The Dark Blues

Helping the Club

Rate this topic

I doubt I'm going to have kids myself but my sister has 3 young ones. It's unlikely they are going to fall in love with my team so I'm wondering how I can do something to make them have a slightly easier life that I had in my 20s while also supporting DFC.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Honestly...... Don't get them into football, there's plenty other stuff to get them into without the sh1te of our 'National Sport'. Personally, I'd say get them into walking/camping but most sports ar

That's fine for the twins (7-year-old girls) but I don't think it would be a great life decision for my one-year-old nephew to say 'f**k football'. When I lived in London there were people who li

I often wish I'd made the decision to hate football when I was younger, life would have been so much simpler and less stressful.

Honestly...... Don't get them into football, there's plenty other stuff to get them into without the sh1te of our 'National Sport'. Personally, I'd say get them into walking/camping but most sports are less toxic than football

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
1 minute ago, chomp my root said:

Honestly...... Don't get them into football, there's plenty other stuff to get them into without the sh1te of our 'National Sport'. Personally, I'd say get them into walking/camping but most sports are less toxic than football

That's fine for the twins (7-year-old girls) but I don't think it would be a great life decision for my one-year-old nephew to say 'f**k football'.

When I lived in London there were people who lived and breathed football like me, there were people who pretended to be football people and there were people who hated football. 

While people should be free to like and dislike whatever the hell they like, in my experience it's not a great life choice to say "I hate football".

• Star Post 2
10 hours ago, chomp my root said:

Playing football is magic, I plan to continue until I’m 60! 

10 hours ago, Cobra said:

While people should be free to like and dislike whatever the hell they like, in my experience it's not a great life choice to say "I hate football".

I often wish I'd made the decision to hate football when I was younger, life would have been so much simpler and less stressful.

Edited by Prince Buster
  • Like 1

Show your nephew the 3-4 win over the dabs as shown on another thread, also the doon derby, the magic of cabellero team and the work will be done. Then when older the wee pint before is always a good way of looking forward to a visit to Dens.

i’m afraid the girls will need to be bribed with money and gifts.

Take them to games. We all need a team to "support" IMO. It gives you an easy way to start conversations or continue conversations with acquaintances and sometimes it's a useful ice breaker when you meet new people. 

You do not need to be fanatical and make it all consuming but just having a football team to take an interest in makes it easier to fit in to a conversation. If you make the effort you'll be a legend with your 2 nieces, it's a different type of day at the football, no drinks, tone down the language but I'm sure your nieces would be cool with going to a match with you, and a chippy for tea would be a fitting way to round off the day.

The girls might like the fact that they watch football, and they may want to play as well. Family stuff needs to be encouraged IMO. You read, all the time, on here about posters' uncles, parents and grandparents and the affectionate memories they have of matches that they attended with grown ups. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Neverapenref said:

Show your nephew the 3-4 win over the dabs as shown on another thread, also the doon derby, the magic of cabellero team and the work will be done. Then when older the wee pint before is always a good way of looking forward to a visit to Dens.

i’m afraid the girls will need to be bribed with money and gifts.

My experience is that girls are just as interested if they are included in the grown ups interest. But, as you say, money and gifts may be required unless you really make an effort to include them in the experience.