On This Day 1963

Rate this topic

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nice piece put together on the 57 year anniversary of the Milan game.    Well worth a read. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52439318

Brilliant and add on to Paddy Barclays recollections on Mutmeg Mag. Despite the 1-5 first leg a crowd of 35000 vonverged that fine evening and the view of the packed crowd from our usual stance b

Aye dblair .... As you say, it's well worth a read..I was just away to put the link up Suppose we better gie credit to BBC Scotland for noting the date & adding the article HAPPY DAYS I

9 minutes ago, dblair said:

Nice piece put together on the 57 year anniversary of the Milan game. 

Well worth a read. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52439318

Aye dblair .... As you say, it's well worth a read..I was just away to put the link up:chaplin:

Suppose we better gie credit to BBC Scotland for noting the date & adding the article :happyyes:

HAPPY DAYS INDEED :wub:

• Like 2

Brilliant and add on to Paddy Barclays recollections on Mutmeg Mag.

Despite the 1-5 first leg a crowd of 35000 vonverged that fine evening and the view of the packed crowd from our usual stance behind the goal in the Provvie lives on in the memory.Magnificent does not do it justice .

particular memories.

With the score 0-0 early second half came the first close thing in what was a cagey match was when AC's pin-up centre forward Gianni Rivera,broke through in a one on one with Bert Slater.I felt certain he would score and our dream would be at an end but when he pulled it wide of the post we cewlebrated like we had scored.Then Gillie scored from a Gordon Smith cross.Could it just  could it be possible.?We did not know just how cynical AC were to be.They had a left back Trebbi who got away with outrageous assaults on Gordon Smith.On at least 3 occasions that I saw and the South enclosure roared ,this Trebbi when the ball was in play under the main stand would sneak up behind Smith and kick or scrape his studs down the back of his leg.Smith went down but did not retaliate.The ref was at the other side of the pitch and the linesman failed to flag it up.

The tactic was lost on a player of Smith's stature .So they turned it up with Gillie to breaking point which duly led to his dismissal shortly before the end.

At the finalwhistle there was a pitch invasion and I charged on from the Provvie with my mates.The said Gianni Rivera was first in line on the edge of the box and I well remember the look of sheer terror on his face as several hundred Dees charged on towards him and then his relief when he realised that we were all running past him to applaud our heroes.

?

• Like 2
  • Star Post 1

The only thing I would add is the other 'goal' we scored, but I can't recall if it was before or after Gillie's goal. It was in the Provie goal, so you might have had a better view....I was in the main stand, centre. My Dad couldn't get tickets, but we got a couple of centre-stand comps courtesy of Johnston Grant, arab director at the time, and an old Ferry school pal of my Dad & team-mate in the successful Eastern & Anchorage teams of the mid 20's-mid-30's.

As I recall it, we attacked up the left, the ball was played in to Gillie around the edge of the box (with the inevitable CH on his back), he laid it back to Penman, who bulged the net from 25 yards. The linesman flagged Gillie as offside.

.....did that happen, or another childhood imaginary memory?  🤔 

At the time, I was sure, if we'd gone 2-up, Milan might have panicked a bit & given us enough free kicks, maybe even a penalty. Might have been an interesting ending. Their cynicism & dirty tricks all through that game helped me become a Celtic fan for a day, in 1967....Inter were equally as bad as AC.....all the more disappointing (as Paddy said) as that stature of player shouldn't need to resort to that. 

• Like 1

Their CH was no less than Cesare Maldini father of Paulo only better.What a pair of shoulders.I was not aware of him playing dirty tricks as much as he others but maybe he concealed it better with his physique.

I dont recall the 'goal' which if at Provvie Road end must have been first half.Not saying it didnt happen I just dont remember it which could be because it was a clear offside and play had stopped before Andy P.netted.What a talent Andy was at such a young age.He was probably still a teenager bit first team debut at age 15 made him quite experienced.In 60/61 he suffered a bad leg break against Kilmarnock.Next season 61/62 of course he took revenge on them at Dens with a hat trick in a noteable 5-3 win which was an early season portent of just how good this team was.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, dfcman said:

Their CH was no less than Cesare Maldini father of Paulo only better.What a pair of shoulders.I was not aware of him playing dirty tricks as much as he others but maybe he concealed it better with his physique.

I don't think Cesare Maldini, as with young Paolo, needed to add the cynical stuff to be effective (though a few of their players clearly did), he was one of the best central defenders in the world for a long time. He read the game well & was always in the right place, right time. A bit like Billy McNeil was, a leader. 

My memory of the Penman goal was a s follows. We played towards the TC Kay end in the 1st half and Gillie scored just before half time.Early In the second half  playing 

towards the Provie road Penman hit a great shot from outside the box level with the D the penalty box. It went into the bottom corner. The stand side linesman flagged

Gillie offside who was standing on the opposite side of the field on the sideline. Nowhere interfering with play. Who knows if that goal had stood if it would have changed the result. But as it was early in the second half another goal would have made them panic.

17 hours ago, bob1962 said:

My memory of the Penman goal was a s follows. We played towards the TC Kay end in the 1st half and Gillie scored just before half time.Early In the second half  playing 

towards the Provie road Penman hit a great shot from outside the box level with the D the penalty box. It went into the bottom corner. The stand side linesman flagged

Gillie offside who was standing on the opposite side of the field on the sideline. Nowhere interfering with play. Who knows if that goal had stood if it would have changed the result. But as it was early in the second half another goal would have made them panic.

Checked this in Norrie Prices Book and you are correct.Me auld memory was reversing the halves.My clearest memory is of Trebbi blatantly drawing his studs down the back of Smiths leg and that was in the TC Keay half in front of the South Enclosure.I assumed it would have been late in the game second half but it was actually first half.So Rivera's miss was first half and Gillies goal was just before half time.There is footage of that goal and while it was made by Smiths inch perfect cross from the edge of the box Gillie did brilliantly to get to it in front of Maldini.

Norrie confirms that Penman netted in second half with Gillie being flagged off side but I think the offside rule was rigid in these days and you didnt need to be interfering with play?

Question for DFC Trivia buffs.

One player from each side played in both the 1963 and the 1971 (UEFA CUP) matches between Dundee and A.C.Milan.Who were they?

3 hours ago, dfcman said:

Question for DFC Trivia buffs.

One player from each side played in both the 1963 and the 1971 (UEFA CUP) matches between Dundee and A.C.Milan.Who were they?

Alex Stuart & Gianni Rivera? Only two that I think were young enough to have survived?

ps....You're right about the offside law back then, if you were forward of the ball & closer to the goal than any 2 defending players, you were offside no matter where you were across the pitch.

15 hours ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

Fab memories guys. Its amazing how you all have differing clarities of these incidents. Long may they live in your memories

C'mon, it's no' just the auld guys......every week on here there are much younger guys with wildly different views of incidents from the last home game! :o  

I was still at primary school for the title, european cup & scottish cup seasons.....canna' even blame it on the beer :drinks:  

......but I think the recent years' wine volume may have erased a good few games! :chin: ....I'm impressed that we've never lost a derby in my 60's 😂   

• Funny 1
1 hour ago, WoodStein said:

Alex Stuart & Gianni Rivera? Only two that I think were young enough to have survived?

ps....You're right about the offside law back then, if you were forward of the ball & closer to the goal than any 2 defending players, you were offside no matter where you were across the pitch.

Half right,but I wont say which.

A suitably obscure clue.Each of them missed a glorious chance in their awat tie.