Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Reconstruction With How Many Teams?

1 hour ago, Mr Sensible said:

That’s why the championship is a basket case financially, every season in it is a disaster.

Excellent point. Should the challenge be to find a way to make the season breakeven. I just wondered if we really put in an effort to re think our strategy might it be possible to build a profitable club by doing more with training and developing young players. There are clubs who don't have millionaires as owners and they seem to battle through each year.

• Star Post 1

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
50 minutes ago, Mr Sensible said:

I agree 

look after number 1 at all times.

Reconstruction was never happening.

I think Nelms was looking out for us  but he didn't understand that once he cast his vote everything changed. He/We were no longer a problem and as we have seen United, St J, and Ross County who most certainly did not want ICT promoted voted for the status quo. 

I am hopeful that this decision will come back to bite those three clubs in particular.

We can just focus on ourselves and be the best we can.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, BCram said:

I think Nelms was looking out for us  but he didn't understand that once he cast his vote everything changed. He/We were no longer a problem and as we have seen United, St J, and Ross County who most certainly did not want ICT promoted voted for the status quo. 

I am hopeful that this decision will come back to bite those three clubs in particular.

We can just focus on ourselves and be the best we can.

How in God's name could he possibly not understand that? You didn't have to be Columbo to realise that Nelms was holding no cards the minute he voted Yes.

• Like 1

I suppose it's possible that Nelms didn't really care about whether the vote passed or not and so he felt he didn't have anything to lose in getting the SPFL to agree to a reconstruction conversation without any actual commitment to making change happen.

Also we might still benefit as I can see a Celtic loan player arriving before the new season arrives.

3 hours ago, barkblue said:

It's interesting reading all the bile being aimed at the clubs who voted to veto reconstruction for selfish reasons.

I wonder what we would have voted had this epidemic happened two years ago....????? A lot of holier than thou me thinks. 

Its an uncomfortable but worthwhile question to ask. Historically clubs have been driven by self interest. At the end of the day, most of them are businesses so profit is their prime motivation. There will understandably be a different approach from owners to fans.

• Like 2

Hearts said their desperate and urgent push for reconstruction had nothing to do with their own predicament while Rangers insist their war on the SPFL has nothing to do with Celtic.

We know that's bollocks but it's quite possible they believe they are acting with integrity rather than self-interest. I suspect a lot of the decisions we've seen recently are a confused mix of self-interest and trying to do what's fair.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cobra said:

I suppose it's possible that Nelms didn't really care about whether the vote passed or not and so he felt he didn't have anything to lose in getting the SPFL to agree to a reconstruction conversation without any actual commitment to making change happen.

Also we might still benefit as I can see a Celtic loan player arriving before the new season arrives.

Sparky 🙏🏽

Edited by Aberdee
  • Funny 2

11 hours ago, barkblue said:

It's interesting reading all the bile being aimed at the clubs who voted to veto reconstruction for selfish reasons.

I wonder what we would have voted had this epidemic happened two years ago....????? A lot of holier than thou me thinks. 

I find it extremely hard to compare now with two years ago. The circumstances are totally different. Two years ago clubs were relegated, promoted and given their play off opportunities fairly.

edit to say- re reading your post I note you were saying if we had covid19 two years ago.

Still doesn’t change my view that as supporters we would’ve wanted 14/16 and based on JNs statements that the club would’ve voted for that too. So I don’t agree with the holier than though point......but if you’d said 4 years ago 😂

14 hours ago, Mr Sensible said:

Just had a look at difference in prize money

1.1 million for 12th spl

475 k for 2nd top in championship 

thats reason they didn’t want more teams in with there partly prize money

That is it all day long. Celtic get more for winning the Premier as all 10 Championship teams together. The premier gets 82% of the total pot split 12 ways, the other 30 teams get the remaining 18% split between them. Even if the Premier took 70% the gap would be huge but the difference down the leagues would be enormous. Doing away with the big drop between divisions making the drop per position more even right down the 42 teams would be fairer but fair is not in their vocabulary so none of this will ever happen under the current perverse/corrupt voting structure.

8 hours ago, Cobra said:

Hearts said their desperate and urgent push for reconstruction had nothing to do with their own predicament while Rangers insist their war on the SPFL has nothing to do with Celtic.

We know that's bollocks but it's quite possible they believe they are acting with integrity rather than self-interest. I suspect a lot of the decisions we've seen recently are a confused mix of self-interest and trying to do what's fair.

And that's the danger of allowing the premiership clubs to vote on the future of the league construction and split of money. What we needed was for the taskforce to have not just talks but real power to implement their agreed reconstruction. The chairman at these clubs couldn't care if supporters are sick of the 4 times a season fixture list, it's about money, as long as the old firm fill three ends of your ground twice a season and the threat of relegation is 1 in 12.

The selfishness is probably driven by fear, fear of being trapped in the Championship for years which backs up a lot of arguments on here about the championship finances being the real problem. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Valentke said:

I find it extremely hard to compare now with two years ago. The circumstances are totally different. Two years ago clubs were relegated, promoted and given their play off opportunities fairly.

edit to say- re reading your post I note you were saying if we had covid19 two years ago.

Still doesn’t change my view that as supporters we would’ve wanted 14/16 and based on JNs statements that the club would’ve voted for that too. So I don’t agree with the holier than though point......but if you’d said 4 years ago 😂

I mean as a club though, not as supporters. Folk are berating clubs in the top flight voting for what they think ensures them maximum income and highest league finishes for the foreseeable future. I think DFC would have done the same in the circumstances we found ourselves in 2 years ago as we teetered on the brink of relegation at the stage of the season that this one 'finished'.

Yes, there would have been a few of us on here saying (quite rightly) that we should be voting for the most entertaining league structure but most would have seen diluting prize money and the like to have been counterproductive for the club and expected us to vote against reconstruction - especially seeing as at that stage it would have guaranteed United stayed a league below us rather than bringing them up in second place etc.

Arguably it was easier for John Nelms to vote 'altruistically' than any other CEO. We have insurance against the current situation so we're allegedly in less trouble than some will be, we were 3rd and a long way behind 1st, so never going to get promoted automatically, and highly unlikely to get promoted through reconstruction, because a 16 top flight was never realistically on the table. Given all that, what was ever going to change for us? Hence Nelms can afford to 'look' like he's caring for everyone else because we never had anything to lose in the first place. Most CEOs/clubs didn't have that luxury.

To me, personally, he hasn't even managed to play that hand particularly well.

• Like 2

Adblock Detected