The Dark Blues

Sponsored Club Name

Rate this topic

Sponsored club name  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Would you accept a temporary rebranding of the club's name if it meant a more competitive team?

• Yes, being competitive is what matters
    • No, it trashes the club's identity

First it was the shirts that were used for brands, then it was stadiums and now it's the actual club names and badges.

I noticed that Austrian club Rheindorf Altach are currently known as CASHPOINT SCR Altach. Cashpoint are a betting company.

This is their badge.

CASHPOINT SCR Altach | LinkedIn

Not even sure if that's legal here, but I just wondered if folk would accept this kind of sponsorship if it elevated Dundee to the next level in terms of being able to challenge the best teams in the country.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As much as I want us to be Dundee FC playing in the darkest blue and white at Dens Park, I understand that a successful link up with a major sponsor would soon see people accept a name and badge chang

I'm happy enough with 'The Kilmac Stadium at Dens Park (/Noo Campy Park)' or any other future sponsorship, that doesn't result in some ludicrously 'dodgy' title. However, I'd prefer we keep the C

I think most Dees would find that hard to swallow.

For better or worse, its the world we live in. From a selfish point of view I'd rather not become the 'Big boy lube Dundee piledrivers' or even Kilmac Dundee (I have a preference of those options right enough) but this is where football is at. If Kilmac (or Heaven forbid 'Big boy lube') want to toss in enough cash to make us more competitive then it is what it is. Pandora's box has been opened and football has sold its soul (and a**e) for money.

• Like 1

I'm happy enough with 'The Kilmac Stadium at Dens Park (/Noo Campy Park)' or any other future sponsorship, that doesn't result in some ludicrously 'dodgy' title.

However, I'd prefer we keep the Club Name as it's been for a century & the keep the simple 'DFC' shield as it is....it's never needed any lettering or fancy graphics to identify our Club. The 'badge' (the one with the red & gold bits, as in the recent topic) should also remain as-is, but used on ties & 'blazers' (if we ever have those again!), club letterheads, etc.  

If anyone wants to give us silly amounts of cash, we can put their name all round the track/stands/etc.

• Like 2
  • Star Post 3
14 hours ago, chomp my root said:

For better or worse, its the world we live in. From a selfish point of view I'd rather not become the 'Big boy lube Dundee piledrivers' or even Kilmac Dundee (I have a preference of those options right enough) but this is where football is at. If Kilmac (or Heaven forbid 'Big boy lube') want to toss in enough cash to make us more competitive then it is what it is. Pandora's box has been opened and football has sold its soul (and a**e) for money.

Dundee will always be Dundee to me. If websites referred to us as Betfair Dundee or whatever I think I could live with it if it meant Dees were watching a noticeably stronger team regularly going to Hampden.

• Like 1

As much as I want us to be Dundee FC playing in the darkest blue and white at Dens Park, I understand that a successful link up with a major sponsor would soon see people accept a name and badge change in the pursuit of success.

I have to admit that as much as I would enjoy the new Dundee's success it wouldn't feel like my Dundee or the real Dundee.

I may be old fashioned but the shirt sponsor on the back of the shirt annoys the life out of me......I keep expecting Sky Sports to tell us Scott Fyffe has scored for Dundee, it should be name and number........I'm just getting over shirts not being numbered 1 - 11 :D

Maybe a suitable sponsor would be Dunkin Donuts.....I can hear Dougie Donnelly now.......it's over to the donuts at Dens Park :D

• Funny 5

Not quite the same thing but I remember when Hibs got Bukta as a sponsor on their shirts - was quite controversial at the time and led to them either not being shown on TV or having to wear another kit.  Nowadays, who doesn't have a sponsor (or two) emblazoned on their kit.  Things change but I wouldn't want to be the trailblazer on this.  

Based on the votes, there's people within the fanbase that'd accept a new name, a new badge & a new stadium! What's left of the club we support then?

• Star Post 1
6 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Based on the votes, there's people within the fanbase that'd accept a new name, a new badge & a new stadium! What's left of the club we support then?

It's a bit like Trigger's broom I suppose!  

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
26 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

"SCR Altach is an Austrian association football team based in Altach. The club is currently also known as CASHPOINT SCR Altach due to sponsorship of Austrian sports betting company Cashpoint."

The Austrian club temporarily adopts a second name to bring in serious sponsorship. They're not really giving up their identity.

Dundee will always be Dundee. We'll always have our club name, colours, our history, our badges, our nicknames, our fanbase.

We will have to come up with enterprising ways to be sustainable in the future. Losing £1m a year is not going to be an option forever.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

As others have said, it's not going to matter what we're 'officially' known as, to football fans we'll be Dundee/The Dees etc. I would guess in the media they'll still refer to us as that as well, at least some of the time. Its not something I crave but I can live with it. Where do you go to watch us play (when we did), was it Dens or Kilmac Dens Park or whatever its now officially called ?

8 hours ago, Cobra said:

"SCR Altach is an Austrian association football team based in Altach. The club is currently also known as CASHPOINT SCR Altach due to sponsorship of Austrian sports betting company Cashpoint."

The Austrian club temporarily adopts a second name to bring in serious sponsorship. They're not really giving up their identity.

Dundee will always be Dundee. We'll always have our club name, colours, our history, our badges, our nicknames, our fanbase.

We will have to come up with enterprising ways to be sustainable in the future. Losing £1m a year is not going to be an option forever.

6 hours ago, chomp my root said:

As others have said, it's not going to matter what we're 'officially' known as, to football fans we'll be Dundee/The Dees etc. I would guess in the media they'll still refer to us as that as well, at least some of the time. Its not something I crave but I can live with it. Where do you go to watch us play (when we did), was it Dens or Kilmac Dens Park or whatever its now officially called ?

I appreciate the logic and rationale of both of these reasoned statements, but it's really, seriously, 100% not for me.

I'd honestly rather watch us in one of the bottom two divisions than sell our souls to finish 7th in the top flight.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, barkblue said:

I appreciate the logic and rationale of both of these reasoned statements, but it's really, seriously, 100% not for me.

I'd honestly rather watch us in one of the bottom two divisions than sell our souls to finish 7th in the top flight.

We've all got our price, what about a Scottish Cup for the Kilmac Dundee ????

2 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

We've all got our price, what about a Scottish Cup for the Kilmac Dundee ????

Speak for yourself mate. 👍

I'm trying hard not to be a drama queen (one of the reasons I've been much less active of late on here) but I'm so utterly disillusioned with the whole thing that I'm genuinely trying to stop the camel's back from breaking but there are just more and more straws being piled on top.

Following Dundee for me has never been about 'glory hunting' (obviously, none of us are glory hunters😜) and I've derided clubs like Man City, Chelsea, Celtic and to a lesser extent Gretna for simply buying success. I can't see much difference here mate, but I understand that I sail against the wind.

Oh, and a dollop of cash (Marrs/Keyes etc) has worked well for us previously... 😂

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, barkblue said:

If you could go back 70 years to when we were winning the League Cup back-to-back and tell Dees one day that we'd have a company's name emblazoned across our sacred dark blue top, our stadium renamed after a construction firm and TV firms dictating that fixtures be played on a Monday night, they'd have laughed you out of the pub.

Unfortunately I think these changes are inevitable and I think it's adapt or die for a lot of clubs.

It could always be worse. In America, money dictates that NFL games have 11 minutes of action in 3+ hours, no promotion/relegation and franchises upping sticks and moving 1000 miles to play in a more prosperous city. 

• Like 1