Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

The 70s

Cobra

4 hours ago, PolarBear said:

Came back from a cup game in Perth, midweek about 1978. This train made a cattle truck look palatial, some of those Specials were belters. Must have taken an hour to get home, some mugs kept pulling the chain and stopping the train.

The trains were always (very) old rolling stock and probably considered unsuitable for normal passengers. People used to pull the chain at various points along Riverside to make their walk home shorter. 

Great days following a good team.

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
On 22/05/2020 at 09:59, jojo gunn said:

Brings back memories watching I was there and all others v Celtic at that time they were a strong team then its just we didn't get the luck with the cup draws or would have been in more finals, I was at most home and away (dee club bus) in early 70s and we were a fine team, just needed that little bit of luck to get more silverware than in 73

My memory of the detail of the game not too clear, but interesting to see that Jocky 

was further back in more of a midfield role.

The luck was in signing a certain Mr Gemmell, who came to Dens as a proven trophy winner, who wasn’t in the mood to stop just because he’d left Celtic.

• Like 1

• Dundee Gangs
  • Standing at Football and no segregation 
  • Unemployment 
  • Power Cuts 
  • Strikes 
  • 3 day working week
  • Skint
  • Garbage piling up in the Streets
  • Great era for music, bands and concerts 

And for the most part, we had a great team playing superb football in Scotland and in Europe. And particularly in the cups, followed by huge travelling supports 👍💪

Edited by Dondeh
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Dondeh said:
  • Dundee Gangs
  • Standing at Football and no segregation 
  • Unemployment 
  • Power Cuts 
  • Strikes 
  • 3 day working week
  • Skint
  • Garbage piling up in the Streets
  • Great era for music, bands and concerts 

And for the most part, we had a great team playing superb football in Scotland and in Europe. And particularly in the cups, followed by huge travelling supports 👍💪

Not forgetting the constant rattle of the door bell at 5pm on Fridays where your old man had to fork out to the Rent Man, InsuranceBoy, Littlewoods Pools, Milk Boy, Lemonade Lorry, McGills dues, Providential, and Others, mental all cash too, stayed out his way then

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

17 minutes ago, jojo gunn said:

Not forgetting the constant rattle of the door bell at 5pm on Fridays where your old man had to fork out to the Rent Man, InsuranceBoy, Littlewoods Pools, Milk Boy, Lemonade Lorry, McGills dues, Providential, and Others, mental all cash too, stayed out his way then

Jeez, that takes me back. Only it was left to my old lady to answer the door. My old man was off to his second job as a barman in Jim Brownlie’s  pub in Lochee. And that was after a weeks graft humping bales of jute about as a lorry driver with Jute Industries. Man they could graft back then

• Like 2

18 hours ago, jojo gunn said:

Our rent man rang the bell and just walked in. Every week without fail, until we got fed up and locked the door.

I was on a milk lorry for about 2 years. Only got jumped* twice when collecting the milk money in the Hilltown. 

*means getting the money stolen and head panned in. 

Edited by Dondeh
  • Sad 1
  • Wowzer 1

26 minutes ago, Dondeh said:

Our rent man rang the bell and just walked in. Every week without fail, until we got fed up and locked the door.

I was on a milk lorry for about 2 years. Only got jumped* twice when collecting the milk money in the Hilltown. 

*means getting the money stolen and head panned in. 

Sorry to hear it mate, was it an anniversary thing, same time each year ?

• Funny 2

9 minutes ago, Dondeh said:

Nah. Just part of the job then. Fought off more than I got done.

Yep, going round the doors collecting  either the milk money or cash for the Tele deliverys was a dodgy carry on in the housing schemes , usually collected on a Friday evening or Sat mornings  when it was safer !!!!.  When you think back the Rent man and all the other collectors doing the rounds back then  just got on with it as part of the job.  Imagine going round the streets these days collecting the rent money......although back in the day it was dodgy as well.

20 hours ago, jojo gunn said:

We had all them apart from the Provident , oor Mc Gills man used to chap the door on a Sat morning, always had a pocketfull of Spangles sweeties. 😮

My favourite action photo of DFC. I can’t remember the game, but a night game,  Thomson Allan in full leap, the old stand and enclosure looking great and packed. A beautiful pic. God knows where the rest of the players are though. 😁866DF060-E4B2-41E0-9002-E9F8BF2B3DA4.jpeg.80d532b84233af8438b515fb94c1977c.jpeg

Edited by Dandy McLean
Punctuation
  • Like 2

Adblock Detected