Dundee On Sportsound Today

Rate this topic

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's usually towards the end of the programme, around 4:00/4:30, as Off The Ball starts at 5:00.....which will feature recordings of Stuart Cosgrove greetin' about his pal Tommy leaving.  

It's a shame Cobra but most leagues are going this way now I think. Can't think of many leagues (maybe some of the Scandinavian leagues, WoodStein will know better than me) where there is a genuine ch

Shared Gates stopped in early 1981  a given open cheque book to the OF madness for all other teams to let that vote thru 

Also in the light of Tommy Wright’s departure from St Johnstone they are featuring the Saints Scottish Cup final victory against  United.

59 minutes ago, Neil Cameron said:

Dundees epic match against Hearts featured on Sportsound this afternoon. Sorry don’t know the time.

It's usually towards the end of the programme, around 4:00/4:30, as Off The Ball starts at 5:00.....which will feature recordings of Stuart Cosgrove greetin' about his pal Tommy leaving.  

• Funny 2

34 years ago yet I recall it like yesterday.......helped no doubt by still having a recording of it!! Only negative was Celtic winning the league but I didn't feel sorry for Hearts at all as we needed to win that game!!-Always held a dim view of St Mirren that day! So much has changed since then but that took me back to being a 17 year old again!

The 2nd goal viewed from the back of the Provie Road I can still recall, Kidds run past the Derry and the small pocket of Jambos who had snuck into the corner of The Provie getting evacuated through the bottom of the Provie Road past the jubilant Dundee fans.-A bit  of history.

Amazing to think the Old Firm have won the league every year since we denied Hearts the title. What a joke.

If I'm not mistaken we had shared gates until the late 80s and that's why we once had a proper competition.

57 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Amazing to think the Old Firm have won the league every year since we denied Hearts the title. What a joke.

If I'm not mistaken we had shared gates until the late 80s and that's why we once had a proper competition.

Yes I remember everybody's (Clubs/Fans) complaints at the time that the rich were going to get richer and the poor would get poorer!- Hey it was the 80s after all and that was the policy!

Yet it was allowed to happen and like you say it the became a Glasgow Monopoly with the rest of us fighting for the scraps in the vain hope for a home cup draw against one of them to boast the coffers!!(Mind you that has also gone with the distraction of SKY/BT etc!)

Not a level playing field !

1 minute ago, Donny O said:

Yes I remember everybody's (Clubs/Fans) complaints at the time that the rich were going to get richer and the poor would get poorer!- Hey it was the 80s after all and that was the policy!

Yet it was allowed to happen and like you say it the became a Glasgow Monopoly with the rest of us fighting for the scraps in the vain hope for a home cup draw against one of them to boast the coffers!!(Mind you that has also gone with the distraction of SKY/BT etc!)

Not a level playing field !

Why did clubs outside the Old Firm agree to it if folk could see it was going to be a disaster for the game?

5 hours ago, Cobra said:

It's a shame Cobra but most leagues are going this way now I think. Can't think of many leagues (maybe some of the Scandinavian leagues, WoodStein will know better than me) where there is a genuine chance of maybe 6 or 7 teams winning the league at the start of the season. They like to say that they have that down south but in reality, most title races are between 2, maybe 3 teams at a push. 

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, an-dee said:

It's a shame Cobra but most leagues are going this way now I think. Can't think of many leagues (maybe some of the Scandinavian leagues, WoodStein will know better than me) where there is a genuine chance of maybe 6 or 7 teams winning the league at the start of the season. They like to say that they have that down south but in reality, most title races are between 2, maybe 3 teams at a push. 

There's certainly a growing problem in the big 5 leagues. Juve, Bayern and PSG are winning their titles every year.

I think we're unique in being a small country of 5m with no competition though. There are no oligarchs and sheikhs in Scotland so it should be possible for any team to have a great season and win the league like in Scandinavia. Unfortunately though we have two clubs that are toxic religious cults and half the country throws money at them.

46 minutes ago, Cobra said:

There's certainly a growing problem in the big 5 leagues. Juve, Bayern and PSG are winning their titles every year.

I think we're unique in being a small country of 5m with no competition though. There are no oligarchs and sheikhs in Scotland so it should be possible for any team to have a great season and win the league like in Scandinavia. Unfortunately though we have two clubs that are toxic religious cults and half the country throws money at them.

One telling statistic regarding the big five leagues is that they were all won by the same teams in 2017/18 and 2018/19 - apparently that's never happened before.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Cobra said:

I may be wrong, but I’m sure shared gates stopped when the premier league started in 74

12 minutes ago, valleyboy said:

I may be wrong, but I’m sure shared gates stopped when the premier league started in 74

You might be right. I had it in my head it was around 89.

1 hour ago, Cobra said:

Shared Gates stopped in early 1981  a given open cheque book to the OF madness for all other teams to let that vote thru 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Cobra said:

been corrected, we’ll meet in the middle 😜

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, jojo gunn said:

Interesting. I wonder why the impact didn't hit us until later. I guess it's because the Old Firm weren't getting the big crowds until the Souness revolution.

Strange to think Dundee and Rangers finished level on points just before Souness arrived.