Jump to content
The Dark Blues

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Just came across this footage of the Dee v Arbroath in the Scottish Cup quarter-finals in 1977. What a fantastic young player we had there. Such a shame we couldn't hang on to him for a few more years.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Just came across this footage of the Dee v Arbroath in the Scottish Cup quarter-finals in 1977. What a fantastic young player we had there. Such a shame we couldn't hang on to him for a few more years.

 

It is a shame...Sigh! 😢

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Me too. Played well in the semi v Celtic, prob best semi I saw them play against them, and I saw a few in the 70s! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, blueboy said:

Me too. Played well in the semi v Celtic, prob best semi I saw them play against them, and I saw a few in the 70s! 

Me too. I remember a Wednesday night game when big McNeil kicked John Duncan from a**ehole to breakfast time. Needless to say the ref gave us nothing. 
Now that I think about it it might have been McNeill who scored the winner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dandy McLean said:

Me too. I remember a Wednesday night game when big McNeil kicked John Duncan from a**ehole to breakfast time. Needless to say the ref gave us nothing. 
Now that I think about it it might have been McNeill who scored the winner.

Was that the same game Peter Latchford gathered a ball on the ground with his hands about a yard outside his box and dragged it back in? Needless to say neither the referee nor the linesman, who was about fifteen feet away, saw anything untoward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Prince Buster said:

Was that the same game Peter Latchford gathered a ball on the ground with his hands about a yard outside his box and dragged it back in? Needless to say neither the referee nor the linesman, who was about fifteen feet away, saw anything untoward.

I can’t remember to be honest PB,  but it wouldn’t surprise me. As I I say we got absolutely feck all that night from the ref. it seemed more biased than usual that night and that’s saying something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Dandy McLean said:

Me too. I remember a Wednesday night game when big McNeil kicked John Duncan from a**ehole to breakfast time. Needless to say the ref gave us nothing. 
Now that I think about it it might have been McNeill who scored the winner.

Think that was the 73/74 semi, Celtic winning1-0. Jimmy Johnstone scored the goal I seem to remember. You're right about McNeill's treatment of John Duncan though. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Strachan was a fabulous player. He went on to prove that at Aberdeen and down south, especially at Leeds. When he was played you could sense the buzz amongst the fans. In the book "Up wi' the Bonnets" it is mentioned that he used to try to beat one man too many, but who cared, that was what you paid your money for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another wee clip I found. This is Dundee coming from behind to beat Ayr in 1973. There was a crowd of 5,000 there that day, so not all that dissimilar to these days.

It's quite interesting seeing Dens at the start of colour telly and hearing the songs that were sung in the Derry back then.

Jocky looks a fine finisher in this video and Houston hits an absolute rocket for the winner.

We finished fifth that season, level on points with 4th placed Aberdeen. The Honest Men were fifth. Our home record was W13 D4 L0!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cobra said:

Another wee clip I found. This is Dundee coming from behind to beat Ayr in 1973. There was a crowd of 5,000 there that day, so not all that dissimilar to these days.

It's quite interesting seeing Dens at the start of colour telly and hearing the songs that were sung in the Derry back then.

Jocky looks a fine finisher in this video and Houston hits an absolute rocket for the winner.

We finished fifth that season, level on points with 4th placed Aberdeen. The Honest Men were fifth. Our home record was W13 D4 L0!

After Dundee's second goal to put them in the lead there were a few pats on the back, some congratulations and everybody back to get on with it - no extravagant and over the top celebrations not a slide or piley on in sight. Game was restarted within 30 seconds - these days it's anything from (I reckon) 2 to 4 minutes to get a game restarted in that situation.

Also note the Ayr physio after their goal with the magic sponge. Better than all the theory they apply these days, could cure most knocks and strains instantly 😂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had that strip at the time too. That stripe down the inside was considered trendy and innovative and, I might be wrong, was it not Ayr that used it the season before and we picked it up that season? I was ten and think I outgrew it after three months. Thankfully we've never revisited that design.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Prince Buster said:

After Dundee's second goal to put them in the lead there were a few pats on the back, some congratulations and everybody back to get on with it - no extravagant and over the top celebrations not a slide or piley on in sight. Game was restarted within 30 seconds - these days it's anything from (I reckon) 2 to 4 minutes to get a game restarted in that situation.

Also note the Ayr physio after their goal with the magic sponge. Better than all the theory they apply these days, could cure most knocks and strains instantly 😂

How come Dees are celebrating in the away end when we scored? Were folk free to walk from the South Enclosure behind the goal if there were no away fans back then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Cobra said:

How come Dees are celebrating in the away end when we scored? Were folk free to walk from the South Enclosure behind the goal if there were no away fans back then?

We were free to walk all the way round the ground - Provie, TCK and SE whether there were away fans or not mate. The cheers when Ayr scored will probably have come from the SE. No trouble in the grounds back then except when the original Rangers visited.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, Cobra. Even when there were away fans there would be the half-time swaparound where fans would head to the other end. Days before segregation of course.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.