The Dark Blues
Cobra

Things You Don't Get Anymore

Rate this topic

Was thinking today about how my grandparents had a carpeted bathroom. It just seems like a really bad idea. I don't believe it's a thing nowadays.

Any other stuff from the past you just don't really see now?

Aye freend ...Meh Pocket Money :explode:

• Funny 5

1 hour ago, Cobra said:

Was thinking today about how my grandparents had a carpeted bathroom. It just seems like a really bad idea. I don't believe it's a thing nowadays.

We bought a house 'off plan' about 17 years ago as it was fixed priced and we only wanted it for a couple years. It was cheaper to get the whole upstairs done in the same carpet and it made sense at the time. We're still in the same house and only changed the upstairs bathroom carpet last year.... 😱 I only tiled the en suite about 6 years ago. 😱 Don't judge me..... 🙄

• Funny 4

Common fucking sense! 😂

• Funny 2

16 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

We bought a house 'off plan' about 17 years ago as it was fixed priced and we only wanted it for a couple years. It was cheaper to get the whole upstairs done in the same carpet and it made sense at the time. We're still in the same house and only changed the upstairs bathroom carpet last year.... 😱 I only tiled the en suite about 6 years ago. 😱 Don't judge me..... 🙄

Are you old enough to recall outside toilets?. Me and my then missus were at uni in Paisley in the late 90s and the only way we could afford to live together was in a building that was falling to bits so we stayed in a place with an outside toilet for a year. It's a horrific thought now but when you're young you just get on with it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cobra said:

Are you old enough to recall outside toilets?. Me and my then missus were at uni in Paisley in the late 90s and the only way we could afford to live together was in a building that was falling to bits so we stayed in a place with an outside toilet for a year. It's a horrific thought now but when you're young you just get on with it.

I think in my generation ootside lavs were the norm ...I'll no go as far as to say they were fashionable)

Some were utterly disgusting. But in truth in some tenements they were very clean & well looked after. Some even had custom cut newspaper squares on a string on a hook .... (Aye see these posh fowk, they kent how to show us up wi' awe their fancy ways)

What I do remember well as a bairn was these public drinking wells ... There was one in the Westport. It consisted of a post with a water tap on it. But also chained to the post was a cast iron mug/cup, which you filled & drunk out of. Naturally it was never washed. But was also in constant use, by anyone & everyone.

Think the horses used it as well (seriously):chaplin:

• Like 1
  • Love 1

26 minutes ago, TheDarkBlues said:

Common f**cking sense! 😂

In that case John it's just as well eh'm near at hand :wacko:

"And yes nurse, the extra medication is helping me":bouncy:

Do you remember travelling through Dundee by tram Gedee?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Harold Finch said:

White dog sh**e :D

Apparently they used to put chalk in dog food and then stopped doing it.

1 hour ago, Cobra said:

I'm 52 and while I've lived in some sh1teholes in my youth, never had an outside cludgey. Been to a couple of English Pals gaffs who had an old outside cludgey though. Fair play and as you say, loves young dream can overcome anything, even a hop, skip and jump to the bog.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cobra said:

I remember coming into Dundee to visit my Gran & Granda (Dad's parents) they lived in a tenement off Blackness road and being fascinated by the toilet being on landing and yes the newspaper being cut in squares. 

• Love 1

39 minutes ago, Mary said:

I remember coming into Dundee to visit my Gran & Granda (Dad's parents) they lived in a tenement off Blackness road and being fascinated by the toilet being on landing and yes the newspaper being cut in squares. 

Blackness Road?! That's my part of town, well it's where my family have always lived. Where do you live now Mary?

11 hours ago, Cobra said:

A likeable DAB😊

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

I've got nothing against the Irish and nothing against immigrants but I would have been grateful if our ancestors left the street dab-free.