all wrong. 

I think obviously Berra coming in helped us a lot but playing Shaun Byrne to his strengths made us so much better. He was like a different player the last few months. At the start we weren’t using him like Livingston did. Him playing next to dorrans is the best 2 to play in there then u can add in McGowan or Finlay to partner them. Kano having someone else upfront helped a lot to. He was starved of service earlier on in the season. There’s a making of a good team here if we can get it going

• Like 2

I think McGowan's flick to Hemmings against Ayr alone makes him deserving of POTY. It was an amazing piece of skill. If that had been Messi people would have been raving about it for months. He did not even look up. It was purely instinctive and he knew that Hemmings would be on the move. The finish from Hemmings was a cracker as well. However, I think McGhee deserves the award for his consistency over the season with MacDaid coming s close second. Along with Marshall these 3 have been really good signings and gives us hope going forward. Having said that both Forster and Meekings had a good end to the season when they were asked to do what they are good at. It is good to see Hemmings back in dark blue because hr gives us s threat that we have been lacking since he and Stewart departed.

• Like 2