The Dark Blues
Sign in to follow this  
WoodStein

Old Scotland Wc Games On Bbc Scotland

Rate this topic

I see BBC Scotland are going to show a series of 'in full' matches from world cup finals, starting this Sunday.

Younger viewers might be surprised how good (some of) those Scotland teams were, yet still managed to fail to get through the group stage to the knockout rounds.....none more self-inflicted than the 1982 game with USSR in Spain, we'd done everything right, but needed a win to go through as USSR had a better goal diff. Evenly balanced at 1-1, then Alan Hansen makes an erse of a simple header out on the touchline, Willie Miller is sweeping up & about to boot it clear, when Hansen charges into him....leaving a Russian winger with a clear run in on goal.  :slaphead: 

English pundits (incredibly) blamed Miller, but we all knew it was Hansen's Howler. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52653877

Six memorable World Cup matches will be shown in full across BBC Scotland over the remainder of May.

The Fifa World Cup Rewind series starts on Sunday, with the 1974 meeting with Brazil. That's on BBC Scotland and the BBC Sport website from 19:15 BST.

Next weekend will be the 1978 game with Netherlands, 1982 tie with USSR, and 1986 match with West Germany.

Games against Sweden in 1990 and Brazil in 1998 will follow at the end of the month.

40 minutes ago, WoodStein said:

I see BBC Scotland are going to show a series of 'in full' matches from world cup finals, starting this Sunday.

Younger viewers might be surprised how good (some of) those Scotland teams were, yet still managed to fail to get through the group stage to the knockout rounds.....none more self-inflicted than the 1982 game with USSR in Spain, we'd done everything right, but needed a win to go through as USSR had a better goal diff. Evenly balanced at 1-1, then Alan Hansen makes an erse of a simple header out on the touchline, Willie Miller is sweeping up & about to boot it clear, when Hansen charges into him....leaving a Russian winger with a clear run in on goal.  :slaphead: 

English pundits (incredibly) blamed Miller, but we all knew it was Hansen's Howler. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52653877

Six memorable World Cup matches will be shown in full across BBC Scotland over the remainder of May.

The Fifa World Cup Rewind series starts on Sunday, with the 1974 meeting with Brazil. That's on BBC Scotland and the BBC Sport website from 19:15 BST.

Next weekend will be the 1978 game with Netherlands, 1982 tie with USSR, and 1986 match with West Germany.

Games against Sweden in 1990 and Brazil in 1998 will follow at the end of the month.

Good and Scotland never seem to be words I would use to together! 🤣

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, TheDarkBlues said:

Good and Scotland never seem to be words I would use to together! 🤣

You're clearly too young, John  😄  

The 74, 78, 82 & 86 teams were all very good, and great to watch....though still contrived to throw away our chances of getting out of those group stages, with some moments of self-destructive madness.

Now we just don't get out of the qualifiers...!!!

16 minutes ago, WoodStein said:

You're clearly too young, John  😄  

The 74, 78, 82 & 86 teams were all very good, and great to watch....though still contrived to throw away our chances of getting out of those group stages, with some moments of self-destructive madness.

Now we just don't get out of the qualifiers...!!!

Oh I am old enough to have watched all those Scottish teams (apart from the 1974 one). I remember watching the 78 world cup with my old man, the game against Holland will always live with me in a bitter sweet way. The first two games where we bottled it and the game against Holland where we ripped them a new one. Archie Gemmill's goal was a thing of beauty, the way that he beat players left and right and scored... what a peach!

Let's face it, that Scottish cup squad was probably the best I have ever seen, but as in true Scottish style, we bottled it right at the start and saved the best for last when it didn't matter!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TheDarkBlues said:

Oh I am old enough to have watched all those Scottish teams (apart from the 1974 one). I remember watching the 78 world cup with my old man, the game against Holland will always live with me in a bitter sweet way. The first two games where we bottled it and the game against Holland where we ripped them a new one. Archie Gemmill's goal was a thing of beauty, the way that he beat players left and right and scored... what a peach!

Let's face it, that Scottish cup squad was probably the best I have ever seen, but as in true Scottish style, we bottled it right at the start and saved the best for last when it didn't matter!

I was 10 and living in New Zealand in '78, wasn't sure if I was an Aussie (by birth), a Kiwi (having lived most my life there) or a Jock (parents) but was able to get to watch games, I managed to wake myself up to watch the final at 5AM or the like. I do remember feeling 'proud' at that Archie Gemmill goal. 

Scotland must have had a stronger team in 74, 78 and 82 than the Croatia side that reached the World Cup final in 2018. It's quite incredible that we never got out of our group.