The Dark Blues

Berra

Rate this topic

What's the chances of keeping him for next season? Hopefully if he is keen to stay the board will go all out to secure his services as he is the sort of player we will need next season but I suppose it depends on whether Hearts join us or not 

• Like 2
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd personally give him a 2 year deal unless he was after silly money. Still think he's got a couple years left due to his reading of the game. He seems to be a good influence and if signed should be

My one wee worry about this transfer would be if the cost ended up being committing to him for more than a year. He's been a solid addition this season but if it's a two year deal which would take him

Always mate, always. Being a Dee it comes naturally. 😁

15 minutes ago, Wackyjim said:

What's the chances of keeping him for next season? Hopefully if he is keen to stay the board will go all out to secure his services as he is the sort of player we will need next season but I suppose it depends on whether Hearts join us or not 

I’d love him to stay as well, but you’re bang on about Hearts being relegated. If they do go down Stendel will more than likely be sacked and his replacement might see Berra in a different light.

• Like 1

I don't think hearts will get relegated as I can see them reconsructing the league to save hearts but I have a feeling they won't want to let him go to us because of this whole vote thing... Obviously I hope I'm wrong though as our defence looked ten times better with him in there. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, wearedarkblue87 said:

I don't think hearts will get relegated as I can see them reconsructing the league to save hearts but I have a feeling they won't want to let him go to us because of this whole vote thing... Obviously I hope I'm wrong though as our defence looked ten times better with him in there. 

Berra should be our number 1 target but he's tied down to Hearts until 2021 and I agree they won't want to do us a favour this summer. We'll probably miss out on Wighton for the same reason.

• Like 1

Just guess work on my part but I would imagine he'd get more lucrative offers than us. Don't get me wrong, would be delighted if we could make it happen.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, chomp my root said:

Just guess work on my part but I would imagine he'd get more lucrative offers than us. Don't get me wrong, would be delighted if we could make it happen.

JM managed to persuade Dorrans so you never know.

• Like 1

Just realised that Berra turns 36 next season. The likes of Accies and St Mirren might be interested but if he's released this summer you'd have to think we've got a good chance of bringing him back, especially if he's bonded with the squad and likes the gaffer.

9 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Just realised that Berra turns 36 next season. The likes of Accies and St Mirren might be interested but if he's released this summer you'd have to think we've got a good chance of bringing him back, especially if he's bonded with the squad and likes the gaffer.

He seemed to clearly enjoy being at Dens as well, so maybe that would help persuade him?

• Like 1

Think we should try to get him. Difficult ask though, but if he wants to play regularly you would hope that he enjoyed his time with us and would maybe like the idea of a first division championship medal with us. Don't know if he already has one from Hearts, sorry too lazy to look it up.

Credit to himself and James McPake if he decides to stay ... And another wee step in establishing himself as DFC manager...Keep up the progress James:chaplin:

12 hours ago, Cobra said:

My one wee worry about this transfer would be if the cost ended up being committing to him for more than a year. He's been a solid addition this season but if it's a two year deal which would take him to nearly being 38, you worry about how much that could cost long-term, especially given his Hearts contract. He's at that age where a players career can suddenly just seem to plummet after a few games and every injury becomes a real test.

I'd be very happy to see him back in a Dundee strip but I think we've got to be looking at alternatives, it would be poor planning if we had a transfer debacle over the summer window focused on him and then end up missing other targets or spending a fortune. As good as he's been, the improvement in the defence also come with a change in playing style, tactical set-up and other additions/improvements (such as Hazard return and Meekings/Forster both playing well, Byrne being reintroduced in more of a defensive mid variety). He's definitely played a big part in it but I think it'd be oversimplified to say that it was just his arrival and many of the changes around him were also fairly major and we'd been crying out for. We never really got to see him in the big matches V United or Inverness which would have been interesting.

There are a lot of experienced pro centre backs out of contract in the English leagues and up here this summer who you'd think could be a really good addition in a no nonsense type defence we've been playing. Motherwell flying high right now and their club captain Peter Hartley has his contract up, despite being a first team regular. They are quite ambitious and there is some suggestion that they may chase better. Again probably one with other offers but he could be quite a coup and arguably a much better signing than Berra on paper in terms of his current level and he's not got a massive salary needing settled like Berra does.

• Like 3

At the age he's at I think the correct thing to do is thank him for the service and move on, there are other options who are younger and fitter.