The Dark Blues

Genuine Question: What Is Everyone Doing To Keep Fit During This Period?

Rate this topic

I came across this exercise video on BBC Sports Page

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/gymnastics/52433308

Thought it was very impressive, but certainly beyond me.

But made we wonder if anyone out there could go though that series of exercises (or something like it) & look as relaxed at the beginning & end as that young lass did.

I think I'd get as far as stage1, & then I'd need Mrs Gedee to be calling the Paramedics...But that said, I've now taking up again short daily walks & really into gardening.

Jings, even put some time aside to play the guitar and hae a big sing-song with myself (Pretty awful but definitely helps with social isolation)....So whit aboot yirselves?

(Try to keep it nice please):chaplin:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Slowly and steadily been getting less and less active and the bad food intake has increased sharply. Really struggling for motivation to do anything and I'm starting to feel agitated most of the time.

WW ... Probably like most of us, you know your own limitations, but where/when possible, and taking into account your own health, age, fitness & capabilities, maybe you (& maybe others) should

It is Chomp. They weren't shifting many so they've finally brought the prices down a bit. It's more the big Cadbury and Lindt bunnies they've got left now; Lindt ones are £1.50 which isn't bad as they

We're playing the game and only going out once a day each with the dugs so I'm getting less walking than I normally do but I'm doing weights in the house most days, I split it so I can do a couple days then have a day off. Nothing insane, 15 to 20 minute sessions. 

There you go Gedee, nice and clean. 😃

• Funny 1
4 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

There you go Gedee, nice and clean

Chomp as long as we can keep Admin John away from this thread we should be alright.

It's just putting extra pressure in him, expecting him to refrain from lowering the tone ;)

Congratulations freend in your efforts to abide to the rules, whilst at the same time, try yo maintain a degree of fitness.

When the emphasis was put on the restrictions of only ONE walk a day, I came to the realisation, that some days of late ... 

I was never oot my hoose at awe, in the course of one day. Jist aboot on my erse awe day. No now, short walk every day.

When I say a short walk, I really mean short. But even that & all the extra gardening I'm doing, my health/fitness is better :)

• Like 1

I have the bike set up on the turbo trainer in the garage, trying to get a minimum of 100 miles a week in. Signed up for Zwift, it's not the same as getting out on the road but it's great for training with and cheaper than the gym (whenever gyms reopen)

Got to do something to work off the beer and kebabs :D

• Like 2

Good for you Harold ... As I said above I am now taking a regular short walks every day.

I'm in a relatively quiet rural area, but since the restrictions, there has been more bikers on the road. And these are increasing more so in the past few days.

My newish wee pup dog hates them. But enjoys barking at them & scaring the life oot o' them, just as they're passing .Yet he's normally friendly & welcoming :)

15 hours ago, Gedee said:

Good for you Harold ... As I said above I am now taking a regular short walks every day.

I'm in a relatively quiet rural area, but since the restrictions, there has been more bikers on the road. And these are increasing more so in the past few days.

My newish wee pup dog hates them. But enjoys barking at them & scaring the life oot o' them, just as they're passing .Yet he's normally friendly & welcoming :)

Hadn't realised you'd got another dug Gedee, we need to see a picture....

4 hours ago, chomp my root said:

Hadn't realised you'd got another dug Gedee, we need to see a picture....

Hi Chomp ... It's a "newish" dog/pup as mentioned above (Jack Russel Cross) ...

I've forgotten how to put pics up, but I will get around to it (Tam is his name):chaplin:

Might even try to get a video o' him chasing the bikers up the road :rant:

For the record (Tae keep me & Tam oot o trouble) he's aye on lead :happyyes:

• Like 1

Rather than do lead-up warming exercise towards the handstand I thought last night before going to bed I'd gallantly dive into the handstand against the wall.

Will now try to find a builder/plasterer to fix extensive interior & exterior damage to the wall On the plus side I got a new view of the sun coming up this morning ;)

Slowly and steadily been getting less and less active and the bad food intake has increased sharply. Really struggling for motivation to do anything and I'm starting to feel agitated most of the time. 

I'm off tomorrow so I'm clearing the cobwebs, big time. 

Keep the heid up, everyone. If you ever need to let off some steam, PM'ing me is always an option. 

• Like 6
9 hours ago, WeighorstsWang said:

I'm off tomorrow so I'm clearing the cobwebs, big time. 

Keep the heid up, everyone. If you ever need to let off some steam, PM'ing me is always an option. 

WW ... Probably like most of us, you know your own limitations, but where/when possible, and taking into account your own health, age, fitness & capabilities, maybe you (& maybe others) should try to stretch yourselves that wee bit further ... Starting with getting the mindset in tune & then small steps at a time.

I pretty well detest the long, cold dark days of winter & the lack of sun & daylight. But I usually find by the first sins of spring I can get myself motivated again. With no football at all to interest me & feeling within myself I'm no really fit enough for longish walks, gardening, fishing etc. I found myself sitting about far too long & often on computer or watching TV.

The start for me was taking in one  early morning short walk a day. Initially it was a bit of a chore, mainly because of the pain in the joints/muscles & the lack of energy & enthusiasm. But with Mrs G's gentle, encouraging coaxing (Get aff yir erse ye fat lazy lump) it is now an integral part of my daily routine. In fact I surpassed myself yesterday by suggesting to Margaret I fancied another walk in the afternoon (She near keeled ower in shock)

For me, these short walks, no only offer improved fitness & peace of mind, I've found them a stimulation to get on with other things (both old & new) ... I have accepted now there is no fitba to interest me, but I'm now getting right back into productive gardening (Increased numbers & varieties of Raspberries/Strawberries, Tomatoes obviously, & vegetables .... Did I ever mention I grow a huge variety of tomatoes? ;) 

Anyway, it's this that allows me to get out of the house, into garden, greenhouses/pollytunnels ...

Thankfully I've got a super wife, who is energetic & supportive. And definitely a lot fitter than me.

In the house I've widened my range of cooking & baking. And started getting quite creative in the making of confectionery ... (A post from Mary on here really got me into this) I followed her post by buying a big Jelly Pan & Jam/Candy Thermometer ... Noo there's nae huddin me back.

Even brought oot the auld guitar & got myself a new set of strings. I'm nothing spectacular on the playing front, but eh sing awa pretty loudly) and this no only helps cover meh many mistakes, it's also my little contribution towards social isolation...The noises coming fae meh hoose means it's unlikely we'll get bothered wi any visitors:chaplin:

• Like 4

I'm going out five times a week, either a six mile run or twenty miles on the bike.

And I'm still putting on weight due to the ten second walk to the kitchen to get another wee snack to keep me going.

• Funny 1
  • Star Post 1
15 minutes ago, OCDee said:

I'm going out five times a week, either a six mile run or twenty miles on the bike.

And I'm still putting on weight due to the ten second walk to the kitchen to get another wee snack to keep me going.

OCDee .... I was very impressed with the opening line of your post (Oh to be young)  Or at least a bit younger :bouncy:

It was concluding line mind, that made me laugh. Humour: Dark, Weird, Any Kind, is the tonic that works for me:chaplin:

Friend, if ye want tae tak my wee dog Tam wi ye if you're ever passing my way he'll help ye add anither few miles :explode:

AS WW SAYS... "Keep the heid up everyone" :wub:

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Gedee said:

OCDee .... I was very impressed with the opening line of your post (Oh to be young)  Or at least a bit younger :bouncy:

It was concluding line mind, that made me laugh. Humour: Dark, Weird, Any Kind, is the tonic that works for me:chaplin:

Friend, if ye want tae tak my wee dog Tam wi ye if you're ever passing my way he'll help ye add anither few miles :explode:

AS WW SAYS... "Keep the heid up everyone" :wub:

Thanks for the offer Gedee; I miss having a dog to walk. 

My downfall at the moment is the local supermarket still selling Easter eggs off cheaply.....

1 minute ago, OCDee said:

My downfall at the moment is the local supermarket still selling Easter eggs off cheaply.....

I think friend, NOT having the dogs to walk (plus gallopin' auld age) was the turnaround of my general lack of fitness, as well as losing the inclination to get mobility & drive. We had 4 dogs together over around 14 years ... They all had a good long healthy life, but last year, with really only a few months in between, sadly, there time had come.

We left it a bit, to see what life would be like without a pet in the house, but we missed them ... And so, Wee Tam came along :)

He's very active and we're still at the early stages of training. But he's forgiving type... And gave us anither chance to get it right ;)

And keep awa fae thon Creamy Easter Eggs:chaplin:

• Like 1
2 hours ago, OCDee said:

Is that the wee Sainsbo's mate ???? The missus has been known to dabble in the odd easter egg or three.