The Dark Blues

Fifty Years Ago

Rate this topic

Dundee finished sixth in 1969/70 and lost 2-1 to Celtic in the semis of the Scottish Cup.

The table had an interesting look to it at the end of the season with the Glasgow clubs, Edinburgh clubs and Dundee clubs making up the top six. 

Celtic  57
Rangers 45
Hibs 44
Hearts 38
United 38
Dundee 36

Our new signing from Raith. Gordon Wallace, made quite an impact. He finished top scorer with 23 goals.

We had an unusual kit back then with the rings around the collar.

Anyone remember much about that time as a Dee?

Dundee 1970 | Beyond The Last Man

The League Magazine on Twitter: "Gordon Wallace of Dundee… "

Gordon Wallace, Dundee 1973 | Beyond The Last Man

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A fine team and a match for everyone Jocky beginning to make his mark and well partnered by Wallace, John Duncan coming through, Jim Steele taking no prisoners, Alex Bryce in midfield I wished he had

If you can remember the sixties, you weren't there man.🤪

Are you sure WoodStein? I may be wrong but I had considered your title to be a corruption of Woodstock. 1969. Were you there? If you can't remember, that's good enough for me.😄

A fine team and a match for everyone Jocky beginning to make his mark and well partnered by Wallace, John Duncan coming through, Jim Steele taking no prisoners, Alex Bryce in midfield I wished he had bossed more, Alex Kinninmouth an unsung team player, but bridesmaids as was then

• Like 1
  • Love 1

When you have Mike Hewitt and Ally Donaldson in the same squad you realise how strong it was.George Stewart in my opinion was the best centre half we had for many years until Jim Duffy came along.4 or 5 of that squad would walk into the present Scottish team

• Funny 1
35 minutes ago, Barfly said:

Nah, that was the 70's, man  :rolleyes:

35 minutes ago, WoodStein said:

Nah, that was the 70's, man  :rolleyes:

Are you sure WoodStein? I may be wrong but I had considered your title to be a corruption of Woodstock. 1969. Were you there? If you can't remember, that's good enough for me.😄

• Funny 1
3 hours ago, Barfly said:

I'd have been there if I could, but too young, and too skint. But there are some Caird Hall gigs from 1969 that I have no recollection of....but that was just the 🍻

The username came from another epic US event, also beginning with W, but nowhere near as interesting as Woodstock 🎸, man.  

It's either Wacky Races or Watergate. Hmm, which one could it be?🤔

• Funny 1
13 hours ago, Barfly said:

It's either Wacky Races or Watergate. Hmm, which one could it be?🤔

You could say it belonged to a 'split personality'.....but given your 'favourite Dee' choices, I'm sure you would have recognised it long ago 😄 

[I guess this has strayed far enough off-topic to anticipate a mod's 'knuckle-rap' any moment :o