The Dark Blues

Dens Routine

Rate this topic

What does a trip to Dens look like for you?

For me it might involve a couple of pints pre-match but always aim to reach the top of the Derry steps one minute before kick-off. Five minutes before the break I'll go for a peh and bovril then settle down to flick through the programme. Five minutes before the end of the game I might shuffle towards the exit unless it's a big game.

• Love 1
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Firstly I hope my son has a home game as  that reduces the likelihood of me impersonating Mario Andretti once leaving the average speed cameras on the A9.  Watch him pick up a yellow card, home,

I'm not and never have been a 'routine' type of guy and detest the idea of going to the same pub, on the same bus, at the same time, sitting at the same table, with the same people and talking the sam

A wee bit of denner then  polish meh ox blood Doc Mertin shoes ,  check meh staypress troosers  are ah properly irned.  On we the Donkey jackit, then scarf we ah the badges,patches etc  then anither t

Get to Dens about quarter to three, decide if I'm having a pre match pie.

Get to my seat and stand there admiring how good the pitch looks, have a look around the crowd....then the pre match nerves kick in before I go into game mode, your heart beats that bit faster, all around you is silent then you hear the crackling sounds of Hector Nicol, the team are on the pitch, you give a tribal roar as they line up for kick off......I sit down and lean forward in concentration ready to analyse every pass, every decision, suddenly it's half time. Time for another pie and a bovril, a blether with whoever is nearby, check the phone, get ready for the second half which is much the same as the first half. After the game the walk back to the car and drive home is decided by the score and how we played,

• Love 1

Get on the supporters bus in Forfar & the chat is usually "wonder what team will turn up today?" 😉. Then the walk down to the Derry and up all those steps then down to my seat and just soak up the atmosphere. Journey home, the mood depends on the result but still keep going back 😁. Occasionally have a pie but tried the coffee once 🤮

• Like 2

Couple of beers, occasional bite to eat from Roughies, trip to club shop, in early for a blether and to visit the facilities, up out seat early to beat the h/t pisser queue, stay to death most weeks, early exits if we're getting absolutely pumped or if I'm with my 77yr old father in law. 

• Like 1

Drive up to Dundee listening to Sportsound. Get into Dens around 2:40 and buy a steak pie & bovril. Meet up with old pal, watch match.

Drive home and have a couple of pints in my local with mates and discuss the various games we’ve been to.

• Like 1

I don't have a routine as such, it varies on if I'm going with the missus or travelling with mates or going through on my own and meeting a mate there or not. I do like to get to my seat in plenty time, quarter of an hour before kick off as a rule, it gives me time if there's a curve ball like a queue etc. I always stay until the end no matter how bad the game (apart from the time the missus got wheeched off to Ninewells in an ambulance 😱 ). No superstitions or anything like that and while I wouldn't say it doesn't bother me, I'm well past a bad day on the park ruining my night or weekend, I've had plenty time to get used to it.

• Like 2

I'm not and never have been a 'routine' type of guy and detest the idea of going to the same pub, on the same bus, at the same time, sitting at the same table, with the same people and talking the same sh*t. That's not only football related, my life needs to be varied and if I'm being honest I pity those that do as described above in any walk of life.

These days I start deciding around three days before a game whether I can be bothered going to see the same old sh*t on the pitch. The whole day's become a bore for me and is something that right now I genuinely wish I'd never started doing. My life is richer for many things I've done and still do but is definitely poorer for my time wasted following football.

• Wowzer 1
  • Funny 4

It's been a while but used to head up and be there around 3:35 and the rest of the guys would drift in between then and K.O. Never one for having a pint before, mainly because we always lived so close and my old man wasn't one for having a pint before the game. None of the guys I sat with had a pie either so usually just sat and chatted without moving until 10 mins before FT when we started to drift to the back of the Provie Road until the final whistle. Straight home and got ready for the night ahead - usually started off in Sinatras and headed towards the Fountain as the night wore on. No word of a lie, the toon was Dark Blue on a Saturday night.

Not much I miss about living in the UK but certainly the Dee experience is one thing. Don't give a f**k that we've won nothing in my time (almost nothing) 'cos it's not about that. That said, a wee touch of silver wouldn't go amiss!

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Prince Buster said:

I'm not and never have been a 'routine' type of guy and detest the idea of going to the same pub, on the same bus, at the same time, sitting at the same table, with the same people and talking the same sh*t. That's not only football related, my life needs to be varied and if I'm being honest I pity those that do as described above in any walk of life.

These days I start deciding around three days before a game whether I can be bothered going to see the same old sh*t on the pitch. The whole day's become a bore for me and is something that right now I genuinely wish I'd never started doing. My life is richer for many things I've done and still do but is definitely poorer for my time wasted following football.

Cheers for that PB!

• Like 1
On 21/06/2020 at 10:49, Prince Buster said:

Can always rely on you to be a ray of sunshine mate 🤣

• Funny 3
On ‎21‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 10:49, Prince Buster said:

But apart from that you really enjoy it :)

• Funny 3
27 minutes ago, Deewee said:

Can always rely on you to be a ray of sunshine mate 🤣

I do try

17 minutes ago, offshoredee said:

But apart from that you really enjoy it :)

Love it

• Like 1
On 21/06/2020 at 10:49, Prince Buster said:

Got me depressed now

• Funny 2

Im the only one left from my school mates that goes to Dens Every Game so my routine is-Jump in the car- Get parked !! then into Dens Before 14:45 (preferred)

Say hello to the guys that have sat beside me in The Derry for years until its KO

Don't Eat or Drink anything as im there to watch the football and want no distractions like Toilet Breaks etc...…….Then hopefully its back home to have a few celebration drinks or sadly more likely (in recent seasons) a few "Pick Me Up" drinks to ease the pain of another disappointing display!......Then on Here to read the Reviews at stupid o clock Sunday Morning!!

• Like 2