Jump to content
The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
Sign in to follow this  
TheDensRoadStairs

Reconstruction With How Many Teams?

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

We only need a top division for Euro places. There is no reason we can't have a temporary league below that of teams that can play. OK there would be no promotion but we could get our own TV deal and the prize money would increase as the teams not playing wouldn't get a share. Plus fans would flock back. 

We could have Hearts, us, Falkirk, Partick and really just 4 more teams would be enough for a league. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Irene Marot said:

We only need a top division for Euro places. There is no reason we can't have a temporary league below that of teams that can play. OK there would be no promotion but we could get our own TV deal and the prize money would increase as the teams not playing wouldn't get a share. Plus fans would flock back. 

We could have Hearts, us, Falkirk, Partick and really just 4 more teams would be enough for a league. 

I'm really not convinced that a competition with no prize would be attractive to many fans - a whole season of dead rubbers just doesn't seem attractive. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HK Blues said:

I'm really not convinced that a competition with no prize would be attractive to many fans - a whole season of dead rubbers just doesn't seem attractive. 

A league with no promotion or relegation is a desert. It's not for me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HK Blues said:

I'm really not convinced that a competition with no prize would be attractive to many fans - a whole season of dead rubbers just doesn't seem attractive. 

100% this, the current set up is unattractive enough.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question?What appetite is there for Pay per View /Closed Door matches.I would happily do this for Dee matches and would pay for a 'season ticket but suspect it may be a minority who are like that.So the 'Take' from a match might be paltry-Say £20000 at 2000X £10 each.No hospo,possibly a bit of match advertising ,limited sponsorship.

On the other side of the ledger is no police or stewards

may have to share PPV receipts with away teams.If so we would get the same though mainly from Dees not home fans 

Match day costs for groundsmen,pitch maintenance,ambulance people ,ref and linos,cleaners,laundry and in winter under soil heating,floodlights on top of usual electricity costs and there will be other things I havent thought of.Would £5000 be a fair guesstimate.

Then there is the cost ot Covid Testing where I have seen differing costs quoted from low thousands to £10,000 but say £ 5000 

Players wages travelling costs and medical treatments ,insurance ,all have to come out of the rest.But £10,000 wont look at it .

Short of signing a team of juniors (possible for some) it requires either a further major investment by owners or can income be increased.I do not detect a huge appetite for fans to make Standing Order donations,although there would be some-more if they got some recognition;Advertising /player sponsorship comes to mind and our record on this is not great.But could be worked at imaginatively.Even possible to do Online HT draw/Golden Goal to add interest .And stagger matches so other club fans can do PPV for instance to see how Craig Wighton and Bobby Linn are doing at Arbroath.but realistically that is limited.

I might be well off the mark in these figures but it would be good if others can comment on how they see it

The bottom line to me is that without well supported teams in the Championship to boost the PPV Dundee will struggle which is a huge argument that we should be admitted to Top League where PPVs would be much more for most.

The other conclusion which I come to is that the OF will be the worst affected.Their loss of gate receipts will be tens of millions .And doubt how much would be replaced by PPV.Its just not the same watching closed door football and the 'high flyers 'have furthest to fall.Its going to be the 'real'fans which other Clubs have but OF have proportionately less of who will do PPV.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, dfcman said:

Question?What appetite is there for Pay per View /Closed Door matches.I would happily do this for Dee matches and would pay for a 'season ticket but suspect it may be a minority who are like that.So the 'Take' from a match might be paltry-Say £20000 at 2000X £10 each.No hospo,possibly a bit of match advertising ,limited sponsorship.

On the other side of the ledger is no police or stewards

may have to share PPV receipts with away teams.If so we would get the same though mainly from Dees not home fans 

Match day costs for groundsmen,pitch maintenance,ambulance people ,ref and linos,cleaners,laundry and in winter under soil heating,floodlights on top of usual electricity costs and there will be other things I havent thought of.Would £5000 be a fair guesstimate.

Then there is the cost ot Covid Testing where I have seen differing costs quoted from low thousands to £10,000 but say £ 5000 

Players wages travelling costs and medical treatments ,insurance ,all have to come out of the rest.But £10,000 wont look at it .

Short of signing a team of juniors (possible for some) it requires either a further major investment by owners or can income be increased.I do not detect a huge appetite for fans to make Standing Order donations,although there would be some-more if they got some recognition;Advertising /player sponsorship comes to mind and our record on this is not great.But could be worked at imaginatively.Even possible to do Online HT draw/Golden Goal to add interest .And stagger matches so other club fans can do PPV for instance to see how Craig Wighton and Bobby Linn are doing at Arbroath.but realistically that is limited.

I might be well off the mark in these figures but it would be good if others can comment on how they see it

The bottom line to me is that without well supported teams in the Championship to boost the PPV Dundee will struggle which is a huge argument that we should be admitted to Top League where PPVs would be much more for most.

The other conclusion which I come to is that the OF will be the worst affected.Their loss of gate receipts will be tens of millions .And doubt how much would be replaced by PPV.Its just not the same watching closed door football and the 'high flyers 'have furthest to fall.Its going to be the 'real'fans which other Clubs have but OF have proportionately less of who will do PPV.

 

 

Where do Sky/BT/BBC Scotland channel fit in with this mate, not sure how long the contracts have to run but as they've been a large (I know, I know) provider of cash to the leagues for a number of years and no doubt will in the future. Are they to step aside ? Would they bother coming back ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

Where do Sky/BT/BBC Scotland channel fit in with this mate, not sure how long the contracts have to run but as they've been a large (I know, I know) provider of cash to the leagues for a number of years and no doubt will in the future. Are they to step aside ? Would they bother coming back ?

Could the tv companies not provide the PPV platform? I would be happy for DFC to keep my season ticket money for 20/21 for a PPV subscription 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

Where do Sky/BT/BBC Scotland channel fit in with this mate, not sure how long the contracts have to run but as they've been a large (I know, I know) provider of cash to the leagues for a number of years and no doubt will in the future. Are they to step aside ? Would they bother coming back ?

Fair point but lets say we are in Champ.with or without Hearts.How much appetite is there for PPV.I suspect not enough .Football TV coverage is largely about the spectacle/fan atmosphere.So if there are no fans who will watch.Did anybody enjoy the German matches recently broadcast.And would they watch again.Broadcasters are savvy to the advertising revenue so how will they view the prospect of paying top dollar for OF matches with no crowd .To me its sterile football with no crowd even if its a second division match with a few hundred is better than a top division match with no crowd.

As I say at the beginning its a Question so here is another one-Might TV companies insist that OF matches all 4 of them are played towards the end of the season by which time crowds might be back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, dfcman said:

 

As I say at the beginning its a Question so here is another one-Might TV companies insist that OF matches all 4 of them are played towards the end of the season by which time crowds might be back.

Saw this rumour posted on another club's messageboard. Could be more than just rumour though.😯

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dfcman said:

Fair point but lets say we are in Champ.with or without Hearts.How much appetite is there for PPV.I suspect not enough .Football TV coverage is largely about the spectacle/fan atmosphere.So if there are no fans who will watch.Did anybody enjoy the German matches recently broadcast.And would they watch again.Broadcasters are savvy to the advertising revenue so how will they view the prospect of paying top dollar for OF matches with no crowd .To me its sterile football with no crowd even if its a second division match with a few hundred is better than a top division match with no crowd.

As I say at the beginning its a Question so here is another one-Might TV companies insist that OF matches all 4 of them are played towards the end of the season by which time crowds might be back.

Dunno mate and if the broadcasters are happy to step back then it might be possible. There might be a concern that if the link is broken though. As a fat dum and happy fan, its not going to make that much difference to me, the clubs might have the fear though. 

Not trying to put obstacles in the way, its just that there's a general assumption that those running clubs are idiots, while I'm not saying they get it all right, they maybe get it more right for them than we realise. There's still a lot of 'oohs and ahs' in this still to play out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dfcman said:

Fair point but lets say we are in Champ.with or without Hearts.How much appetite is there for PPV.I suspect not enough .Football TV coverage is largely about the spectacle/fan atmosphere.So if there are no fans who will watch.Did anybody enjoy the German matches recently broadcast.And would they watch again.Broadcasters are savvy to the advertising revenue so how will they view the prospect of paying top dollar for OF matches with no crowd .To me its sterile football with no crowd even if its a second division match with a few hundred is better than a top division match with no crowd.

As I say at the beginning its a Question so here is another one-Might TV companies insist that OF matches all 4 of them are played towards the end of the season by which time crowds might be back.

The German football on TV has been quite dull but the difference watching your own team on tv is that you are passionately supporting them. Our Friday night tv games from last season had next to no atmosphere at times but still worth the watch (score depending of course!) 

Personally I would pay to watch my team on TV. As a guess I would think at least half our core support (so 2000 maybe) would watch our games too. If its a temporary thing then probably a lot more than that. Add in a significant increase on “away” fans watching and expat dees I think you have the numbers to make it feasible - for a while at least. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.