The Dark Blues

Our Branding - Shield or Badge?

Rate this topic

Which do you prefer?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Shield
    • Badge
  2. 2. Would you ever accept a completely brand new design?

• Yes
    • No

Back in 2007 (Or round about that time) our owners decided that the way forward was to just focus on one of our badges to focus on 'building that brand'. Ever since the other has been mostly ignored except for on some off the pitch style merchandise.  I've always preferred the other that we don't currently use.

And since it's the down season with not a lot to talk about, I thought I'd poll the good people of TDB forum to see what by and large the Dundee support prefer. Just a bit of fun and undoubtedly been asked before!

I know there's a bit of differing opinions on shield or badge etc but for the purposes of this poll, this shall be considered the Shield:

image.png.a8390759e95f5267f27282cc63b23724.png

Badge:

image.png.9d27e280578e6418dea85d12fde21433.png

Both certainly have their place, but I must say I prefer our badge. (I also realise that there's several different designs of each - just the general design is what I'm going for). I've also chucked in a question about whether or not you'd ever accept a re-design as that seemed to have been the popular thing down South for a bit. I'd be a definite no on that front.

• Like 1
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Having given the subject some further consideration, maybe an image of a Derry Boy kicking the shyte out of an Arab could be displayed prominently on any new badge design. Just a thought.😄

Prefer the badge which has a bit more detail. The red with white stripes rectangle above DFC lacks imagination in my opinion. Could do better, maybe something linking the club to the city eg a ship (R

I prefer the shield, maybe it's the retro feel to it or the simplicity of it but I feel it suits our darkest blue and whitest white strips The badge looks better with the strips that have a red t

Posted Images

I prefer the badge but its not something I'm passionate about, either/or for me. I'm defo open to something different if the club wanted to go down that route.

It's the badge for me. That's what was on the shirts when I started getting them, although it was the intertwined letters without the shield on the classic strips of the 70s that I adored and still do.

I voted no for th something new idea but more based on how rubbish the 'new' badges at clubs like Aberdeen and Hibs have been.

Hard to pick but I think the badge just edges it for me because the use of colours makes it more vibrant and I associate it with some great kits.

Prefer the badge which has a bit more detail. The red with white stripes rectangle above DFC lacks imagination in my opinion. Could do better, maybe something linking the club to the city eg a ship (RRS Discovery) or jute, jam and journalism. Hibs current badge represents the strands of that club's background and is all the more interesting for that. The harp, castle and ship symbolising Ireland, Edinburgh and Leith. Motherwell display a steelworks on their badge. St Johnstone have The Lamb of God. I could go on.

• Like 2

Having given the subject some further consideration, maybe an image of a Derry Boy kicking the shyte out of an Arab could be displayed prominently on any new badge design. Just a thought.😄

• Funny 3

I have always liked the shield as it was what I grew up recognising. It is instantly recognisable. Having said that , the badge is very smart as well, but on a jersey, the shield wins it.

I prefer the shield, maybe it's the retro feel to it or the simplicity of it but I feel it suits our darkest blue and whitest white strips

The badge looks better with the strips that have a red trim

I would be open to us having a new badge...........just don't let Mr Nelms design it :D

• Funny 2
49 minutes ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

Badge, one does not piss about with history and tradition. Ask any Italian fan and look at their shirts over the years. We are not Heinz or BT.

Not having a pop bud, but the current Juve top is a departure from tradition. The design is similar to Feyenoord and not the stripes you would normally associate with Juventus. Agree in general though that history and tradition are important. Re the badge I would only suggest minor modifications. Shirt designs are more variable and can divide opinion. Our latest white sleeve effort may be a step too far for some, others love it. At least this shirt contains the Dark Blue we all recognise. Unlike last season's offering. All about opinions though.

4 minutes ago, Barfly said:

Not having a pop bud, but the current Juve top is a departure from tradition. 

Apparently Juve binned a century of tradition because they were worried Americans wouldn't buy their kit as it resembles the referee kits in the US.

4 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Apparently Juve binned a century of tradition because they were worried Americans wouldn't buy their kit as it resembles the referee kits in the US.

Wow. Didn't know that Cobra. Zebras no more. Sold their soul.😕

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Wonder if St Mirren and Dunfermline will follow their example to boost shirt sales in the US?😄

• Funny 1