The Dark Blues

Bikes

Rate this topic

Anyone into cycling who can recommend what to get or how much to spend?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You should have posted this in the conspiracy theory thread mate, I'm sure the reasons would be made clear by one of the intellectual heavy hitters on here. 😉

No wonder cyclists are such greetin' faced chunts!  

I think this one looks decent. Not keen on the colour though. https://www.halfords.com/boardman-adv-8.9-mens-adventure-bike---l-526811.html

What you looking to do with your bike Cobra? :)

It all depends where you want to ride your bike and if you think it will be a well used bike or left in the garage after the lockdown.

Decathlon are always worth a look, you get a lot for your money and they hold their price if you're selling it on.

I have 2 road bikes and 2 mountain bikes, I'm aiming to cycle 4,000 miles this year (turbo trainer in the garage and out on the road miles)

Feel free to PM me if you see a bike you like, I'm no expert but can give you my opinion .

• Like 2

Cheers Harold. I'm thinking I'll go on long road runs. Once I get into it I'm sure I'll keep going, well until the cold weather kicks in.

You see bikes for sale from between £200 and £20k and I'm not sure which price point makes sense. Would I notice a big difference between a bike that is £500 and one that is a grand?

I would go for a road bike, if you buy a hybrid you will see roadies going past you and making it look easy and you'll end up buying a road bike too :D

I have had Trek, Speialized, Boardman and Triban (Decathlon own brand) bikes and it's just what feels right for you and your budget.

Post up a few links of bikes you're looking at if you can

What about this one Cobra. Proper road bike which is what you want if you're doing long road runs. Much better colour too.

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/road-bikes/boardman-slr-8.8-road-bike-528825.html

I've got a Boardman Team Carbon, much the same as this but the Carbon makes it a kilo lighter. I've also got an alloy Fuji road bike which is 11 kilos and the difference, particularly uphill, is very noticeable.

If you're doing a lot of long runs, the one thing I'd do is change the tyres for ones with puncture protection; something like Continental Gatorskins. They're a wee bit heavier but worth it. I started cycling back and forward to work (30 miles a day) about five years ago and I started to get really fed up with the number of punctures before biting the bullet and getting Gatorskins. They cost a bit more but I've found they last longer so don't cost any more in the long run - particularly if you factor in the savings in inner tubes.

Hope you manage to get one; a mate was struggling due to the demand at the moment.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, chomp my root said:

Yeah, the colour would be a deal breaker for me.

Absolutely, would never buy anything that colour. Green and yellow are also on my banned list as is a claret/blue combination. 

• Funny 1

Cobra, you'd need an affa' good discount to go out on a bike that looks like that, surely?  :o 

My cycling experience is all off-road, so not able to offer advice on road bikes...other than agreeing with Harold that you should avoid a hybrid, as no matter how well-made, it's always going to be the best of neither. 

The other suggestion I'd make is to buy locally, rather than online....you should be able to get good discounts/prices locally, and you'll also need to get all your servicing done locally, so researching reviews of those shops is worth doing.  

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, DeeMo said:

Absolutely, would never buy anything that colour. Green and yellow are also on my banned list as is a claret/blue combination. 

Have ended up with a few items that are the 'wrong' colour, step ladders with tangy bits being one and a bow saw being another, even my missus comments on it if she see's me using them. 🤣

• Funny 2

I'm well past the age of cycling ...

But Big Cheers to you Guys (Include girls) who make the decision to get one or have one, they use regularly

(As Oldish Bairns, we managed to make up home-made bikes, wi' the bit's & pieces we got fae the scrappy)

No sure they' wid've passed today's stringent road safety tests ... Baldy Tyres, Suspect steering, Nae Brakes :jawdrop:

Saddles & Lights & other fancy accessories, were in high demand...Something only richer kids could afford:chaplin:

22 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

Have ended up with a few items that are the 'wrong' colour, step ladders with tangy bits being one and a bow saw being another, even my missus comments on it if she see's me using them. 🤣

I wont buy anything from superdry if it has the tangy label which can be tiny. 

I wont even have a real tangerine in the house. Things like mouthwash have to be blue, no green aloud. Nothing yellow allowed in my house and that includes bananas. Luckily the missus feels exactly the same. Sad or what 🙈😂

• Funny 1
2 hours ago, DeeMo said:

I wont even have a real tangerine in the house. Things like mouthwash have to be blue, no green aloud. Nothing yellow allowed in my house and that includes bananas. Luckily the missus feels exactly the same. Sad or what 🙈😂

I hope you have a black and white TV, just in case you see some offensive colours on it. 😉

• Funny 1

You'll be doing well to get a big in the next 4/5 weeks, tbh. My limit is £750. Even ones ~£1k are sold out. 

I'm half tempted to just hold off until about August when eBay and Gumtree will just be awash with bikes after folk go back to work. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, DeeMo said:

I’ll no even buy an orange coloured orange

• Funny 3