Jump to content
The Dark Blues

Stevie Campbell Article

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

He says he hopes the cutbacks don't affect the academy too much as he's impressed with the standard of coaching and players we have right now.

He also says the cutbacks might mean more opportunities for younger players. Back then it was Dixon, Robertson and MacDonald. 

I think we're quite fortunate that we've got some promising youngsters right now. Not all will make the cut obviously but lads like Ferrie, Fisher, Hornyik,  Fleming, Moore, Anderson, Mulligan, Cunningham and Cameron really need to give it their all to make it into the side like Finn did. 

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You see it at the highest level available here. Play it out from the back comfortably "tippy tappy pish". Even attempting to enhance players ability (which can't be done overnight) is seen as some sor

Youth development will never function correctly and properly feed into our game until we sort the leagues out. The small leagues in Scotland (And too many of them IMO) mean that the pressure to win ab

He says he hopes the cutbacks don't affect the academy too much as he's impressed with the standard of coaching and players we have right now. He also says the cutbacks might mean more opportunit

8 minutes ago, Wattie Rojas said:

He says he hopes the cutbacks don't affect the academy too much as he's impressed with the standard of coaching and players we have right now.

He also says the cutbacks might mean more opportunities for younger players. Back then it was Dixon, Robertson and MacDonald. 

I think we're quite fortunate that we've got some promising youngsters right now. Not all will make the cut obviously but lads like Ferrie, Fisher, Hornyik,  Fleming, Moore, Anderson, Mulligan, Cunningham and Cameron really need to give it their all to make it into the side like Finn did. 

 

 

Absolutely this^^^^. The heading was a disgrace though,  Academy cuts will be devastating. He said nothing of the sort. It was a fair and sensible explanation of the effects of cutting any youth programme. Funny how People noted are bumping their gums about investing in their youth programme and the man who found Vardy is going to build the future on youth. 

I have long been sceptical about finding uncut diamonds and polishing them into gems that everyone wants. Selling your stars, even if they are home grown probably only pays for the costs of running the youth programme and it isn't sustainable. You would have thought that their experience with MacNamara would still be a re ent memory.

I think a good youth set up is vital as part of a family approach to building a football club. We need to make the most of Gordon Strachan and I hope that this talk of cuts to our youth programme are kept to a minimum. Dee Promotions do a fantastic job raising money, we need to help them and try to retain as much of our youth programme as possible. 

It is obviously very worrying for the families of young boys who are involved in our programme but let's remember that one youth player has the potential to bring in more than one family of supporters.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

If he's no longer at United we need to get him back to Dens. He's one of the best coaches in Tayside if I'm not mistaken. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure he'd have any interest in it, tbh. He has his own soccer school along with taking 1 on 1 sessions alongside that. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, WeighorstsWang said:

Not sure he'd have any interest in it, tbh. He has his own soccer school along with taking 1 on 1 sessions alongside that. 

A lot of the younger academy players still train with these football “schools” like Campbell’s one, skilz, 360 ft and box soccer. There’s a tonne of them out there now. I’m assuming by what he says he’s coached a number of our academy players in his own sessions and even mentioned lyal Cameron by name.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Klopp was talking this week of having a team of Scousers conquering England and Europe.

Why is the idea of us having a team full of Dundonians at Dens so laughable? I get that a lot of best players go to Glasgow and elsewhere but I can't help thinking there's more to it.

Why is Scotland failing so miserably to produce gifted players? Why the f**k are no Neil McCanns emerging anywhere?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Cobra said:

 

Why is Scotland failing so miserably to produce gifted players? Why the f**k are no Neil McCanns emerging anywhere?

Keep getting shot down for this... But I think the academies are to blame for the standard of players coming through... 

 

No competitive football until under 19s 

When I played Sunday boys football boys like Dailly, Dow, bollan no name a few were still playing at that level but were getting coach by united/ dundee.. It didn't do their careers any harm. 

Clubs should just pick the very best available and stop picking players to just be shirt fillers

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Cobra said:

Klopp was talking this week of having a team of Scousers conquering England and Europe.

Why is the idea of us having a team full of Dundonians at Dens so laughable? I get that a lot of best players go to Glasgow and elsewhere but I can't help thinking there's more to it.

Why is Scotland failing so miserably to produce gifted players? Why the f**k are no Neil McCanns emerging anywhere?

We've got more Scottish players playing in the big league in England than we have for a while, we're missing some key areas like CB and striker but at the top end I'd say we're healthier than we've been for a while.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, chomp my root said:

We've got more Scottish players playing in the big league in England than we have for a while, we're missing some key areas like CB and striker but at the top end I'd say we're healthier than we've been for a while.

Good point but we can say with some confidence that the next Billy Steel or Jimmy Johnstone or Ansu Fati is not going to emerge in Scotland. Obviously the fact that we don't play out in the streets all the time is a factor but there must be another reason why we don't produce any flair players like we used to. I'm guessing that coaches are too focused on big strong lads that wee guys with bags of skill are being overlooked.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Good point but we can say with some confidence that the next Billy Steel or Jimmy Johnstone or Ansu Fati is not going to emerge in Scotland. Obviously the fact that we don't play out in the streets all the time is a factor but there must be another reason why we don't produce any flair players like we used to. I'm guessing that coaches are too focused on big strong lads that wee guys with bags of skill are being overlooked.

I know what you mean, we don't really produce many 'mercurial' players, I'm no expert but it does seem we coach that out of players, we play percentages.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, charliedee said:

Keep getting shot down for this... But I think the academies are to blame for the standard of players coming through... 

 

No competitive football until under 19s 

When I played Sunday boys football boys like Dailly, Dow, bollan no name a few were still playing at that level but were getting coach by united/ dundee.. It didn't do their careers any harm. 

Clubs should just pick the very best available and stop picking players to just be shirt fillers

 

 

 

Maybe you have identified the problem, that players are not coming through the academies at a high enough standard but have picked on the wrong culprit? The academies can only go so far with coaching. To go to a higher level the youths have to play against better, and crucially more experienced players, and that's where the clubs themselves come in. The pressure to not lose a match trumps giving a young player a chance to progress and learn. The perception is that there are no games that can be used as an opportunity to bring on young players. Perhaps it needs some kind of rule change to make clubs play youngsters.

I can remember watching young players and they seemed to me to take more risks and just be more exciting to watch because of their unpredictability. Maybe we need to understand that not getting beat has been our basic plan for quite a while. What would happen if we tried playing youngsters as part of the plan? Needs the manager and the fans to be on the same page and I don't think the fans are ready to accept youngsters playing regularly in our first team.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

I know what you mean, we don't really produce many 'mercurial' players, I'm no expert but it does seem we coach that out of players, we play percentages.

You see it at the highest level available here. Play it out from the back comfortably "tippy tappy pish". Even attempting to enhance players ability (which can't be done overnight) is seen as some sort of nerd tactic.

What do we WANT? BETTER FOOTBALL 

When do we want it? GET THE BA UP THE FUKIN PARK! 

It's disheartening enough seeing parents do it to 10 year olds in the public parks, I can't even describe how it feels watching trumpets sat in the Derry telling Steven Caulker how to play football. Heartbreaking. Embarrassing. Nonsensical. Just a few words that give off how I feel. 

I loved listening to Craig Gordon. He wasn't comfortable at Celtic playing football. He knew he had to learn or he'd be gone. Rodgers told him to play it out to his CB's and he asked what would happen if he had men on him or wasn't in position. "Doesn't matter, not your problem. They will deal with it, or they will be shipped out." 

There is a whole level of composure and self belief we never allow children here to develop. They may start to develop it in later life but we need them to have that at a younger age so they can go on and learn more complex skills at an age where now, they're only learning to 100% believe in themselves. Miles behind as a nation and we are all to blame. It won't ever change as change isn't looked upon favourably in Scotland. 

  • Like 6
  • Star Post 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

I know what you mean, we don't really produce many 'mercurial' players, I'm no expert but it does seem we coach that out of players, we play percentages.

I was distraught aged 17 when told by I wasn't big enough to be a footballer at Scotland trials by a prominent coach despite playing out of my skin and scoring a wonder goal.

Clearly I was never going to make it anyway due to a lack of self-belief but I'd hate to think that attitude is still prevalent in 2020.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Cobra said:

I was distraught aged 17 when told by I wasn't big enough to be a footballer at Scotland trials by a prominent coach despite playing out of my skin and scoring a wonder goal.

Clearly I was never going to make it anyway due to a lack of self-belief but I'd hate to think that attitude is still prevalent in 2020.

I’ve posted this before, sadly this is the major problem in Scottish football, if your not 5f 10 plus or a speed demon, they are not interested in you and it doesn’t matter how good you are, the other major problem is we release players for to soon from the youth set ups all over the UK. People progress at deferent levels and might take longer to develop, I’ve  seen fantastic young player realised by clubs at young age and they are either lost to football forever or go junior or if lucky enough in the lower leagues.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MATO DEE @ said:

I’ve posted this before, sadly this is the major problem in Scottish football, if your not 5f 10 plus or a speed demon, they are not interested in you and it doesn’t matter how good you are, the other major problem is we release players for to soon from the youth set ups all over the UK. People progress at deferent levels and might take longer to develop, I’ve  seen fantastic young player realised by clubs at young age and they are either lost to football forever or go junior or if lucky enough in the lower leagues.

How depressing. I'm not suggesting I was in the same league as Gary Harkins and Chic Charnley but I had the same philosophy. Football is about entertainment, or at least it should be IMO, and favouring big lads over gifted young players is a tragedy. For a supposedly football-loving country we seem to have got it horribly wrong.

I think Billy Stark said that Messi wouldn't have made it in Scotland, and I don't think he was joking.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.