The Dark Blues

Dundee Football Club Historical Trust

Rate this topic

Hi guys, I hope this is okay for posting?

Any queries/questions please email to [email protected]

Thanks in advance 

Proposed Dundee Football Club Historical Trust

February 2019, a small Steering Group of Dundee FC supporters met with the intention of forming a Dundee Football Club Historical Trust.

After many stimulating meetings throughout 2019 and into this year and in discussions with the Dundee Football Club Board the Steering Group has successfully secured an agreement to operate independently from the Football Club but with the full backing, support and blessing of the Club. 

Established on a voluntary basis by a group of supporters, the proposed Historical Trust is now well advanced with the application process for securing charitable status and anticipates that all necessary approvals will be in place well before the end of 2020.   

The proposed Trust will be an extremely proactive organisation that works to preserve, celebrate and share the rich heritage of Dundee Football Club and the memories of its players, management and supporters.

The Trust will be responsible for raising revenue to implement current and future projects, community events and memorabilia purchases. As a result, contributions from fans, other individuals and organisations, whether via memorabilia loaned or donated, or financial support will be greatly appreciated to ensure that current and future projects can be realised and the history of the Football Club safely preserved as a legacy for future generations.

The Trust will acquire, preserve, maintain and exhibit artefacts, records and memorabilia of a historical, cultural and personal nature connected with the history and activities of Dundee Football Club, its players, officials, employees and supporters, and to make the same available for public access and educational purposes at the discretion of the Trustees.

The Trust is also in the process of designing and preparing to launch a dedicated website for the purpose of displaying artefacts, records and memorabilia. The Trust will also organise and run events aimed at promoting its activities and raising funds to help with the development of the organisation. The Trust also aims to organise and host exhibitions and lectures for the interest and education of supporters of Dundee Football Club and the wider community.

Finally, the Steering Group is delighted to confirm that the process of gathering memorabilia, artefacts and documents is already well advanced and if anyone wishes to add to the collection by donation or by loan and receive acknowledgement for doing so please contact by email to [email protected] to discuss the opportunity.  

• Like 4
  • Star Post 4
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys, I hope this is okay for posting? Any queries/questions please email to [email protected] Thanks in advance  Proposed Dundee Football Club Historical Trust February 2019,

Many thanks to all who have replied and also those who have been in touch since the last update regarding memorabilia donations.  Also can i say thank you to the admin of this site for allowing u

Great to hear. All clubs should display their history and not in the boardroom 

I know some of the lads involved in setting this up,   they are all good Dees and as genuine and loyal supporters as you could get.  I know a lot of time and effort has been spent in getting this up and running and i wish them every success in this going forward.

All the best lads, F.

• Like 1

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Many thanks for the good wishes, much appreciated. We have had great support from The Scottish Football Museum and The Hibernian Historical Trust and taken onboard their advice regarding storage and insurance issues. At the moment we are building up a database of historical items and securely storing the physical items that have been donated/loaned. 

Regarding a permanent museum, this is the objective for the future, as we are in the very early stages of a long term project.

Regards

• Like 6

Up until a few years ago there was one of the turnstile gates at Carolina port still standing alongside a section of the original wall. 

• Like 1

Excellent idea. 

We've been well served by Kenny Ross as unofficial/official club historian. This sounds like a good idea to formalise things. 

Good luck with this 👍

Just an update to say thanks for all the positive feedback on here and all other social media sites. Also thanks to the contributors who have got in touch via email.

The email address for reference is [email protected] 

Many thanks

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Good afternoon fellow Dark Blues,

Just an update on the Dundee Football Club Historical Trust, we are pleased to announce that we have now received our Charity status confirmed by OSCR, the regulation body in Scotland. This now allows us to push forward, draw up all relevant policies and continue to develop the Historic Trust website which will be launched in the near future. 
Since the last update, the Historic Trust has been assisting the DFC in the Community Trust with their latest initiative “Dundee Together” by researching and transcribing articles to suit the Community Trusts needs.
The Historical Trust would also like to thank the DFCSS/Dee4Life for all the essential financial and administrative support provided and also the numerous number of Dundee FC memorabilia collectors for getting in touch and donating, and when the time is right, Indicating their wish to loan memorabilia to the Trust. 
Anyone who would like to know more or indeed like to loan or donate memorabilia please contact the Trust at: [email protected]

“Preserving the past, protecting the future” 

On behalf of:
The Dundee Football Club Historical Trust
  • Like 6
  • Star Post 1

Great idea and as somebody already said would be great if we could set up a wee DFC museum somewhere in the new stadium, if it happens, I realise this is still in the very early days and I salute those involved and wish you every success in your endeavours.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Abernethy Dee said:

Great idea and as somebody already said would be great if we could set up a wee DFC museum somewhere in the new stadium, if it happens, I realise this is still in the very early days and I salute those involved and wish you every success in your endeavours.

Yes to a museum. I briefly visited Hearts version at Tynecastle a couple of years ago and was blown away by how professionally the history of that club was presented.

Memorabilia, photography, supporting interpretation panels, etc,  brought the club history to life. Displays were highly impressive and I would recommend a visit.

• Like 3

Many thanks to all who have replied and also those who have been in touch since the last update regarding memorabilia donations. 

Also can i say thank you to the admin of this site for allowing us to post and update everyone.

Barfly, we will make a point of visiting the Hearts museum at Tynecastle, it will be good for research, we as a Trust have had invitations to visit the museums at Hampden and at Easter road, we have visited Richard and his team at Hampden and collated early DFC information from Our Boys & East End and obviously Dundee Football Club with an invitation to go back several times to add to record Dundee Football Clubs rich history.   

Tom Wright, Club Historian and Trustee of Hibernian Historical Trust has been of an immense help in keeping us on the straight and narrow, he invited a delegation of our trustees through to Easter Road to muse over their impressive collection, including the Gordon Smith memorabilia.

There is a hell of a lot of goodwill from Scottish football clubs and their historians for Dundee Football Club to have their own history to be told

Regards

Jim

• Star Post 8
1 hour ago, wildebeest said:

Many thanks to all who have replied and also those who have been in touch since the last update regarding memorabilia donations. 

Also can i say thank you to the admin of this site for allowing us to post and update everyone.

Barfly, we will make a point of visiting the Hearts museum at Tynecastle, it will be good for research, we as a Trust have had invitations to visit the museums at Hampden and at Easter road, we have visited Richard and his team at Hampden and collated early DFC information from Our Boys & East End and obviously Dundee Football Club with an invitation to go back several times to add to record Dundee Football Clubs rich history.   

Tom Wright, Club Historian and Trustee of Hibernian Historical Trust has been of an immense help in keeping us on the straight and narrow, he invited a delegation of our trustees through to Easter Road to muse over their impressive collection, including the Gordon Smith memorabilia.

There is a hell of a lot of goodwill from Scottish football clubs and their historians for Dundee Football Club to have their own history to be told

Regards

Jim

Best of luck with the project. I am sure it will go from strength to strength.

• Like 2