The Dark Blues

Memories of Gilie

Rate this topic

I remember as a young lad watching The Dee playing Motherwell sometime in the  60’s. I was sitting on the wall near the South enclosure when a errant (hard,ouch) ball hit me full in the face and Gillie saying to me “Are you alright son ? “ before taking the throw in.

• Like 4
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Started watching Dundee as a young lad in 1960 and Gillie was and still is my hero. My first ever away game was Muirton, winning the league so that is a memory in itself. On a more personal note I was

I remember as a young lad watching The Dee playing Motherwell sometime in the  60’s. I was sitting on the wall near the South enclosure when a errant (hard,ouch) ball hit me full in the face and Gilli

i was at the game against QoS when he scored  7. My dad took me to every home game that season but i was too young to appreciate it, unfortunately.

i was at the game against QoS when he scored  7. My dad took me to every home game that season but i was too young to appreciate it, unfortunately.

• Like 3

I remember Dundee beating St. Mirren 9-2 at Dens in 1964 but can’t remember who the scorers were.I think that Frank Beattie was in goal for St. Mirren that day and in his career he was involved in a match fixing scandal if my memory serves me right.

• Like 3
45 minutes ago, Neil Cameron said:

I remember Dundee beating St. Mirren 9-2 at Dens in 1964 but can’t remember who the scorers were.I think that Frank Beattie was in goal for St. Mirren that day and in his career he was involved in a match fixing scandal if my memory serves me right.

Neil - Gilzean 3; Waddell 2; Cameron 2; Cousin and Penman (courtesy of Norrie Prices's They Wore The Dark Blue). They also scored 9 away to Brechin City that season in the Scottish Cup in front of over 8,000!! Despite scoring 94 goals (more than any other team) in the league they finished up 6th behind Dunfermline. They also scored 6 goals in a game on 4 occassions 🙄Crazy times.

• Like 3

I forgot to mention that was the season Gillie scored 52 goals. I'm sure I have watched the Dee when the whole team scored fewer than that in a season. 😈

• Like 1

Thanks Double Blue. Amazing times. I remember,vaguely the 1964 Scottish Cup Final when we got beaten 3 -1 by Rangers when our goalie  Bert Slater had a blinder despite playing a blinder and conceding 2 goals in the last couple of minutes.

• Like 2

I have a framed pic from my wall of five autographs. Gillie, Hammy, Cox, Robertson and Andy Penman. 
Gilli, Hammy and Shugs autographs are on the back of my Mums shopping list from 1963 when my Dad spotted the three players lounging against a white jag outside Samuels in Dundee.
My Dad told me they were Dundee players and I should get their signatures. I was six and approached with trepidation and as far as I remember they were very nice to me. Nae idea of Mum got her shopping done! My old man was well excited.

Kept them for years and added them to Cox and Penman , gained from outside Dens main door the following year. Now framed, odd shaped, and hanging in my Edinburgh dining room. A great topic of conversation with Edinburgh fowk when they come round.

I would attach it bit this forum has a very low size of pic resolution allowed to attach. Can this be looked at?

• Like 3

One of the games in the cup 64 run was a quarter-final replay at Firpark after 1-1 draw the previous sat (huge crowd at Dens) another big crowd and huge travelling support roared on the Dee's to a sensational Alan Gilzean inspired win (scored the 1st and I think the last) and remains one of the best games of football I've ever seen, these were really special times to be a Dee but we didn't quite make it in the final!  great team tho and what a fantastic player Gillie was.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Neil Cameron said:

Thanks Double Blue. Amazing times. I remember,vaguely the 1964 Scottish Cup Final when we got beaten 3 -1 by Rangers when our goalie  Bert Slater had a blinder despite playing a blinder and conceding 2 goals in the last couple of minutes.

You’re right NC. I was 10 and was there with my late dad. Kenny Cameron scores the goal of the game. Am I right in saying this was Gillie’s last game for us?

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Dandy McLean said:

You’re right NC. I was 10 and was there with my late dad. Kenny Cameron scores the goal of the game. Am I right in saying this was Gillie’s last game for us?

Couldn't get to final but highlights on tele confirm Kenny's goal of the game.  Just been reminded that it wasn't until Dec 64 that Gillie left for Spurs.

Edited by Campbell
Wrong info

I wasn’t there either. If I remember correctly Dundee played in all white that day and Rangers in royal blue stripes and white shorts. I used to get The Scottish Football Yearbook who had a report of the game saying that it would be known as “Willie Henderson’s Final as he provided the assists for the very late 2 goals That put paid to Dundee’s brave but sadly losing performance - typical west coast bias !!!!

Dundee did qualify for the European Cup Winners Cup however as Rangers had won the league. We went out in the first round losing 4-2 (I think) on aggregate against Real Zaragoza. Does anyone have any memories of that tie ?

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Neil Cameron said:

I wasn’t there either. If I remember correctly Dundee played in all white that day and Rangers in royal blue stripes and white shorts. I used to get The Scottish Football Yearbook who had a report of the game saying that it would be known as “Willie Henderson’s Final as he provided the assists for the very late 2 goals That put paid to Dundee’s brave but sadly losing performance - typical west coast bias !!!!

Dundee did qualify for the European Cup Winners Cup however as Rangers had won the league. We went out in the first round losing 4-2 (I think) on aggregate against Real Zaragoza. Does anyone have any memories of that tie ?

We did play in all white, but was the Rangers strip not red and white stripes? I can’t remember anything about the Zaragoza game other than we drew 2-2 at Dens, and if I’m honest I can’t even remember if that’s right. 😂

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Neil Cameron said:

Zaragoza were a class team and we could only manage a draw at home (canna mind the score but we did score first, Stevie Murray I think, seemed to remember we played better in the 2nd) beat away tho.