The Dark Blues

The 80s

Rate this topic

What do Dees remember about the 80s? I'm thinking about stuff that doesn't exist nowadays.

I remember the old clock at the DC Keays end. I remember buying fanzines at the top of the Hulltoon. I remember walking up the old steps. I remember being thrust against the crush barriers in the Derry when Dundee scored and seeing f**k all.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the club shop being in the kellior center.

Classy.😄 What was your strategy if you needed a number two? 

I think it was something of a similar routine Barfly. But you got someone else tae hud & streech it...In case ye dribbled on yir breeks In those days; less inhibitions and more of a "together

Bringing yer UB40 to the game, being able to buy vintage programmes beneath the main stand , the ABC board to check half time scores that were located in the match day programme, waiting In the queue for a pie at the back of the provie whist still able to watch the game and the smell of the urinals as you entered the provie rd /sandeman street turnstiles .

Bairns running around the players during the warm-up to get their autographs

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, WESTENDDEE said:

Brining yir carry oot in wi yi.  Then just pulling yir dick oot and

pissing on the terracing.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
5 minutes ago, Barfly said:

I think it was something of a similar routine Barfly. But you got someone else tae hud & streech it...In case ye dribbled on yir breeks:chaplin:

In those days; less inhibitions and more of a "togetherness"  No social distancing then ... But most did wear Facemasks as a precaution :ph34r:

Gloves, Wellies (hats even) were Optional. But those of us with a bit foresight & of a more cautious nature and less forthcoming wore all 3 :excited:

• Funny 2
32 minutes ago, Gedee said:

I think it was something of a similar routine Barfly. But you got someone else tae hud & streech it...In case ye dribbled on yir breeks:chaplin:

In those days; less inhibitions and more of a "togetherness"  No social distancing then ... But most did wear Facemasks as a precaution :ph34r:

Gloves, Wellies (hats even) were Optional. But those of us with a bit foresight & of a more cautious nature and less forthcoming wore all 3 :excited:

Maybe I was ahead of my time Gedee. I was social distancing long before the term came into common use. You never knew when 'Helmut Schoen' would make a surprise appearance in your vicinity. Twenty metres was the recommended safe distance due to the unpredictable nature of the 'flash floods' that invariably followed.😄

• Funny 1
1 hour ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

Not in the 80s mate.

Only until the Battle of Hampden Park. Scottish Cup final 1980. 🤕

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Barfly said:

Maybe I was ahead of my time Gedee. I was social distancing long before the term came into common use. You never knew when 'Helmut Schoen' would make a surprise appearance in your vicinity. Twenty metres was the recommended safe distance due to the unpredictable nature of the 'flash floods' that invariably followed.😄

Guid Stuff Barfly ... In these serious times, in both the Health & Fitba front, I think we are awe in need o a wee laugh) :lol2:

And to think the modern fans & supporters complain aboot the lack of "facilities" in today's toilet. In my younger days,

the place tae dae a pee for everyone wis ahent the Stand. On Big Match days. It wis like the swirling watters o' the Isla

or the Dichty in Full Spate. But as I said in them days, there was a sense of camaraderie between those who wore the 

Dark Blue. Many a time when travelling ahent the stand at half time (change ends) you could barely get passed when

The Peein' Mob were in full flow ... It was a case o' a hot cup o' tea in one hand, a hot peh in the ither hand. And then yir

mate if he'd a free hand took a firm grip o "yir thingy" while ye munched awa. Aye we made a lot o new freends then:chaplin:

• Funny 2
1 hour ago, Gedee said:

Guid Stuff Barfly ... In these serious times, in both the Health & Fitba front, I think we are awe in need o a wee laugh) :lol2:

And to think the modern fans & supporters complain aboot the lack of "facilities" in today's toilet. In my younger days,

the place tae dae a pee for everyone wis ahent the Stand. On Big Match days. It wis like the swirling watters o' the Isla

or the Dichty in Full Spate. But as I said in them days, there was a sense of camaraderie between those who wore the 

Dark Blue. Many a time when travelling ahent the stand at half time (change ends) you could barely get passed when

The Peein' Mob were in full flow ... It was a case o' a hot cup o' tea in one hand, a hot peh in the ither hand. And then yir

mate if he'd a free hand took a firm grip o "yir thingy" while ye munched awa. Aye we made a lot o new freends then:chaplin:

Lying drunk behind the goal at Muirton in August 1980, Saints beat us 1-0, Ally MCCoists first league goal. Loads of fights at half way line segregation. Hot sunny day. 

• Wowzer 1

Yup it amuses me when people go on about Facilities etc at Football Matches. I can still recall the thunder of the pee against the back of the corrugated walls at the back of the Provie Road Enclosure at Half time!!  As for the 80s our fan base was immense- lots of noise,colour and varied songs (some now discouraged for various reasons).

We all had a new rival in the emergence of "Them" who previously (to me anyway)didn't register as much as Rangers/Celtic but their arrival galvanised our loyal supporters (Those Who didn't jump ship!) and produced some memorable celebrations like the ones after the 1987 Skol Cup Quarter Final. Some good times/sides in the 80s but we always seem to come up short sadly!

• Like 2

Can't remember the year in the 80's but it was last game of the season Vs St Johnstone,  my dad said 'if dundee score I'll buy you a Mars Bar'. Bang ! First few mins Iain Ferguson (1st time around) Right up to the back of Derry to the wee blue hut  . We won 2-0 Ferguson brace. Tam Carson having great games against DABs, Greetin sfter Tyncastle semi Vs DABs on bus home (such a close game , could've gone any way . We would have won the cup if we got past THEM) & Tosh McKinley chest & volley at the dump . 

• Like 1