Full Nelms Interview In Courier Tomorrow

Rate this topic

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Excellent reporting. Neil Robertson in the Scottish Daily Mail has the same wording from John Nelms as appears in the Courier. Gives a good explanation of what he did, that's what we were needing to h

JN comes across really well there I think, I know some will be happy to blame him and the club for all that's wrong in the world but there's nothing you can do about people who are that blinkered. He'

And not a dicky bird on BBC Scotland website after they, particularly Tom English have been clamouring for Nelms to say something all week.

Just read above transcript ... And I feel I've got to say, John Nelms has me blowing hot & cold ...Today after reading that, he is again back in favour.

Everyone I am sure will have their own views/opinions & will possibly have spent more time analyising/disecting each sentence, paragraph & section.

But my overall picture is that he's been as honest & comprehensive as he could have been in the general process & issues leading up to this situation.

Maybe within his replies/responses there is a wee bit of twisting the truth, but I'd like to think this is not the case I'm glad he made the effort to clarify.

• Star Post 2
56 minutes ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

And not a dicky bird on BBC Scotland website after they, particularly Tom English have been clamouring for Nelms to say something all week.

I'll (reluctantly) give them the benefit of the doubt Billy ...

Although they are quick enough to get off the blocks when it appears negative & they can get the boot in.

Certainly would be interested to hear what other fellow Forum Members, thought of his comments...Fair?

Its still a vote of "No Confidence" from me sorry! Don't believe a word that this BOD's say these days sadly!

7 hours ago, rossbatchelor9 said:

JN comes across really well there I think, I know some will be happy to blame him and the club for all that's wrong in the world but there's nothing you can do about people who are that blinkered. He's 'shown his workings' in why he played it the way he did, fair play to him for holding firm and pushing for the reconstruction. We'll just need to see what Rangers and Celtic the SPFL are willing to go with.

• Like 6

Excellent reporting. Neil Robertson in the Scottish Daily Mail has the same wording from John Nelms as appears in the Courier. Gives a good explanation of what he did, that's what we were needing to hear, IMO. Also nice to see he didn't mince his words about Scot Gardiner's behaviour. 

For me this clears the air. It does not come across as self serving and it is clear that he was persuaded, by those he talked to, that there was an appetite for improvement to the Scottish game, he even makes the point that Sky should be part of that process.

• Like 8

After getting bombarded with so much criticism from every quarter, he has my admiration for taking a pause to think things over & offer (imo) a constructive response.

• Like 2

Interesting that he said they were in the early stages of discussions re re-organisation yet initially Ann Budge said she (unrealistically) wanted agreement on the way forward in 3 weeks.

His comments suggest he aint happy with Gardiner, or the SPFL re their early announcement re the votes cast.

Edited by Double Blue
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, BCram said:

Excellent reporting. Neil Robertson in the Scottish Daily Mail has the same wording from John Nelms as appears in the Courier. Gives a good explanation of what he did, that's what we were needing to hear, IMO. Also nice to see he didn't mince his words about Scot Gardiner's behaviour. 

For me this clears the air. It does not come across as self serving and it is clear that he was persuaded, by those he talked to, that there was an appetite for improvement to the Scottish game, he even makes the point that Sky should be part of that process.

Aye, he was very tactful, every man and his dug knew who he was talking about.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
15 minutes ago, BCram said:

I said at the time on here that we should be careful with anything the guy says.

He isn't known as Spoofer because of his propensity to tell the full truth.

• Like 2

I think that's an excellent statement from Nelms. As has been his style since he came in, he waits until the furore is over and then, eloquently puts across his side.

On a broader note though, what have we learned? That the vote got caught in the spam folder. That we changed our vote after discussion and to 'better' the game. That spoofer's gonna spoof. That a lot of chairmen/clubs posture for their fans and do things differently behind closed doors (and that some don't). That the idea is to improve the product, create more wealth and spread it more evenly - but no one really knows how we do that.

In essence, we knew all of that already. 

In fairness, only time will tell if Scottish Football becomes something it currently isn't. Personally I can't see how we'll end up with anything other than two teams winning almost everything every year and fan bases round the country growing and contracting as their club's fortunes improve and decline as they ever have. The game in general is way too far down the line for a sea change to sweep through things and make the product more exciting. 

In all honesty, as a Dundee supporter, what difference will I see out of this? Very little I'd guess, but who knows at this stage?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, barkblue said:

I think that's an excellent statement from Nelms. As has been his style since he came in, he waits until the furore is over and then, eloquently puts across his side.

On a broader note though, what have we learned? That the vote got caught in the spam folder. That we changed our vote after discussion and to 'better' the game. That spoofer's gonna spoof. That a lot of chairmen/clubs posture for their fans and do things differently behind closed doors (and that some don't). That the idea is to improve the product, create more wealth and spread it more evenly - but no one really knows how we do that.

In essence, we knew all of that already. 

In fairness, only time will tell if Scottish Football becomes something it currently isn't. Personally I can't see how we'll end up with anything other than two teams winning almost everything every year and fan bases round the country growing and contracting as their club's fortunes improve and decline as they ever have. The game in general is way too far down the line for a sea change to sweep through things and make the product more exciting. 

In all honesty, as a Dundee supporter, what difference will I see out of this? Very little I'd guess, but who knows at this stage?

I think you may well be right with your overall summary of the article and his general responses freend ...

But his statements & assumptions that followed his initial statement, left me wi' a soor taste in meh mooth :tears:

I think he has now in part redeemed himself. Time will tell of course. Probably none here withoot blame :happyyes:

5 hours ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

It is on the bbc website.