Dfcss Statement

Rate this topic

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I try to when I can, sort of feel I should. I take my hat off to those who give up their time to run with it, its a thankless task.

This is far too complex for most fans to bother getting involved with. That's why the Foundation has been such a success and will probably raise more in one year than DFCSS has since its inception. 

And will continue to do so until they get them. Unfortunately for them the club's constitution doesn't allow them to get their grubby mitts on the A shares which can only pass on to a similar org

DFCSS/Dee4Life statement regarding Bob Hynd’sresignation and financial support for the Club 

Further to the article in the Evening Telegraph on the 30th June 2020 the DFCSS/Dee4Life Directors wish to confirm their extreme surprise and disappointment at the resignation of Bob Hynd and record their gratitude for his valued contribution to the Society and the important role he performed as a colleague and bridge between the Society and the Club over the years.

All Society Directors and Members are extremely passionate Dundee supporters and we want to help the club through these extraordinarily difficult times. 

The recent press statement from the Club refers to the Society rejecting a request for financial assistance from the funds we currently hold. The fact of the matter is the Society rules, in common with other Supporters’ Trusts, do not encourage ‘no strings attached’ donations such as this and that is why the Society Directors decided they could not agree to the request as it stood.

In light of the perilous situation facing clubs across the country the Society Board is exploring other means by which it could provide the Club with funding at this time includingthe purchase of shares or an interest-free loan. Furthermore, given the fact this could account for a significant portion of the Society’s reserves, the Society Directors would wish to consult with the Members over any such proposal and provide them with a comprehensive set of facts to allow them to decide how their money is spent. Unfortunately, the discussions with the club were short-lived and these alternatives were not considered.

The press statement also referred to £38,000 being held by the Society and claimed that the money was raised using the Club’s intellectual property. The reality of the situation is that the Society had a legal agreement with the Club relating to its intellectual property which included a profit share arrangement which was fully adhered to. Since this agreement linked to DFCTV was brought to an end by the Club in 2015 the Society has committed around £25,000 to Club related causes so only a small proportion of the residual profit remains. The balance of the Society’s reserves consists of Members money raised through subscriptions, donations and a fundraising event.         

In spite of thsituation a small group of Society Members and other supporters continue to work on a proposal to establish a ‘Monthly Donations Fund for all supporters to participate in, if they wish, that would put money directly into the Club. The Society is keen to help as much as possible with this initiative and has agreed to support an online platform for the Fund.  

Finally, everyone in the Society wants to help the Club as much as possible within the parameters of the Society’s rules and would welcome constructive dialogue with the Club over ways we can help out at this particularly challenging time.             

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good, so DFCSS have accepted that they need to contribute and we can expect them to ask members to vote on offering financial assistance to the club again soon. 

This will surely be expedited as a matter of urgency given the DFCSS Board's apparent concern for the current situation. 

Strange that Bob Hynd would resign however if it was the DFCSS Board's intention to help the club as much as possible? I look forward to seeing them follow up this statement with affirmed action to the benefit of Dundee Football Club. 

Edited by Alexis
1 minute ago, Alexis said:

Good, so DFCSS have accepted that they need to contribute and we can expect them to ask members to vote on offering financial assistance to the club again soon. 

This will surely be expedited as a matter of urgency given the DFCSS Board's apparent concern for the current situation. 

Strange that Bob Hynd would resign however if it was the DFCSS Board's intention to help the club as much as possible? I look forward to seeing them follow up this statement with affirmed action to the benefit of Dundee Football Club. 

Are you a member then Alexis ?

7 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

Are you a member then Alexis ?

As far as I am aware, yes. 

I used to contribute monthly. 

12 minutes ago, Alexis said:

As far as I am aware, yes. 

I used to contribute monthly. 

Get yourself along to the next meeting then mate and have your say, despite what you may think, it can be quite a talking shop.

2 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

Get yourself along to the next meeting then mate and have your say, despite what you may think, it can be quite a talking shop.

Good point mate,  I think I'll do that. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Got the email, might go along next time myself.

I try to when I can, sort of feel I should. I take my hat off to those who give up their time to run with it, its a thankless task.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, chomp my root said:

It's actually beyond thankless, it draws abuse from some people.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Received this and already replied.

Dear Member,

Further to my email on the 1 July 2020 I’m pleased to forward a short questionnaire (below) on behalf of the Board which as you’ll appreciate is most important and should hopefully take just a few minutes to reply to. Email responses to [email protected] by 12noon on Wednesday 22 July 2020 will be greatly appreciated and please note that all responses will be treated as confidential and never associated with individual Members.   

A detailed appraisal of the responses will be swiftly reported to the Members and most importantly will be used to inform the Board’s decisions on any significant additional contributions to the Club and associated organisations. 

It should also be stressed that the Society’s directors are extremely sympathetic toward the financial challenges facing the Club, however, the problem the directors face is that the Society Rules, in common with other Supporters’ Trusts, do not encourage a ‘no strings attached’ donation as has recently been requested by the Club. This is one of the main reasons why the Society directors decided they couldn’t agree to the request as it stood. Another reason is that, as a democratic organisation, and given that a significant amount of reserves had been requested, the directors wish to engage with the Members before taking such a potentially major decision. We therefore provide the following guidance to Members on how their money could potentially be spent within the parameters of the ‘Objects’ and ‘Powers’ in the Society Rules.

To help the directors with their decision making process please study the following suggestions and respond to questions A, B, C and D.

NB: The Society’s reserve allowing all current expenditure commitments is £34,000.

By way of background suggestions, the Society Rules would favour a donation to the Club or related organisation through any of the following suggested routes:

1.1  Share purchase

1.2  Interest free loan

1.3  Support for the activities of ‘Dundee FC in the Community Trust’

1.4  Support for the activities of the new ‘Dundee FC Historic Trust’

1.5  Funding of free season tickets for schools and community groups

1.6  Funding of stadium improvements to benefit of the supporters        

Question A - Would you be happy for the Society to release a significant amount from the current reserves. Yes / No?

Question B - If Yes, what percentage of the reserves would you suggest?  

Question C - If you’ve responded ‘Yes’ to Question ‘A’ above which of the donation categories 1.1 to 1.6 above would you support?

Question D - If you’ve responded ‘No’ to Question ‘A’ above please explain why, if you wish.

By way of further background information the Board is delighted to confirm giving the following support in the last six months to the Club and associated organisations:

·       £500 donation to Scott Roberts’ Crowdfunding initiative.

·       £888 donation to the ‘DFC in the Community Trust’ soccer schools. 

·       £2,600 donation towards the development of the new 'DFC Historical Trust' website and other costs.  

·       £1,000 grant secured from Dundee City Council to further support the development of the 'DFC Historical Trust'.

·       Managing the successful application process to OSCR for the 'DFC Historical Trust' charitable status and the development of the Trust’s governance documents.

Finally, DFCSS/Dee4Life has a membership approaching 200 and the greater the membership the better placed the Society would be to contribute to the Club. It’s worth pointing out that both at Board and wider membership level there are Members who are also Club shareholders, DSA members, season ticket holders and Dee Lotto members and that all members wish to work for the ultimate benefit of the Club.

I look forward to your email response and if you've any queries please let me know.

Kind regards,

Ian Baird

Director and Secretary

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My responses, also already sent

a - yes

b - no more than 50%

c - 1.2, interest free loan but with a caveat that there must be a drop dead pay back date after which the society board could (at its discretion) apply interest. My thinking here is that it's all fine well offering interest free loans but the problem is there's no compulsion for the loanee to ever pay it back (most people will know I don't think the club board is to be trusted).

d - N/A

• Like 2

I went the other way (if you excuse the expression), here's what I sent.

Hi guys, guess you're going to be busy with these so I'll get to it.

A. No
B. N/A
C. N/A 
D. I've no problem with putting money into the club per se although I'm not sure what c30k would actually do. While I wouldn't say no to 30k, for an organisation the size of DFC its buttons and I feel this is the latest 'ploy' by the club to weaken the Society. FPS have gone out of their way to increase their holding (including trying to lever the Society out of their A shares) to tighten their grip on the club. Fair enough, that's up to them but that should mean that its even more than before,'their train set' so without trying to sound harsh,its their problem. One I hope they sort and the insurance problems get resolved sooner rather than later i should add. If the vote is a YES then for me there has to be 'strings', whether its a loan or shares or whatever, while DFCSS is a DFC orientated organisation, its not a fundraising arm for FPS. 

Good work on helping with the Historic Trust, this is something that we've lacked I think and I look forward to visiting it when its up and running.

I'm happy for this to not be anonymous and used in any way you want and good luck with it all, I can see this turning into a bit of a bun fight.

• Like 1

I've replied as well.

A...yes

B... Up to 50%

C... Interest free loan with conditions, like a set time to pay it back. I don't think the club would agree to giving the Society shares.

• Like 1