The Dark Blues

European Football Leagues

Rate this topic

France has become the first of Europe's big five leagues to cancel the season.

The football season will not be allowed to resume, the country's prime minister has said.

They have yet to decide whether to null and void the leagues or to have promotion/relegation.

The French are aiming to kick off the new season in August. Hopefully we can do the same here in Scotland.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You'd better hope Mrs Gedee doesn't read this and get any ideas!  

You may be a far distance away HK, but it seems Margaret's reputation has travelled far & wide ...  (Although in fairness to her it was Admin John who introduced me to the World of Leather &

This would suit  a few Dundee players😃😃

2 hours ago, Cobra said:

Hopefully we can do the same here in Scotland.

Football authorities doing something sensible in this country - what are you thinking, Cobra ???????

44 minutes ago, CBH62 said:

Football authorities doing something sensible in this country - what are you thinking, Cobra ???????

I know mate. It really does feel like the lunatics are running the asylum. Christ knows what they'll do next.

Bundesliga's planned return has been thrown into turmoil after reports that Germany could toughen up its lockdown protocols.

Clubs in the German top flight have returned to training in the hope that the rest of the season can be finished off - providing Chancellor Angela Merkel gives the green light for action to get back underway. 

The league had pencilled in May 9 as a possible date to return to the pitch, but those hopes might have to be shelved amid after reports surfacing that coronavirus cases had spiked in the country, which could force Chancellor Angela Merkel to tighten lockdown after shops, schools and churches began to open again.   

Plans to resume the Premier League season will step up this week in what has been labelled "Project Restart".

Arsenal, Brighton and West Ham have opened their training grounds to players for individual work on Monday.

The league is hopeful of a potential 8 June restart and finishing at the end of July to fit in with Uefa's European competition plans. This would require full training to begin by 18 May.

Top-flight clubs will meet on Friday to discuss options for the restart.

The Spanish league's president says it is vital that the season is finished, despite cancellations in France and the Netherlands

La Liga president Javier Tebas has been critical of the decision to call an end to the Ligue 1 season, comparing matches behind closed doors to working on an assembly line or fishing boat as Spanish football moves closer to a return.

"I do not understand why there would more danger in playing football behind closed doors, with all precautionary measures, than working on an assembly line, being on a fishing boat on the high seas, etc.," Tebas said in a statement.

"If important economic sectors cannot restart, in a safe and controlled manner, they could end up disappearing. That could happen to professional football.

"In other countries, teams are already training, that's the example to follow."

European leagues have until 25 May to tell Uefa whether they want to complete or cancel their seasons.

So that's 4 weeks the SPFL have to make a decision on how we end this shambles. That means Rangers need to get their finger out if they're going to get that vote cancelled.  Also reconstruction talks need to happen urgently (although I expect that will fizzle away to f**k all).

France have done what is wise. The only thing that is driving these countries to finish their leagues is money. They stand to lose big sums if they do not fulfill their contractual obligations. Scottish football are not in the same boat, so for Rangers, Aberdeen, and Hearts to be pushing for a finish is nonsense. The Premiership should be declared now instead of putting players lives at risk for the sake of something that is inevitable anyway, Celtic being crowned champions, which everyone sees as a given, except Rangers.

Italy's minister for sport is saying they might follow France and end the season even though the clubs are desperate to complete the league.

Why haven't the SPFL made a decision yet? Is it because Rangers are so powerful and influential the authorities want the decision taken out of their hands?

EPL set to kick off on June 13th behind closed doors. At least we'll have some football to watch. I believe they're thinking about allowing five subs each to cope with all the fixtures.

• Like 1

Good grief. Some of the suggestions for the EPL kicking off are ridiculous. I thought having no fans and playing games at neutral venues was bad enough but now they're talking about players wearing masks and no physical contact allowed at set-pieces!

4 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Good grief. Some of the suggestions for the EPL kicking off are ridiculous. I thought having no fans and playing games at neutral venues was bad enough but now they're talking about players wearing masks and no physical contact allowed at set-pieces!

I'd agree, Cobra....masks would need to have only minimal hindrance to the intake of air into players lungs (unless sprinting is banned :o), which would surely make them utterly useless as a protective measure. Games would last 2-3 hours if refs had to 'police' social distancing at free-kicks or corners....and what happens when the ball arrives....only vertical jumps allowed? 😂  

They'd be as well playing televised subbuteo.

Or they could maybe install a set of pitch-wide poles, and 'fix' the players by the shoulders so they could trap, pass, shoot, but not move? That would highlight who's good at the passing game! 

• Funny 2

PSG declared champions of France. How long until the SPFL find the balls to hand Celtic the title?

2 hours ago, WoodStein said:

I'd agree, Cobra....masks would need to have only minimal hindrance to the intake of air into players lungs (unless sprinting is banned :o), which would surely make them utterly useless as a protective measure. Games would last 2-3 hours if refs had to 'police' social distancing at free-kicks or corners....and what happens when the ball arrives....only vertical jumps allowed? 😂  

They'd be as well playing televised subbuteo.

Or they could maybe install a set of pitch-wide poles, and 'fix' the players by the shoulders so they could trap, pass, shoot, but not move? That would highlight who's good at the passing game! 

Tish and pish mate, I'm sure there's a work round.....

H5d.gif

2 hours ago, chomp my root said:

Tish and pish mate, I'm sure there's a work round.....

H5d.gif

That's the one.....but with 'real players' & a bigger pitch  :)