The Dark Blues

Property

Rate this topic

After spending my adult life being rubbish with money, the lockdown has put my in a position where I should be able to buy my own place.

The Scottish government are offering an interest-free £25k loan to first-time buyers, which is pretty amazing.

I'm toying with moving to the Dundee area so I can make better use of my season ticket. Anyone got any suggestions about where would be a good place to buy?

Quite a few publications are calling Dundee the best place to buy right now. I think the museum is helping transform the city's image.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Perty at Cobras! 

The Dykes of Grey development? Walking distance to the New Campy too, surely a no-brainer 😀

All I can say is if can buy your own place then you should.  At some point, it will be yours, that's got to be better than paying someone else's mortgage off. You'd maybe be better telling the Du

All I can say is if can buy your own place then you should.  At some point, it will be yours, that's got to be better than paying someone else's mortgage off.

You'd maybe be better telling the Dundee dwellers what you're looking for, des rez flat,  suburban semi......

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

All I can say is if can buy your own place then you should.  At some point, it will be yours, that's got to be better than paying someone else's mortgage off.

You'd maybe be better telling the Dundee dwellers what you're looking for, des rez flat,  suburban semi......

I was looking at a 4-bed new build in Invergowrie, which just happens to be the first place my parents lived when I was born. It's £200k there but the same type of property in Inverness is about £290k (and out of my price range). No point staying up here if I can save money and be closer to Dens.

• Like 1

Buying a house is a major decision to make just now.

Interest rates have been at a record low since the crash in 2008 and will start to creep up at some point. I have the worry that the combination of Brexit, Covid, the possible second and third spikes to come will lead to a substantial rise in interest rates, even a raise of 1% makes a huge difference to your  monthly payment on a £200k mortgage, what appears to be affordable now could quickly change in the space of a year.

The Brexit/Covid/Tory combination could see major job losses throughout the country and in all sectors,  if this happens we will be close to heading back to how things were in the 80's.

Right now I would rather have some savings for a rainy day because my forecast is that it's going to start pishing down unless Britain/America change direction financially.

All my opinion only and I could be miles out with it......I hope I am.

Mr Doom and Gloom

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Harold Finch said:

Buying a house is a major decision to make just now.

Interest rates have been at a record low since the crash in 2008 and will start to creep up at some point. I have the worry that the combination of Brexit, Covid, the possible second and third spikes to come will lead to a substantial rise in interest rates, even a raise of 1% makes a huge difference to your  monthly payment on a £200k mortgage, what appears to be affordable now could quickly change in the space of a year.

The Brexit/Covid/Tory combination could see major job losses throughout the country and in all sectors,  if this happens we will be close to heading back to how things were in the 80's.

Right now I would rather have some savings for a rainy day because my forecast is that it's going to start pishing down unless Britain/America change direction financially.

All my opinion only and I could be miles out with it......I hope I am.

Mr Doom and Gloom

I'm far from an expert but as the UK is obsessed with home owning I think this will have a political influence. No party wants to be the one that makes people have to sell their house and rent, its not a vote winning policy. Maybe just being hopeful but while interest rates are really only ever going to go up from the current historic low, I can't see them going up to the 80's levels. That's going to lead to a LOT of unhappy voters. Might be wrong of course, I often am, at least according to the missus.

• Like 1
On 07/06/2020 at 00:35, Cobra said:

I was looking at a 4-bed new build in Invergowrie, which just happens to be the first place my parents lived when I was born. It's £200k there but the same type of property in Inverness is about £290k (and out of my price range). No point staying up here if I can save money and be closer to Dens.

The Dykes of Grey development? Walking distance to the New Campy too, surely a no-brainer 😀

• Like 2