The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved

Rate this topic

Our historic club might up and leave at some point, but Dens will always be our spiritual home.

This, I believe, is the oldest aerial picture of Dens. It was taken in 1922. Five days after this photo was taken, the Dee beat Partick 1-0 in front of 17,000.

At the time, our ground was situated on the edge of the city limits.

[Dens+Park+11+Sep+1922.jpg]

• Like 3
  • Love 5

Our main stand might look dilapidated in the 21st century but it must have looked awesome 100 years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cobra said:

Our historic club might up and leave at some point, but Dens will always be our spiritual home.

This, I believe, is the oldest aerial picture of Dens. It was taken in 1922. Five days after this photo was taken, the Dee beat Partick 1-0 in front of 17,000.

At the time, our ground was situated on the edge of the city limits.

[Dens+Park+11+Sep+1922.jpg]

Great pic Cobra. I never knew there used to be a pitch where the tenements are at the foot of the Provie Road.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dandy McLean said:

Great pic Cobra. I never knew there used to be a pitch where the tenements are at the foot of the Provie Road.

DFC were born at the height of the Industrial Revolution. Our club is dripping with history. We weren't just created to give Irish immigrants a team to support.

My Dundee-loving granddad was born in Merthyr in 1918. It wasn't a great time for the world but at least DFC were the only team that mattered in Tayside at the time.

1 hour ago, Cobra said:

It wasn't a great time for the world but at least DFC were the only team that mattered in Tayside at the time.

Still are Cobra!

• Like 1

Great Photo & Topic Cobra ... Although life quite rightly moves on ...

But you look at a photo of that era. And although the main focus is on Dundee Fitba Club & the New Developing Ground that is Dens, also for me, are thoughts of the mixed & many surrounding areas there & further around the City. And then from there, the generations of families, that worked & lived there at that time, experiencing the worst and maybe sometimes the best of times ... And now all gone. This kind of past reminiscing does not in any way, make me feel sad ...

It actually makes me feel proud, to be associated with Dundee, Our Great City & Great People. With the growing population, with it's great Characters, and of course Our Great Football Club & Football Players ... But especially those among them, who took the first early steps and made the real early sacrifices ... To make Dundee FC, the Established City Club at the time, that would go on to achieve so much and draw in many thousands of DFC Passionate Support.

I wonder if they ever envisaged what lay ahead ... The unbelievable record crowds with Dens bulging at the seams, the great victories & performances of days gone by. And then the gradual decline & worrying time ahead in the recent past & even now. All of it (Great times & the worst of times) constitutes "Our History"

Will all this come back again? I think most of us would doubt that...But who knows what can be achieved if the ambition & determination is there...

DUNDEE CITY & DUNDEE FOOTBALL CLUB & DENS PARK, WITH IT'S LONG HISTORY, GIVES ME A WARM FEELING...AND MAKES ME FEEL PROUD :wub:

• Like 2
  • Star Post 1

Cannae help thinking , that thon pitch that was eventually replaced by tenements must have had some slope on it.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

6 hours ago, Dandy McLean said:

The Historical Trust is at the moment looking for all the grounds that East End and Our Boys played at as their home grounds. That pitch could be Havecroft Park at which East End played at between 1877-1883. Havecroft Park was certainly in that area as Bowbridge C C played their also.

17 minutes ago, StobbieDee said:

Cannae help thinking , that thon pitch that was eventually replaced by tenements must have had some slope on it.

That's exactly what I was thinking!

Imagine playing up the slope? 😬

Does anyone know any history on that pitch?

This is 1921, apparently at Dens, The stand looks under construction in the background

• Like 2

That's the angle all pictures of Dens should be taken from......I'm sick of seeing Tannadice in the background of every picture of Dens

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

This is 1921, apparently at Dens, The stand looks under construction in the background

A young Gedee showing us how to deal with a tomato thief :D

• Funny 5

16 hours ago, HK Blues said:

Still are Cobra!

Can’t forget the world famous Carnoustie Panmure

7 hours ago, PrincePenman said:

Can’t forget the world famous Carnoustie Panmure

Fair point PP, but they are a distant 2nd!  

• Like 1