The Dark Blues

Are Clubs In Trouble?

Rate this topic

I have bad vibes about our predicament. How dangerously close are we to the edge? If the Dabs can sell 5000 season tickets, surely we can (and I dont believe the hundreds of free ones stories) in these grim times.

despite Dundee being a poor city, how come they can do it yet we seem to be struggling. I could be wrong and happy to be corrected, etc but this is really serious in my view. Putting petty and snide comments aside about our neighbours, are we way behind them in fan interest and engagement?

Constructive replies only please.

• Like 1
  • Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If Meekings leaving is the bad news I can't wait for the good news! 😁  

Season tickets bought, very busy day the lad selling the tickets said , lots of renewals as people in the line saying they couldn’t buy the same seats online 

We've been behind them in fan engagement for years - as long as I've been alive.  They're always going to outstrip us as 2 generations ago grew up with European football, winning the league. The

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

I have bad vibes about our predicament. How dangerously close are we to the edge? If the Dabs can sell 5000 season tickets, surely we can (and I dont believe the hundreds of free ones stories) in these grim times.

despite Dundee being a poor city, how come they can do it yet we seem to be struggling. I could be wrong and happy to be corrected, etc but this is really serious in my view. Putting petty and snide comments aside about our neighbours, are we way behind them in fan interest and engagement?

I don't think it's any secret that they joey the numbers. I was speaking to a DAB last week who claims he's paid for his 2021/22 ST already. Money in the coffers but surely can't be healthy moving forward. 

1 minute ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

I was speaking to a DAB last week who claims he's paid for his 2021/22 ST already. 

They've been doing that for years. Apparently the likes of Rangers offer that up, too. I've never understood it personally. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, PolarBear said:

If it comes to the worst we can sit back and watch it happen, or do something. The option is there for EVERY Dee fan.

It's been a possibility since we started relying on handouts and loans that we'd end up on a life support machine at various points. The American's have been very good to us but surely their patience must be wearing thin. The coronavirus pandemic might just be the final straw for them and their stadium plans. The only hope imo is with their claim that they always leave their business interests in a healthier position than they found them. The jury's maybe out on whether that's currently the case so they might just decide to ride out one final storm.🤞

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

I don't think we are in a great position and  it will come down to 2 things for me. 

1.) Will our insurance pay out - if so we'll be ok

2.) How much interest does Keyes have and how willing is he to continue to cover losses?

I think it's really important that we all spend what we can afford to help the club and to demonstrate to TK that we are worth sticking with.

• Like 4
  • Star Post 2
1 hour ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

About 20 years ago I wrote a letter to the club basically highlighting that Utd were handing out free tickets for matches  to primary school children ( I know this for a fact as my son was in primary 1 and came home with one every week , I was already taking him to Dens by this time but he loved his football and wanted to go to the games , I hid the tickets down the side of the settee and he forgot about it by game time  )  and said that the club needed to counteract this by doing the same otherwise these kids would grow up as Utd being their team especially if their parents weren’t really into football. I think they are bearing the fruits of this now.

By the way ,the response I got from the club was very dismissive 

• Star Post 1

Any mention of United on here leads to the inevitable "I don't care about them" replies, and while I can understand that if we're purely talking matters on the pitch, when it's fan engagement and season ticket sales chat I think their set up and performance is hugely relevant - they are our biggest competitors after all.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Potterson said:

Any mention of United on here leads to the inevitable "I don't care about them" replies, and while I can understand that if we're purely talking matters on the pitch, when it's fan engagement and season ticket sales chat I think their set up and performance is hugely relevant - they are our biggest competitors after all.

Agree with this...

It might come a time maybe not too far from now where there is only room for one team in our small city....

1 minute ago, Mr Sensible said:

Agree with this...

It might come a time maybe not too far from now where there is only room for one team in our small city....

I would miss the Dabs 😀

• Funny 1

I wonder if the city fathers will look kindly on the Campy development post Covid and fast track things, amongst others,  as it will create jobs in the already struggling city economy.  Government at national and local level need to provide encouragement for job creation.

The other side of the coin maybe that any financial investment for the project may disappear as a result of the pandemic.

Just now, gblue said:

I would miss the Dabs 😀

I genuinely wouldn’t....

Been done to death on here I think, but the night we relegated them, we should have had a season ticket renewal leaflet on every seat, even a half season ticket one.

9,000 dees that night, in love with our club, with our foot on our throat of our rivals...

Its the simplest things that make the big difference.

• Like 9

The present situation means every Club (If not in a crisis at this current time) are all a state of fear and trepidation, about what the future holds for them. Specifically their own Club, and Scottish  Football in general. IMO. I am not meaning to side track a discussion Billy, on what I think is a good topic, that rightly asks for constructive replies ... But I think I have to raise the subject of purchasing Dens Park.

In my mind, what drove the Americans towards our direction, was it opened the door to greater things ... Namely the Campie Project & hopefully & subsequently, the huge rewards it would bring to them, whilst at the same time, help them invest more money into DFC (And if this was the case, there is nothing wrong with that) However, although, as shown by their continued backing they were willing to take a long term view, this present situation must be really concerning as to what the future holds and what exactly is their place in it. I am not sure they will be now, be able, or even want to, see how the whole thing will play out.

The Campie Project, may well be a much needed. And offer a big return to everyone. But even if they can raise the money, I would not think they would be as confident as they were when they arrived here, or even a few months ago. If this is the case, then to answer your question ... Yes, I think we could well be in deep trouble. It may have to be the case, that we have to cut our cloth severely to suit our present situation. Would I be happy with this, if we found ourselves seeming to be stuck in the lower Divisions? The answer to that is of course, NO ... But on the other hand I don't want us to be gambling (big-time) on our future...We know where that leads

So why bring up Dens Park ... John Bennet during this awful time, showed in my view a great kindness of heart to suspend our rent. (Thank You)

I think now is the time to shelf (or at least suspend) the idea of Campie. And be contacting John Bennet again, to see if he is willing to deal ... Either rent free for an extended period, a guaranteed long-term low rent, or offer us an opportunity to buy at a "marked down price" I am aware Dens will never offer the the money making opportunities that Campie might, but Dens Park is not going to be the noose that may eventually kill us off (imo)

Maybe the recent motivation, or even that great photo of ground & new grass for coming season has got me over-excited for Dens.  But care is needed.

• Wowzer 1

I wouldn't like to have a loan of £5m repayable at the minute. Or wages at 133% of turnover pre-Covid 19 which will be rocketing up every month as turnover flatlines. Or some guys that we really know nothing about promising everything will be alright purely by being in the Premiership, combined with a MD leaving under strange circumstances. 

Nelms has made some right howlers, and he still appears to be remarkably naive, that is a worry. But, I think Tim Keyes and Nelms have demonstrated good intention.

The big difference being if Tim Keyes and Nelms walked away we'd certainly be in trouble, but not deep trouble. There's no debt. Meanwhile, 5000 season tickets isn't going to make one bit of difference if certain individuals leave elsewhere ;)

• Like 6