The Dark Blues

The Manager

Rate this topic

James McPake  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Are you supportive of James McPake leading the first team going into the 2020/21?

• Yes, 100%
    • On the fence
    • No, we need someone else
  2. 2. Do you think McPake has got a bright future in management?

• Yes, without a doubt
    • Let's wait and see
    • Not at all
  3. 3. What is your overall impression of McPake in terms of player recruitment?

• Outstanding
    • Pretty good
    • So-so
    • Poor
    • Dreadful

Thought it might be worth asking how Dees feel about the manager going into the new season (whenever it starts).

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sums it up quite nicely for me.  Also unbeaten in nearly 5 months which is good in anyone's books. 😀 There was a point during the season where I had had enough and couldn't see a way forward but

I think when you take into account the fact he’s the youngest manager in Scotland (I think), was in his first job, had a huge turnover of players and was trying to turn around a culture of losing, he’

He needs the team to get off to a good start. If he manages to keep the core of last season's team he should be OK. I have not really worked out if it was Berra that made the difference or whether  Mc

I hate sitting on the fence but I still feel JMcP got a bit to prove , so this is his season to do it hopefully. Covid came at a bad time for us we were starting to look better and reckon we'd finish 2nd no problem. Maybe now the Manager is finding his feet. 

Cobra, I decided to give him the top vote in question1 & 2, but dropped a little on question 3.

For me it is all around time. Taking into account, relatively short period he has been in the job.

Before the break I thought he was showing signs of real progress and his confidence showed.

Accepting this job was a big step up for him, but he has a determination, a hard working ethic.

I think he'll be driven on to succeed. And will pay back DFC for the opportunity they gave him.

• Star Post 1

Still not convinced about McPake (hope he proves me wrong), I know the Dabs were running Away with the league but we should have been closer to them in points and and should have been second in this league which I’m my opinion was a poor league this year.

Feel a bit churlish for only going "Pretty Good" on his recruitment, swithered with "Outstanding", he's brought in some pretty good players and he did seem to have got with the programme pre lockdown. Berra was great business.

• Like 1

Things seemed to be falling nicely into place and he had built a strong cohesive unit.  Then came lockdown.  JMP did frustrate with some of his changes/tactics early in the season but no reason to even think about changes.

It will be interesting to see who he brings in for Berra and Hazard,who imo made the difference to a leaky defence.Will be crucial for next season and might make or break him .

1 hour ago, surreydee said:

Things seemed to be falling nicely into place and he had built a strong cohesive unit.  Then came lockdown.  JMP did frustrate with some of his changes/tactics early in the season but no reason to even think about changes.

Sums it up quite nicely for me.  Also unbeaten in nearly 5 months which is good in anyone's books. 😀

There was a point during the season where I had had enough and couldn't see a way forward but kudos to him in turning it around.  He is still learning so I suppose we have to make allowances but he seems to be able to attract a good to excellent level of player to the club and that can only be good.

• Like 3

Not convinced yet, but wouldn’t change manager, we could easily be looking at same situation same time next year, I’d give him this season coming to get us up or at least second place

• Like 1

Player recruitment has been 'pretty' good although I would have used a bit more positive terminology than that.  Let's not forget the financial backing from the Owners (once again).

However, what he has actually got out of them is a different matter. Proven by the stats and home attendances this season.

Edited by Dondeh

I think when you take into account the fact he’s the youngest manager in Scotland (I think), was in his first job, had a huge turnover of players and was trying to turn around a culture of losing, he’s done a pretty good job so far.

Slow start maybe, but we were definitely on an upward curve before the season ended.

Went with outstanding for his player recruitment as he initially made some good signings in the summer, then in January correctly identified what we needed and went out and got it.

I still remember the person who said he was done and handing in his season book if we signed Berra! 🤣

Looking forward to seeing what he does in the transfer market this summer. Seems to be well liked in the game which would help with player recruitment.

I’m confident that if the league stays as is, we’ll give Hearts a right good run for the title, and finish a comfortable second at worst. If the 14-14-18 proposal goes through I can see us winning the league at a canter.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Deewee said:

I think when you take into account the fact he’s the youngest manager in Scotland (I think), was in his first job, had a huge turnover of players and was trying to turn around a culture of losing, he’s done a pretty good job so far.

Slow start maybe, but we were definitely on an upward curve before the season ended.

Went with outstanding for his player recruitment as he initially made some good signings in the summer, then in January correctly identified what we needed and went out and got it.

I still remember the person who said he was done and handing in his season book if we signed Berra! 🤣

Looking forward to seeing what he does in the transfer market this summer. Seems to be well liked in the game which would help with player recruitment.

I’m confident that if the league stays as is, we’ll give Hearts a right good run for the title, and finish a comfortable second at worst. If the 14-14-18 proposal goes through I can see us winning the league at a canter.

He's probably in a good position to say how well the club look after their people too. His treatment by the club after his injury was pretty well documented. We've also kept guys on for a few more months to help them out, you would guess this might appeal to players.

• Like 1

I think with where we were as a club last season, we had drained a huge amount of money in our futile attempt to stay up and there was a real lack of an experienced 'core' at the club who could sustain us with only really Cammy and Gowser continuing on as first team regulars. Last summer was a really important time for the club and we were giving a novice a massive opportunity to shape things for the next 2-3 years.

I've yet to really be convinced that we're actually rectifying the mistakes that we've spent the last 5 years making. I don't expect us to go all Wimbledon but we've struggled for years and spent a fortune trying to play football in a particular way under McCann and Hartley and although it's worked out on a few occasions, we've spent a lot of cash compared to other sides in the top flight like Hamilton and Livi who have been more competitive than us.

In Hemmings, Dorrans and Byrne (possibly even Johnson), these were really major coups for the club at the time and although I'm sure friendships may play a part in a couple of those deals, these are relatively big money signings for second tier teams. United made a huge bit of business with Tony Andreu who was sought after by much bigger sides, he was actually quite good but the team around him was too poor to carry. Now they've made that big profile signing again in Shankland but also accompanied it with a tough physical side who can do the business around him and sustained for periods of his absence.

If you don't have a proper squad of players who can handle themselves and are set up for a particular big money signing, it seems a total waste to me. Byrne in particular didn't seem to have any real thought process behind his arrival and integration into the first team where he has mostly played a different role to Livi. That's the part of things that really worry me, obviously there is financial power there but I just think a lot of our problems for the past few years have been exasperated by trying to buy our way out of them rather than good tinkering. We spent a lot of the good parts of the McCann era complaining that a good quality striker would transform the team or Hartley's teams didn't have 'natural' width, tough sh*t, you've got to make a way of playing to your strengths consistently rather than waiting for a window.

There were definitely signs that the manager was more in tune with his needs in the January window and further write-offs were made but he has at least matched that with a few signings who have fit. I do now have some optimism that the early difficulties could be put down to a period of adjustment when he was maybe thrown a big task in little time at the start of his career so happy to keep him in charge.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, chomp my root said:

He's probably in a good position to say how well the club look after their people too. His treatment by the club after his injury was pretty well documented. We've also kept guys on for a few more months to help them out, you would guess this might appeal to players.

Yes he speaks very highly of the way the club looked after him and I’ve been told he’s desperate to pay them back. He was brought up a Celtic fan, came through at Livi and captained Hibs but I’m told he now considers himself 100% a Dee now.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Deewee said:

Yes he speaks very highly of the way the club looked after him and I’ve been told he’s desperate to pay them back. He was brought up a Celtic fan, came through at Livi and captained Hibs but I’m told he now considers himself 100% a Dee now.

It wouldn't surprise me, he seems to really have bought into the club. 

• Like 1