Anyone doing anything to celebrate ?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm probably equally as miserable, certainly a lot older, and similarly 'git-ish' as Chomp. While I fully appreciate why those who lived through WW2 needed to celebrate its end (or part of its en

Can't say we will mate, each to their own but I'e just been watching some folk dressing up for a social distancing street party on the news and thought "what a bunch of twats". I wonder what we'll get

Which one is the starter and which is the dessert bud? That's a lot of calories for one person in one sitting.😀

1 hour ago, DeeMo said:

Happy VE day.

Can't say we will mate, each to their own but I'e just been watching some folk dressing up for a social distancing street party on the news and thought "what a bunch of twats". I wonder what we'll get come VJ day, that's the biggy.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

Usual Friday night for me, pizza/kebab/curry and a few beers. Like Chomp, I find the whole street party thing a bit of a minter. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, an-dee said:

Usual Friday night for me, pizza/kebab/curry and a few beers. Like Chomp, I find the whole street party thing a bit of a minter. 

Which one is the starter and which is the dessert bud?

That's a lot of calories for one person in one sitting.😀

• Funny 4
2 hours ago, chomp my root said:

Can't say we will mate, each to their own but I'e just been watching some folk dressing up for a social distancing street party on the news and thought "what a bunch of twats". I wonder what we'll get come VJ day, that's the biggy.

Its not my cup of tea these days either and I'm sure we all know what we'll get on VJ day.  I remember watching some 50th anniversary celebration on the Embankment in London and feeling the same way.  I suppose we should be thankful the media have something to try and take our minds off the virus but as usual they can't help going over the top in trying to find a different angle, wall to wall coverage and outdoing each other.  Not against the commemorative side of things by any means and I've been known to get a bit weepy watching the festival of remembrance but not this stuff.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Attilio said:

Its not my cup of tea these days either and I'm sure we all know what we'll get on VJ day.  I remember watching some 50th anniversary celebration on the Embankment in London and feeling the same way.  I suppose we should be thankful the media have something to try and take our minds off the virus but as usual they can't help going over the top in trying to find a different angle, wall to wall coverage and outdoing each other.  Not against the commemorative side of things by any means and I've been known to get a bit weepy watching the festival of remembrance but not this stuff.

I've been pretty fed up with the media, lots of 'human interest' stories, call me a self absorbed prick but I really don't care about Senga fae Bradford and how sad she feels about it or alternatively how she's found an amusing way to do her exercise. There must be some stuff happening in the world somewhere. Aye, VE day is a bit of distraction and would have got a lot of coverage but it would have been another 'human interest' fest. I say that as a war geek. 

Basically I'm a miserable old git....

• Like 2
9 hours ago, DeeMo said:

Happy VE day.

I'm not doing anything to celebrate but I have watched quite a lot of the shows where people share their memories of the war and the victory.

I have a general interest in WWII history so tend to take part in that side of thing anyway. 

• Like 1

I'm probably equally as miserable, certainly a lot older, and similarly 'git-ish' as Chomp.

While I fully appreciate why those who lived through WW2 needed to celebrate its end (or part of its end), it's always puzzled me that we deal with WW1's end with humility, respect, and quiet reflection.....but not WW2. Doesn't sit right with me (& I guess I also share Chomp's "bunch of wallies" view of 'street parties'), not a day for that, to me.

On this day 75 years ago, my Dad was sitting in a sweltering, stinking, rat/insect infested jungle somewhere in Burma, thinking "wtf....does no-one know we're not 'free' over here?". He, like his mates there, and those in Europe, came home to find himself a decade older, with his world changed....half his pals gone, his pre-war girlfriends married, and Baxter Brothers making him redundant (I still have the letter), because they'd found they could pay women less to work the mills. 

Those generations gave a lot to make the subsequent world a better place, but (in my view) more recent generations are letting them down & turning it back towards confrontation again.

No, VE day is a not a celebratory occasion for me....I'll think about VJ day a little more, but for me, the lone piper or Charlie's silent tribute outside Balmoral seem more consistent with the way most Scots tend to reflect on the wars we've been involved in. 

• Like 6
9 hours ago, WoodStein said:

I'm probably equally as miserable, certainly a lot older, and similarly 'git-ish' as Chomp.

While I fully appreciate why those who lived through WW2 needed to celebrate its end (or part of its end), it's always puzzled me that we deal with WW1's end with humility, respect, and quiet reflection.....but not WW2. Doesn't sit right with me (& I guess I also share Chomp's "bunch of wallies" view of 'street parties'), not a day for that, to me.

On this day 75 years ago, my Dad was sitting in a sweltering, stinking, rat/insect infested jungle somewhere in Burma, thinking "wtf....does no-one know we're not 'free' over here?". He, like his mates there, and those in Europe, came home to find himself a decade older, with his world changed....half his pals gone, his pre-war girlfriends married, and Baxter Brothers making him redundant (I still have the letter), because they'd found they could pay women less to work the mills. 

Those generations gave a lot to make the subsequent world a better place, but (in my view) more recent generations are letting them down & turning it back towards confrontation again.

No, VE day is a not a celebratory occasion for me....I'll think about VJ day a little more, but for me, the lone piper or Charlie's silent tribute outside Balmoral seem more consistent with the way most Scots tend to reflect on the wars we've been involved in. 

My Grandad volunteered at 28 and in a reserved occupation but having heard my granny talk I don't blame him at all. My other Grandad fought in the 'war to end all wars' and lied about his age to marry my granny the dirty old git. #lad.

• Funny 2

Had bunting on our washing line and a flag on our dining room window. 

The best thing for me was speaking to my dad on the phone when he openely talked and told me things for the first time about living through the war as a young lad in London. I found out that he got shipped out to Norfolk and stayed with a foster family that were not good to him. Tears in my eye stuff when he told me one xmas the foster families two kids got loads of presents and my dad got a pair of hand me down black plimsoles. 

He lost both his parents in the war and also his brother who was fostered elsewhere. 

War is awful and we have to pay so much gratitude to the men and women that gave us our freedom.

• Like 1
  • Star Post 2