Jump to content
The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Was it FIFA who wanted games of four quarters?  Someone raised the topic but I can't remember.

Now that we have this in England with the drink breaks,  how long do you think it'll be before the TV companies sneak in adverts? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they're supposed to be because of the extra games being played in the hotter summer weather and are supposed to be one minute long.

I can see you being right though and before we know it they'll be at every game, will be two minutes and will have ads in the ones covered by TV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, tckeayend said:

Was it FIFA who wanted games of four quarters?  Someone raised the topic but I can't remember.

Now that we have this in England with the drink breaks,  how long do you think it'll be before the TV companies sneak in adverts? 

Wouldn't surprise me, formalise it and toss in a couple adverts, at the end of the day, its a big money making racket anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tckeayend said:

Was it FIFA who wanted games of four quarters?  Someone raised the topic but I can't remember.

Now that we have this in England with the drink breaks,  how long do you think it'll be before the TV companies sneak in adverts? 

Americans demanded quarters for World Cup 94 so they could sell more ads but they backed down when they realised they were getting nowhere with it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People were happy enough to have VAR infest the game and ruin it because 'it's for the best' so I'm not too sure they'll have a leg to stand on if water breaks and adverts are brought in. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

US tv  were the drivers behind breaks in every odd game in tennis, just for ads. Happened long time ago and it has stuck.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

US tv  were the drivers behind breaks in every odd game in tennis, just for ads. Happened long time ago and it has stuck.

Have you ever sat down and watched TV in the US for a few hours? It's absolutely nuts. Ads every few minutes. America is capitalism on steroids.

The NFL is more popular than church and I don't know why. An average professional game lasts 3 hours and 12 minutes, but the ball is only in play for 11 minutes. More than 100 ads are shown during a game. Horrific.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Have you ever sat down and watched TV in the US for a few hours? It's absolutely nuts. Ads every few minutes. America is capitalism on steroids.

The NFL is more popular than church and I don't know why. An average professional game lasts 3 hours and 12 minutes, but the ball is only in play for 11 minutes. More than 100 ads are shown during a game. Horrific.

Absolutely ! Although as a spectacle I have had some great times at the baseball

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cobra said:

Americans demanded quarters for World Cup 94 so they could sell more ads but they backed down when they realised they were getting nowhere with it.

Apparently they also wanted to make the goals bigger too so there would be more 'scores'. 

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

Apparently they also wanted to make the goals bigger too so there would be more 'scores'. 

Diana Ross still missed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

Diana Ross still missed

Is Diana dead? 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, DarkBlueKnight said:

Is Diana dead? 😂

I hope so...the world came to a standstill believing she was!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Cobra said:

Have you ever sat down and watched TV in the US for a few hours? It's absolutely nuts. Ads every few minutes. America is capitalism on steroids.

The NFL is more popular than church and I don't know why. An average professional game lasts 3 hours and 12 minutes, but the ball is only in play for 11 minutes. More than 100 ads are shown during a game. Horrific.

Almost as bad here where I am - i guarantee that if I do some channel flicking there will be ads on at least 50% of the channels. I'd estimate that a 1-hour long programme could be condensed into 30 minutes max.

Still, the wife is able to get me a beer without missing much so it's not all bad!

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.