The Dark Blues

New Captain?

Rate this topic

New Captain  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Now Meekings is away, who would you make captain?

• Dorrans
    • McGhee
    • Gowser
    • Marshall
    • Hemmings
    • Other

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jordan McGhee has been appointed Club Captain with Paul McGowan appointed as Vice Captain.   well done Jordan for being made captain and sticking by the Dee 

McGhee for me. Gowser leads by example on the pitch with his work rate and keeping everyone “honest” anyway so no need to give him an armband.    I personally think McGhee is one of the best de

I don't see Gowser as captain material tbh. I think he's matured a lot but he's still brought a lot of bad attention to the club relatively recently. We know what he brings and I don't think he's the

Not sure how Gowser is viewed in training but judging him on what I see at Dens the armband belongs to him.

I remember Dees being angry at Gowser after he screamed in Julen's face for conceding two penalties in a relegation battle in Inverness. I disagreed. Gowser and O'Dea almost single-handedly saved us from the drop with their remarkable energy and desire. Two guys that some folk just don't appreciate.

I used to dream of playing for Dundee but after seeing the way some treated Gowser, GGH and KT, I think I dodged a bullet.

• Like 1

Gowser all day long. For a west coast lad he fair loves the Dee and as much as many slate him for his rants, what they're slating is what was seen in the past as the mark of a great captain, vocal, angry, dishing out verbals, but most of all leading with the demeanor of 'we will not f**cking lose this one!!' 

Gowser doesn't need an armband to be a leader , he just is.

McGhee done enough last season to be given it and it might squeeze that wee be extra out him with the Captains role.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Gowser all day long. For a west coast lad he fair loves the Dee and as much as many slate him for his rants, what they're slating is what was seen in the past as the mark of a great captain, vocal, angry, dishing out verbals, but most of all leading with the demeanor of 'we will not f**cking lose this one!!' 

He's made a heroic recovery for addiction that has inspired a lot of folk. He also happens to be great footballer. I hope one day to have the chance to shake his hand and buy him a beer like I did with GGH.

• Like 1

Did Gowser no have the armband for a few games a few years back and was getting too "involved" and his game went off the boil. Maybe work out better now 🤔

Would say Gowser, but I remember him saying on the Open Goal episode with him that it doesn't mean much to him, so I voted for McGhee. Feel like aside from Gowser he's the one that can form the backbone of the team.

• Like 2

I don't see Gowser as captain material tbh. I think he's matured a lot but he's still brought a lot of bad attention to the club relatively recently. We know what he brings and I don't think he's the sort of guy who will let wearing a bit of elastic determine his volume level, I don't feel it's worth the risk. I don't really think he himself would see himself as being the club captain as well but just a hunch.

Ray McKinnon predicted McGhee as a future Dundee captain and was very keen on him taking that role early into his Falkirk tenure. We obviously don't know the behind the scenes but he was undroppable and very consistent last term.

• Like 3

Gowser as captain, McGhee as vice captain with Gowser giving him more responsibility in the dressing room as the season goes with him stepping up when Gowser is no longer in the first team . That would build a lot of respect for McGhee and see him become the natural successor to Gowser.

5 minutes ago, harry94 said:

I don't see Gowser as captain material tbh. I think he's matured a lot but he's still brought a lot of bad attention to the club relatively recently. We know what he brings and I don't think he's the sort of guy who will let wearing a bit of elastic determine his volume level, I don't feel it's worth the risk. I don't really think he himself would see himself as being the club captain as well but just a hunch.

Ray McKinnon predicted McGhee as a future Dundee captain and was very keen on him taking that role early into his Falkirk tenure. We obviously don't know the behind the scenes but he was undroppable and very consistent last term.

Good post. As much as I love Gowser, I maybe would not like him as a leader in my team. That's something for the manager to consider.

Forgive me for changing direction  for a minute, but why in Gods name was Meekings given the armband in the first place. He never showed any leadership qualities in my eyes. 

• Love 1
  • Star Post 1
21 minutes ago, Dandy McLean said:

Forgive me for changing direction  for a minute, but why in Gods name was Meekings given the armband in the first place. He never showed any leadership qualities in my eyes. 

McCann was sacked because of a terrible start to the season. Kusunga flogged a couple of ridiculous goals but Meekings gifted the fermers all three points with a laughable attempt at playing Tony Watt offside, and that was a really significant defeat. 

Forgivable if it was a one-off, but that was standard Meekings. Like Williams and Vincent he arrived at Dundee with a great reputation based on performances in the Highlands and turned out to be rotten in dark blue.

Not sure what happens to guys on the A9 but they seem to become garbage by the time they arrive at Dens.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Not sure what happens to guys on the A9 but they seem to become garbage by the time they arrive at Dens.

I get where you’re coming from. They seem to forget that they’re actually quite good players. Saying that, we’re not the most patient of supports. If you don’t play like Messi on your Dens debut, you’re s***e. 😂😂😂

Gowsers time has passed so I would give to someone who could be here a few years . Fingers crossed that is McGhee as this year he has led by example and clearly others have picked up on this as mentioned before In MCKinnon at Falkirk who made him captain and he also captained Scotland at various age groups including several times at under 21 level . 
Gowser will still offer his all and will demand from others 

I am no sure I'd want to see McGowan regular Captain (maybe disnae need that added responsibility)

When he's in the mood, which he usually is, as far as I am concerned, by  his effort & enthusiasm, and on a really good day, all that goes with it, he leads by example. And I am no sure he needs an Armband. In my opinion, he knows what DFC & fans expect of him .... And if other players on the Park watch him (especially on his very best days) they should also see what he expects of them ... Whether he is Captain or not

You'll have gathered I love the wee man :wub:

I'll no vote, because I don't know enough.

And I believe it not only about match day.