Strachan Bbc Interview

Rate this topic

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like a lot of what he says. Basically too many wee clubs playing at being professional. I personally would like two leagues of sixteen. No splits and bu**er the 4 x OF games a season. Proper futba.

I look at a club like East Fife and have spoken to a couple of their directors.  They are a community based club, prefer grass but artificial pitch gets used 7 days a week by the community, friendly e

If GS is basically saying the Scottish game is f#cked, then he is absolutely right. National team not qualified for a major tournament this century, 1998 if I mind right. Not even close. 

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

I like a lot of what he says. Basically too many wee clubs playing at being professional. I personally would like two leagues of sixteen. No splits and bu**er the 4 x OF games a season. Proper futba. 30 games.

I agree. I know he rubs people up the wrong way at times but he know what he’s talking about. The powers that be should be consulting with people of that ilk but we know that's not going to happen.

• Like 4

I really have no idea what he's actually proposing tbh.

He talks about clubs finding their level, the part time teams in this country generally operate sustainability to their gate income and don't have a huge dependence on subsidy, it's the likes of the mid sized full time teams like ourselves who are in disarray. On decision making, the regulations of league pass member votes with a bias to the top divisions.

Having 22 or so full time teams is more than respectable for a nation the size of Scotland. I dont know if the suggestion is to just eliminate relegation from that.

He also talks about these teams being meaningless youth development wise, Queen's Park would like to have words! Raith and Airdrie with recent internationalists too.

• Like 3
  • Star Post 1
1 hour ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

I like a lot of what he says. Basically too many wee clubs playing at being professional. I personally would like two leagues of sixteen. No splits and bu**er the 4 x OF games a season. Proper futba. 30 games.

People like you are dangerous and ought to be locked up. Your comments are far too sensible to be adopted. Ever. We live in a deranged world where common sense is frowned upon. Good luck with your show trial.😄

• Funny 4

I look at a club like East Fife and have spoken to a couple of their directors.  They are a community based club, prefer grass but artificial pitch gets used 7 days a week by the community, friendly environment 500-600 fans,  supporters lounge used thoughout the week, youth teams, oldies walking football, enough income to pay players 80 - 100 quid a week and Strachan thinks they are arseholes.  WTH does he expect them to do and what business model does he want them to adopt?  I know those running East Fife would tell GS where he can stick his opinion on how to run a div1/2 club.

• Like 6
  • Star Post 2
20 minutes ago, surreydee said:

I look at a club like East Fife and have spoken to a couple of their directors.  They are a community based club, prefer grass but artificial pitch gets used 7 days a week by the community, friendly environment 500-600 fans,  supporters lounge used thoughout the week, youth teams, oldies walking football, enough income to pay players 80 - 100 quid a week and Strachan thinks they are arseholes.  WTH does he expect them to do and what business model does he want them to adopt?  I know those running East Fife would tell GS where he can stick his opinion on how to run a div1/2 club.

I didn't hear the interview so maybe got the wrong end of the stick but when this stuff has been discussed in the past, its usually in the context of regional leagues under a couple of bigger leagues. As long as there is a proper promotion/relegation route then clubs can find their level.

1 hour ago, harry94 said:

I really have no idea what he's actually proposing tbh.

He talks about clubs finding their level, the part time teams in this country generally operate sustainability to their gate income and don't have a huge dependence on subsidy, it's the likes of the mid sized full time teams like ourselves who are in disarray. On decision making, the regulations of league pass member votes with a bias to the top divisions.

Having 22 or so full time teams is more than respectable for a nation the size of Scotland. I dont know if the suggestion is to just eliminate relegation from that.

He also talks about these teams being meaningless youth development wise, Queen's Park would like to have words! Raith and Airdrie with recent internationalists too.

To be fair no one knows what anyone is proposing, he may just be giving the bodies a boot up the a**e!

31 minutes ago, surreydee said:

My guess is he thinks they maybe should form their own association and the elite should form theirs. Then the elite could spend a few seasons getting their house in order, improve the product and match experience thus becoming more attractive to the tv. He appeared to be having a go at the Hamiltons and Livvys of this world in my view. They have the audacity to be better than DFC or Dunfermline, etc

3 hours ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

I personally would like two leagues of sixteen. No splits and bu**er the 4 x OF games a season. Proper futba. 30 games.

Most fans seem to agree but we moved away from a big top flight in the 70s because we're a small country with dwindling attendances.

Other European countries between 5m and 10m have largely gone the same way...

Austria pop. 9m - 12 teams
Switzerland pop. 9.5m - 10 teams
Denmark pop. 6m - 14 teams
Finland pop. 5.5m - 12 teams
Norway pop. 5.5m - 16 teams
Scotland pop. 5.5m - 12 teams
Ireland pop. 5m - 10 teams

I can't see us ever returning to a top 16. A top 14 with a split is probably as good as it could get.

2 hours ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

Sorry BCG, we more often than not agree on things but I'm embarrassed to be associated with Strachan's comments by way of him 'representing' DFC when he speaks these days.

As I often say when this sort of stuff comes up, who are we to decide who has a professional football team to support in the leagues? There's zero benefit to cutting a host of the teams in the leagues adrift and telling thousands of supporters that their history, passion and dedication following what are well run clubs working within their means (unlike most in the top two divisions) that their club has basically zero value just depresses me beyond belief. 

These 'wee' clubs serve a community purpose that the likes of DFC could learn a lot from, they offer football at affordable prices and give youngsters a chance to play the game at a good level in a way that most top two division clubs merely pretend to. Going to lower division games is a different experience and one that actually can offer a far more enjoyable experience than, for example, a day out at McDairmid Park just can't. Arguably the likes of Greg Stewart and Martin Boyle would also have been lost to our game if the lowest tiers were cut adrift as well.

Football, to me, is about fans and the passion they have for their clubs. It's not about generating cash, over paying preening professionals and brokering TV deals.

• Like 4
  • Star Post 1
28 minutes ago, barkblue said:

Sorry BCG, we more often than not agree on things but I'm embarrassed to be associated with Strachan's comments by way of him 'representing' DFC when he speaks these days.

As I often say when this sort of stuff comes up, who are we to decide who has a professional football team to support in the leagues? There's zero benefit to cutting a host of the teams in the leagues adrift and telling thousands of supporters that their history, passion and dedication following what are well run clubs working within their means (unlike most in the top two divisions) that their club has basically zero value just depresses me beyond belief. 

These 'wee' clubs serve a community purpose that the likes of DFC could learn a lot from, they offer football at affordable prices and give youngsters a chance to play the game at a good level in a way that most top two division clubs merely pretend to. Going to lower division games is a different experience and one that actually can offer a far more enjoyable experience than, for example, a day out at McDairmid Park just can't. Arguably the likes of Greg Stewart and Martin Boyle would also have been lost to our game if the lowest tiers were cut adrift as well.

Football, to me, is about fans and the passion they have for their clubs. It's not about generating cash, over paying preening professionals and brokering TV deals.

Not sure he is representing Dundee. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

Not sure he is representing Dundee. 

Well the picture on the BBC site shows him in Dens Park and the story says...

"Strachan, who is technical director at Championship side Dundee, believes "40 or 50%" of SPFL clubs would not survive in the English National League."

So while Dundee might not have sent him out to say this stuff, by the very fact that he is part of backroom staff/board at Dundee means his comments will be taken in that context. It's like saying that if Nelms or McPake spoke to the press that DFC aren't being represented.

The guy is used to fronting a club like Celtic, where he could basically say what he wanted without question from the press, or Scotland, where he thought he was untouchable. He doesn't have that protection now but his mouth will continually run away from him.

_112440632_19148444-1.jpg

34 minutes ago, barkblue said:

Well the picture on the BBC site shows him in Dens Park and the story says...

"Strachan, who is technical director at Championship side Dundee, believes "40 or 50%" of SPFL clubs would not survive in the English National League."

So while Dundee might not have sent him out to say this stuff, by the very fact that he is part of backroom staff/board at Dundee means his comments will be taken in that context. It's like saying that if Nelms or McPake spoke to the press that DFC aren't being represented.

The guy is used to fronting a club like Celtic, where he could basically say what he wanted without question from the press, or Scotland, where he thought he was untouchable. He doesn't have that protection now but his mouth will continually run away from him.

_112440632_19148444-1.jpg

He only stating his opinion on Scottish futba...abody has one, whether it’s right, who knows.. but we all know the way our game is going is on a downward spiral

• Like 3

Agreed.  Its just opinion that he's presenting.  I might not agree with all of it but there you go.  Keeps the conversation going if nothing else.

• Like 1