The Dark Blues

Rate this topic

I see the Tully and Facebook pages are getting all nostalgic about the 2 years they spent at the club... I'm I in the minority who thinks that period in our history was an unmitigated disaster.. And has lead to 20 years of dross on the park 

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, charliedee said:

I see the Tully and Facebook pages are getting all nostalgic about the 2 years they spent at the club... I'm I in the minority who thinks that period in our history was an unmitigated disaster.. And has lead to 20 years of dross on the park 

I'm with you here, while it was wonderful to watch on the park, we the fans should have seen what was about to happen but we turned a blind eye to everything which was going on off the park. We should have known that the model we were working on wasn't sustainable in the long term. What the Marr Brothers were trying to do was right, it's just a shame they never done it before a certain player decided he had enough being held to ransom by his club.

We had some amazing players playing for us, it is just a shame they were mismanaged and that team never went on to actually win anything substantial.

I agree with you. I would wish we had done things differently, as those couple of years were too high a price to pay for what came after.

• Like 3

Think the plan failed as the Bosman came in when players could move for nothing .

Unlike before when clubs had the power .ie 4 million for Duncan Ferguson.

• Like 1

Yes and no Charlie, with hindsight most of us would pass on the debt mountain that occurred...but memories of some great performances and getting it up the DABs a good few times ranks up there with some of my happiest times following the D no matter how deluded it was 😀

• Like 1

I think Peter Marr pulled out of a merger at the last minute in 1999 so it's conceivable the decision to embark on the Bonetti project, which generated an enormous buzz around the club, saved us from extinction.

Maybe somebody has a clearer idea about what happened back then but I don't think you can categorically say the Bonetti years were a disaster for DFC.

That period certainly gave us some great memories and added a colourful chapter in our history even if the results often didn't match the quality of the players.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Cobra said:

I think Peter Marr pulled out of a merger at the last minute in 1999 so it's conceivable the decision to embark on the Bonetti project, which generated an enormous buzz around the club, saved us from extinction.

Maybe somebody has a clearer idea about what happened back then but I don't think you can categorically say the Bonetti years were a disaster for DFC.

That period certainly gave us some great memories and added a colourful chapter in our history even if the results often didn't match the quality of the players.

We nearly never had a club not long after of course it was a disaster!

Its not all their fault entirely though we were terribly mis managed. 

I wonder if we went through with the sale of the club/merger before this period how many dees would be supportive of the city club nowadays?certainly not me!

17 minutes ago, bigrab said:

We nearly never had a club not long after of course it was a disaster!

In 1998/99 we were haemorrhaging cash and fans weren't turning up to watch Jocky's team. 

Because of that Peter Marr felt there was no future for DFC so agreed to a merger.

He then pulled out of the merger and decided to borrow heavily to acquire top class players to sell on for a hefty profit while giving Dees something to get excited about.

If the choice was between merging with Dundee United and embarking on the Bonetti journey, there is only one of those that I'd call a proper disaster.

Many many factors that got us into dire financial trouble like many clubs at the time the banks were loaning enormous amounts to football clubs which was extremely careless, owners unrealistically thought they could borrow millions to be paid off later with multi million pound transfers. The Bosman ruling and the collapse of TV revenue coupled with an endless list of signings with very little transfers was the nail in the Marrs experiment. 

If we'd limited the squad size and not let Bonetti run amok it may have paid off but in true DFC fashion we fecked it up royally 😢

I often think what would have happened if Cabellero wasn't split in two by those DABs in the Jaun Two Three derby...all what ifs though.

Best era following the Dee... more say for the fantastic away days as we had a cracking away support back then with brilliant different songs we had for players unlike today where we only have HULLO 

Caballero / Nemsadze / Speroni / Beto / CC33 etc 

Ivanooo n Darioooo = fond memories for me , Marrs didn't control the situation , its not the managers fault for spending money that he was given , every manager in the world would spend what is afforded them. 

10 minutes ago, CC33 said:

Best era following the Dee... more say for the fantastic away days as we had a cracking away support back then with brilliant different songs we had for players unlike today where we only have HULLO 

Caballero / Nemsadze / Speroni / Beto / CC33 etc 

Ivanooo n Darioooo = fond memories for me , Marrs didn't control the situation , its not the managers fault for spending money that he was given , every manager in the world would spend what is afforded them. 

When we got promoted, if people remember, every barrier was placed in our way. Deadlines for ground improvement etc. This shows that what we see happening in Scottish football today is nothing new. The Bonetti years hurt the club a lot, but would we have changed them, not on your life. The football was enthralling, exciting, and well worth the admission fee at times, but not all the time. What bothers me about these years is that we won nothing when we should at least have won a cup if not the league. One other thing that led to administration was that we were never out of court, with ex-players complaining about Ivano. Our legal fees must have been huge.

48 minutes ago, Iain T Campbell said:

When we got promoted, if people remember, every barrier was placed in our way. Deadlines for ground improvement etc. This shows that what we see happening in Scottish football today is nothing new. The Bonetti years hurt the club a lot, but would we have changed them, not on your life. The football was enthralling, exciting, and well worth the admission fee at times, but not all the time. What bothers me about these years is that we won nothing when we should at least have won a cup if not the league. One other thing that led to administration was that we were never out of court, with ex-players complaining about Ivano. Our legal fees must have been huge.

I don't think being level headed head that we should have won a cup or esp the league - given that other teams were filled with top players , I mean look at the calibre of players at either old firm side , they had players in there team that went onto Milan / Barca etc .

Had we had that Ivano side in this day n age - given the standard off Scottish fitbaw then aye a would agree but back then Scotland was at its peak in terms of top quality players , we only had a handful imo

Edited by CC33

17 hours ago, Sinkie said:

Think the plan failed as the Bosman came in when players could move for nothing .

Unlike before when clubs had the power .ie 4 million for Duncan Ferguson.

Bosman was on the picture well before our transfer strategy was enacted.

In all honesty, the huge losses being run were never going to be covered and that's not something that's easy with hindsight. We were being run by idiots (giving them the benefit of the doubt with the least sinister interpretation) and so were a few teams in Scottish Football who seemed fairly happy to take high interest debt.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, WeighorstsWang said:

It hasn't led to 20 years of dross on the park after it. Unless you can explain why there was 30 years of dross on it beforehand?

I hear this but Dundee have historically been a club who have just got caught in cycles of sh**e.

Once a football team are poorly run for a few years, it often scales for decades of poor management. We exited admin 1 in a dreadful state and fell into the second tier when it was much more damaging than it was now. Suddenly a snake oil salesman like Melville, with a saviour complex, becomes very appealing because he can stem our short-term cash flow and before we know it, we're running the club to his tune on a monthly basis (without really assessing where the money is coming from) and then in panic stations shortly after when he's got no cash left and then lose our stadium.

From losing the ownership of our stadium, we've then added another bad number to the accounts that is fairly significant and are then paying a lot to maintain an old facility that is in need of quite big sums of money to get moving the right way. Things are looking decent right now with owners who have poured in millions in and have at least sought avenues to sort that infrastructure problem but it's going to take many years before that is done and even then, the balance sheet is still lacking assets meaning we're very reliant on them. The moment they pull out, there's no one to step in.

The big spending period was horrifically destructive long-term, much much more so than admin 2 IMO.

• Like 2

Difficult One!!!! Some amazing performances and players but some absolute stinkers of results!!! I recently found VHS tapes of our games and watched us rip apart teams yet get beaten or draw!!!.

I recall out outplaying and Outclassing Celtic at Dens and still get beat!!(The radio phone in later had numerous calls about how good Dundee Were...but we still lost!!!)

I look back on it as a great experience (Only Seasons I sat in The Coxy) but overall and in all honestly not my favourite era of following the club.

The era before with Jocky Scott and The Marrs was a better time for me as was the mid to late 80s as an active supporter going to the games.