Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

The 80s

Cobra

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Yup it amuses me when people go on about Facilities etc at Football Matches. I can still recall the thunder of the pee against the back of the corrugated walls at the back of the Provie Road Enclosure at Half time!!  As for the 80s our fan base was immense- lots of noise,colour and varied songs (some now discouraged for various reasons).

We all had a new rival in the emergence of "Them" who previously (to me anyway)didn't register as much as Rangers/Celtic but their arrival galvanised our loyal supporters (Those Who didn't jump ship!) and produced some memorable celebrations like the ones after the 1987 Skol Cup Quarter Final. Some good times/sides in the 80s but we always seem to come up short sadly!

Can't remember the year in the 80's but it was last game of the season Vs St Johnstone,  my dad said 'if dundee score I'll buy you a Mars Bar'. Bang ! First few mins Iain Ferguson (1st time around) Right up to the back of Derry to the wee blue hut  . We won 2-0 Ferguson brace. Tam Carson having great games against DABs, Greetin sfter Tyncastle semi Vs DABs on bus home (such a close game , could've gone any way . We would have won the cup if we got past THEM) & Tosh McKinley chest & volley at the dump . 

57 minutes ago, Steve W said:

Can't remember the year in the 80's but it was last game of the season Vs St Johnstone,  my dad said 'if dundee score I'll buy you a Mars Bar'. Bang ! First few mins Iain Ferguson (1st time around) Right up to the back of Derry to the wee blue hut  . We won 2-0 Ferguson brace. Tam Carson having great games against DABs, Greetin sfter Tyncastle semi Vs DABs on bus home (such a close game , could've gone any way . We would have won the cup if we got past THEM) & Tosh McKinley chest & volley at the dump . 

The game against St Johnstone was 83/84. It was a nothing game but could have been a relegation decider. Sure we got a point at Tynecastle the previous midweek to make us safe. 

21 minutes ago, OCDee said:

The game against St Johnstone was 83/84. It was a nothing game but could have been a relegation decider. Sure we got a point at Tynecastle the previous midweek to make us safe. 

Cheers , OCDee . Couldn't remember the year 👍 I remember Ferguson being my favourite player then him & Cammy Fraser going to Huns not long after. 

1 hour ago, Steve W said:

Cheers , OCDee . Couldn't remember the year 👍 I remember Ferguson being my favourite player then him & Cammy Fraser going to Huns not long after. 

Yeah, they both went in the close season and Archie had the big summer of rebuilding.

15 hours ago, OCDee said:

The Midweek Hearts games was a rare occasion of seeing Dundee on Midweek Sportscene (Don't think it was Sportsnight?) Never knew the score so was watching it "Live" as such. Cue great scenes in our Living Room when the match finished!!! IIRC either Jin McInally (in his 1st period with us) either scored our goal or was MOM or both!?

PS I still find it hard to talk about the Tynecastle Semi Against them!! Still cant believe we lost it although the Skol Cup 87 still gave me the greatest Football elation (although now tied with the Doon Derby) to almost make up for it!!

15 hours ago, Steve W said:

Fergie should never have went to United, Dundee had first option on him when he was leaving Ibrox but we refused to pay the £140k Rangers wanted, McLean stepped in and snapped him up for £145k and they got the best years of his career.

39 minutes ago, Donny O said:

The Midweek Hearts games was a rare occasion of seeing Dundee on Midweek Sportscene (Don't think it was Sportsnight?) Never knew the score so was watching it "Live" as such. Cue great scenes in our Living Room when the match finished!!! IIRC either Jin McInally (in his 1st period with us) either scored our goal or was MOM or both!?

PS I still find it hard to talk about the Tynecastle Semi Against them!! Still cant believe we lost it although the Skol Cup 87 still gave me the greatest Football elation (although now tied with the Doon Derby) to almost make up for it!!

I went through to Tynecastle for that midweek match - was a bit of an anti-climax as we never looked like losing it.  It was a sunny night, that's about all I remember of it. 

The semi - worst feeling I've had supporting the Dees.  A long drive home on the bus that night only made worse by hearing St M had beaten Hearts in the other semi. The Skol Cup game was special and takes some beating - I was already away for the Doon Derby and promotion game. 

44 minutes ago, Donny O said:

Not sure about MoM but he definitely got the goal. He made a real impact in that short spell.

• 2 weeks later...

Was thinking about the dees in the 80's and wondered how we never won a Scottish cup . I can vaguely remember always getting drawn against either old firm or Aberdeen.  Now looking at it Christ ! We were unlucky with the draw for about 10 years . Even beating rangers at ibrox a couple of times ended up getting Celtic in the next round . Dabs beat us a few times too . Just a wee break in the draw we might have made at least a final. I remember fondly a really good team in the 80 's , with maybe a break in the draw who knows we might not be waiting over 110 years for the Scottish cup win . Oh well the rest as they say is history .

Adblock Detected